160 vs 180 thermostat

JCDriller

Established Member
Hey guys I just swapped my turbo Saleen over to the Cobra Engineering cross over delete which moves the thermostat to the inlet side of the radiator. It uses a standard Chevy 350 thermostat that is available in 160 or 180*+ I currently have the 160* thermostat installed and everything is working well, but what is the ideal temp for these engines? The swing seems to be about 150-170 in the current cooler fall air.

Thoughts?
C255258B-2E17-414E-BD14-23E4D5CC6B63.jpeg

RainyP71

Established Member
Subbed. Love your vids man. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I've got a similar stat setup but I run the 180 deg F one. Ford really liked to run these engines hot in the 200F+ range. I don't have data for these specific engines but usually atomization isn't ideal at 160 deg F and below- it's a lot better at 180 deg F and above. In my drive cycle it's usually more cooling package/fan controlled than thermostat though. But I also don't go out that much when it's real cold.

JCDriller

Established Member
I've got a similar stat setup but I run the 180 deg F one. Ford really liked to run these engines hot in the 200F+ range. I don't have data for these specific engines but usually atomization isn't ideal at 160 deg F and below- it's a lot better at 180 deg F and above. In my drive cycle it's usually more cooling package/fan controlled than thermostat though. But I also don't go out that much when it's real cold.

The car will be driven in the evenings down to about 50*, lots of 75/80* days that turn into 45-50* at night.

I ordered a 180, we’ll see how it goes. The car is a 3 core radiator and is turbo with a giant fan controlled by the Holley so it definitely runs cool. Once I get on the highway the temps drop and won’t come up much above 150. I’m betting the 180 will land me around the 170 on the highway which I like. If not they make a 195, but that’s likely hotter than I want.

Users who are viewing this thread