15GT going sink 12/13 boss values?

Naturesmistake

Established Member
They lose more money because those cars u mentioned are a lot more to begin with. S197 loses way more percentage than vetted and bmw's. C'mon use principals of proportion

At work but yes, they are more to buy in to...
However, here is a rough estimate.
Low milage 05 Mustang GT=17k now and 25k new= 32% loss
Low milage 06 M5= 26k now and 90k new= 71% loss
O5 Corvette= About 25k now, 45k new= 44% loss
Just estimates to illustrate what I meant. Long story short? Buy a used Bimmer if you go BMW lol. However in all seriousness, this just shows that depreciation isn't terrible. A big part of that is because of a lower entry point as you stated. Being a cheaper yet desirable car keeps them from kicking your ass too bad in the first few years.

Last edited:

htk084

Established Member
At work but yes, they are more to buy in to...
However, here is a rough estimate.
Low milage 05 Mustang GT=17k now and 25k new= 32% loss
Low milage 06 M5= 26k now and 90k new= 71% loss
O5 Corvette= About 25k now, 45k new= 44% loss
Just estimates to illustrate what I meant. Long story short? Buy a used Bimmer if you go BMW lol. However in all seriousness, this just shows that depreciation isn't terrible. A big part of that is because of a lower entry point as you stated. Being a cheaper yet desirable car keeps them from kicking your ass too bad in the first few years.

I see where ur going with that. However, an 05 GT was more than 25k. Not only that, an 06 M5 with low miles is more like 35k. And an 05 corvette with low miles is more like 28-30k. Also, keep in mind that the m5 and corvette are the previous generation. We still are technically in the s197 generation. A more accurate comparison would be like an 08 M3 because just like te mustang, they are about to get a new generation but don't have it yet. And an 08 M3 holds it's value very well.

By the way, the V10 M5 depreciated WAY more than all other bimmers for whatever reason

Naturesmistake

Established Member
The 05 and C6 also had dealer mark ups I forgot to include... lol... True, a new gen is coming and we'll have to see what happens. Yeah I'm assuming it's the maintence for the E60 (same for the E39, it's probably the cheapest entry point for a used 400 hp car right now) as it is probably the most dramatic example. Don't see why else. Got to drive one for a short time and enjoyed it. I'm all about Merica, but it was a really cool ride.

Last edited:

bossman302

Banned
The Bosses are not rare cars. They will lose value proportianate like just about any other car. The '15 GT will not do it, time alone will. Maybe in 10-15 years the price on them will stop dropping, but I dont see them going up afterwards like the classics.

And you Dared call me a TROLL!

Boss Will be worth more than any Regular GT!

And to say a 2015 Mass Produced Mustang GT won't lose Value Makes you an IDIOT! All new cars lose Value.

olaosunt

Established Member
I see where ur going with that. However, an 05 GT was more than 25k. Not only that, an 06 M5 with low miles is more like 35k. And an 05 corvette with low miles is more like 28-30k. Also, keep in mind that the m5 and corvette are the previous generation. We still are technically in the s197 generation. A more accurate comparison would be like an 08 M3 because just like te mustang, they are about to get a new generation but don't have it yet. And an 08 M3 holds it's value very well.

By the way, the V10 M5 depreciated WAY more than all other bimmers for whatever reason

Don't know about the 08 M3.
Best I have been offered on my 09 M3 with 55,000 miles is $29,000 trade in.($63000 new) .
Thinking about getting out of it now with the 2015 M3 about to be released.
On the other hand last V8 M3 so may hold it value,like the RS4

kingnut

Established Member
Maybe, but in the end; you will still have just a GT. The Boss owners will have a limited run Boss 302 that is no longer in production.

the only differences being the car has the name BOSS on it, is used, and guys are trying to get 10k more than a brand new GT. that will be equal or greater than on every performance aspect and also brand spanking new.

You really don't know much about how car values work. They sold just over 8000 Boss 302's. Their will be about 10-20 times as many S550 GT's. Boss 302's will always be worth big money based on limited production. The S550 like ALL mustang GT's will eventually fall to 20% value of original MSRP. Go look at old muscle cars what do you think sells more at auction the rare 69-70 Boss 302 or the higher performance GT with a 351 or 390 that they made a ton more of.

And who said better engine. From what I read the new S550 has an inferior intake manifold, heads that are not CNC ported (just more flow no specifics at what lift range that flow is at) like the roadrunner, a lower redline, and running weak cast pistons unlike the Boss. The only thing the new S550 has on the Boss is 1mm of lift on the intake cam and bigger valves.

I'd be honestly shocked if the S550 GT put down as much power as the BOSS 302. Like I said the only power producing mods it has over the BOSS is 1mm on the intake cam and bigger valves. But going against it has lower flowing heads, a much worse intake manifold that is now further restricted with CM plates and a lower redline then the BOSS. Not to mention more drivetrain loss with IRS. It's not a sure bet that the S550 will outgun the BOSS.

regardless of what you just said the 15GT will drop BOSS prices in the immediate future. the market has guys still asking full retail and more for their bosses with 8 to 15k miles on them. when you can get a lot of car if you bought a 15GT base and i bet it will out road course the boss stock vs stock. 20 years down the road the boss will be worth more because they will be rare and some will collect them.

the 15GT also has forged rods (stronger than the boss), forged/redesigned crank (made for high RPM), bigger intake valves, mid cam phasers, higher compression ratio, and swapping a used boss mani on it isnt that big of a deal and cheap. not to mention with the 10k people are gonna save is gonna put a blower, suspension, and exhaust on the 15GT.

And to say a 2015 Mass Produced Mustang GT won't lose Value Makes you an IDIOT! All new cars lose Value.

dude you need to go back and read what he said. you completely misread it. and thanks for enlightening us that all new cars lose value.

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member

As does your reading comprehension.

blackvette101

Established Member
regardless of what you just said the 15GT will drop BOSS prices in the immediate future. the market has guys still asking full retail and more for their bosses with 8 to 15k miles on them. when you can get a lot of car if you bought a 15GT base and i bet it will out road course the boss stock vs stock. 20 years down the road the boss will be worth more because they will be rare and some will collect them.

the 15GT also has forged rods (stronger than the boss), forged/redesigned crank (made for high RPM), bigger intake valves, mid cam phasers, higher compression ratio, and swapping a used boss mani on it isnt that big of a deal and cheap. not to mention with the 10k people are gonna save is gonna put a blower, suspension, and exhaust on the 15GT.

It has the BOSS rods it has the same forged crank as always (why would they redesign is for high rpm if ford announced it will keep the same max rpm) the cam phasers are for torque. it does not have higher compression. and the ability for some to modify their car via the aftermarket manifold does little to resale value.

Yes they will drop alittle but you realize their is more to car values then road course times right? you realize if the S550 does edge out the boss it won't be by much ford announced they wanted boss like levels of performance. Regardless of what you say Boss values won't "sink" (your words) solely on rarity.

You want proof go look at the 93 cobra's even though they are slow as hell. They are rare and still sell for 10k+ with high mileage for a stock one well a regular GT both fox and sn95 with high mileage sells for 2-3k. Their is more to resale value then performance whether you accept it or not. It still sells for more then the higher performing new edge GT and SN95 cobra just because its rarer.

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
It has the BOSS rods it has the same forged crank as always (why would they redesign is for high rpm if ford announced it will keep the same max rpm) the cam phasers are for torque. it does not have higher compression. and the ability for some to modify their car via the aftermarket manifold does little to resale value.

Yes they will drop alittle but you realize their is more to car values then road course times right? you realize if the S550 does edge out the boss it won't be by much ford announced they wanted boss like levels of performance. Regardless of what you say Boss values won't "sink" (your words) solely on rarity.

You want proof go look at the 93 cobra's even though they are slow as hell. They are rare and still sell for 10k+ with high mileage for a stock one well a regular GT both fox and sn95 with high mileage sells for 2-3k. Their is more to resale value then performance whether you accept it or not. It still sells for more then the higher performing new edge GT and SN95 cobra just because its rarer.

the thing is that the 93 cobras were the first (svt) cobras and remained the quickest until 03/04

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
the 32v 4.6 NA cobras were faster then the 93. like i said their is a lot more to resale value then its performance vs the new models.

a buddy of mine had a 32v cobra and we would get smoked by a very stock sounding 93 cobra this was a really long time ago. about 10 years ago. maybe the cobra had something we didnt know. But being the first of a kind must have boosted their value. hell even stock nice condition notch backs are very pricy this days. the fox body is coveted maybe thats why the 93 cobra is also so expensive.

kingnut

Established Member
i guess everyone has different taste. but for me i would go with the 15GT for the money.

Last edited:

LostPony

Established Member
I fully expect the new GT will outperform my Boss. I don't care because I am keeping my Boss, regardless of how good the GT is, or the next track ready Mustang Ford decides to put out. Whether or not my car keeps it's value is irrelevant since I don't plan to sell, but I do expect it will always fall somewhere between a GT and a GT500 of equivalent year and condition price wise.

bossman302

Banned
the only differences being the car has the name BOSS on it, is used, and guys are trying to get 10k more than a brand new GT. that will be equal or greater than on every performance aspect and also brand spanking new.

dude you need to go back and read what he said. you completely misread it. and thanks for enlightening us that all new cars lose value.

I read it several times, and every time I read it, It sounds like he is saying the 2015 will not lose it's value. Now I am a little slow, but maybe you can help me out, LMAP

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Like others have stated, time alone will depreciate the Boss. And what source are you going to base the depreciation on, KBB :lol: Real mustang/car enthusiasts will know what the Boss 302 is worth and they will be just fine in the used car market. Take a look at '93 cobras, terminators, S281 Saleen etc. Anyone with those cars would be foolish to trade it in or sell it at KBB pricing.

Personally I love my Boss and dont plan on selling it anyways. I'm a basic guy that does not like all the bells and whistles. Which is why the no power seats, cloth recaros and standard stereo fit me just fine :)

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
He boss was the best ford could do at the time.

And it was worth it to all buyers.

Now there is ann all new car.

It would be ridiculous for ford to purposely leave performance on the table just because buyers of the previous car want to have their car stay the best.

It's progress. It's a good thing.

If the new gt outperforms the boss, just imagine what the next boos/gt500 equivalents will do.

That's something to get excited about.

4VFTW

Established Member
probably not because there are always those who collect rare/important cars as investments. Those people will prop the value up , but to those who are looking for the most performance from their car buying dollar the Boss will be just another has been performance car with cool stripes.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Boss is fully forged from the factory........I think that will help it hold value for awhile. Sure the 15 has forged rods, but the pistons arent forged so that will still hold it back for big power. Its nice to be able to make big power out of a factory car without even cracking open the motor. The boss can do this and it handles like a dream already........

Users who are viewing this thread