16lb Spec FW vs. Idle

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
I just replaced my blown stock clutch with a Spec stage 3 (w/ pedal effort mod) and replaced the chunked stock FW with a 16lb Spec aluminum piece. I expected my idle to be off, but i cant seem to get it. It's either idleing solid at 2k rpm (PITA and annoying) or going from 1k rpm to nearly dying at less than 500 rpm and then picking itself back up to 1.5k or 2k and repeating (extremely annoying). It also threw a code at me the first time it started to die, i'm assuming b/c of the IACV working it's tail off to keep the thing running. Getting the code checked out tomorrow to confirm. Any ideas or experience on getting a lightweight flywheel to idle "decently" for a daily driver? Additional recent mods include: Steeda double hook quad. and adj. clutch cable (to accomodate the lighter spec clutch) and Steeda firewall adjuster.

cursixx

Established Member
i just replaced my stock flywheel with a spec aluminum fw and spec 3+ clutch/pp and did not have this problem. mine idles just like it did before the swap but not to say thats not your problem.

did you mess with anything else while the trans and flywheel was off?

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
check your work

maybe knocked a vaccum line off the back of the blower somewhere ?????

SlowSVT

Established Member
The stock flywheel weighs 11 lbs. so your engine would actually idle smoother then before. It's not your flywheel.

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
Just pulled the CEL codes today. both o2 sensors reading lean. so it's running in open loop right now (smells great). I did some further research and asked a few other people. +1 to 68 GT. I think i've sprouted a vacuum leak somewhere or knocked a vacuum line off. Going to diagnose soon.

Users who are viewing this thread