17 Roush RS3 vs 13 Gt500

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
.... However the new mustangs of any sort don't have the WOW factor a gt500 has. It's as simple as that. I was debating a brand new fully loaded GT or 13-14 Shelby. Glad I went with the Shelby and never looked back. I have other mustangs of ALL kinds (including new roush) on the road giving me thumbs up and smiles all day when I'm cruising in the trinity. I did not get this car for that reason by any means but other people's reactions tell me I made the right decision........ the dealership when I got there I was in awe, "wow, am I really actually going to sit in this car? Am I actually going to own a GT500?!" I realize I'm not the only one who thinks this when I'm in the road. #resellfactor

So you bought your GT500 to impress others?

Had a 2016 loaner while my GT500 was in the shop. I cannot imagine how anyone could think a 2015 is a much better car.....

Ford thinks the s550 is better. There are several reasons the s550 is "better". If it weren't, the GT350 and upcoming 500 would still be based on the s197, but obviously it/they arent.

I could never live with a 15-18 GT after owning two GT500s......even if it could win in a boring straight line battle.....

Straight line battle is main area where the GT500 shines. If you bought it because of its "comfort" or "handling prowess" you had a solid salesman.

joshbeckett500

First off, this was not a race, but today, I got a chance to test a 2017 RS3 with an auto trans.
I went in with an open mind.
This one was a 670 hp car.
Right off, I was missing the GT500 power or torque. The Roush is nice, power good, auto trans was nice. But just not enough to make me want to trade my 13 GT500 for it.
On my drive home, I was thinking just how good my stock Shelby really is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I also feel the same. I'm gunna get a lot a slack but I test drove a Porsche 911 (my wife made me do it) and right off the bat I said. "My Shelby is better than this" and the look on the dealers face hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Drewsky65

Established Member
Gimme11's

no, i just solidified my decision by others reactions. other mustang owners told me I made the correct decision.

Drewsky65

Established Member
Drewsky, your #resellfactor cracked me up. I've been watching the value of these cars continually go down over the past couple years. I'm not sure if they'll hold value proportionally like the terminators. Only time and the next GT500 will tell.

Sent from my XT1575 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

pretty sure they will. all the GT500's hold value real good so far, the 13-14 are already more sought after. there isn't any mustang that will hold value better than Shelby.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
Ford thinks the s550 is better. There are several reasons the s550 is "better". If it weren't, the GT350 and upcoming 500 would still be based on the s197, but obviously it/they arent.

Well if Ford thought they were better then, they would charge more for them. MSRP on my GT500 is higher than any S550 other than a GT350R. Ford thought the GT500 was pretty special or buyers were pretty crazy. (I will agree with either.) There are no reasons it is better for me. If you think it is better then buy one! Might want to drive a 13/14 GT500 first though.

Straight line battle is main area where the GT500 shines. If you bought it because of its "comfort" or "handling prowess" you had a solid salesman.

You might want to check out a modified auto coyote for straight line performance. There are more than a few in my area that my GT500 would watch go through the lights out the windshield. Any time you want to see my GT500s handling prowess, come to VIR and find out. I didnt want a car that vibrates uncontrollably, heats the tranny to the point of shut down, and has multiple engine failures on track. I studied the GT350 extensivly and decided to pass. If I wanted a full on track car I would have modded a Boss 302. I wanted a car to drive on track and enjoy on the street. The GT500 is very good on track and much more comfortable on a trip as I have driven both on trips. Two days on track and 500 miles home and not an issue. I bought it because it is the greatest Mustang ever made!

I did buy a F150 for comfort and yes I have an incredible salesman......he loves me!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Well if Ford thought they were better then, they would charge more for them. MSRP on my GT500 is higher than any S550 other than a GT350R. Ford thought the GT500 was pretty special or buyers were pretty crazy. (I will agree with either.) There are no reasons it is better for me. If you think it is better then buy one! Might want to drive a 13/14 GT500 first though.

Hmm. So you are saying the GT500 is better than the GT350 and any S550 because it costed more in 2014? Lol. I've heard a bunch of arguments from the Shelby guys about why their cars are so epic, but this one takes the cake. Congrats!

For what its worth, I have 0 desire to drive a 13/14 Shelby. I own a 2007. In its current form, my car performs just as well as a stock 13/14 car. My car and your car both have the same (minus the blower), old-tech motor. They have the exact same chassis; boring, nose heavy and out of balance, NO comparison to an S550.

You might want to check out a modified auto coyote for straight line performance. There are more than a few in my area that my GT500 would watch go through the lights out the windshield. Any time you want to see my GT500s handling prowess, come to VIR and find out. I didnt want a car that vibrates uncontrollably, heats the tranny to the point of shut down, and has multiple engine failures on track. I studied the GT350 extensivly and decided to pass. If I wanted a full on track car I would have modded a Boss 302. I wanted a car to drive on track and enjoy on the street. The GT500 is very good on track and much more comfortable on a trip as I have driven both on trips. Two days on track and 500 miles home and not an issue. I bought it because it is the greatest Mustang ever made

Ive owned a twin turbo Coyote. Im fully aware of how superior the architecture of that motor is compared to ours.

A track pack GT350 would make a mockery of a Boss 302. You are arguing your point with the exception--The tech pack gt350. I don't know of any overheating documented failures of track pack equipped 350's.

Comparing a GT500 to a GT350 on a road course is foolish. Just stop with that while youre ahead.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
pretty sure they will. all the GT500's hold value real good so far, the 13-14 are already more sought after. there isn't any mustang that will hold value better than Shelby.

More sought after than what? Sub 10k mile trinity gt500's are already in the mid and lower 40's.

I would like to think the Shelby will hold its value better than the 03/04 Cobra, but as of today, it certainly isn't going that way.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
Hmm. So you are saying the GT500 is better than the GT350 and any S550 because it costed more in 2014? Lol. I've heard a bunch of arguments from the Shelby guys about why their cars are so epic, but this one takes the cake. Congrats!

And it takes the cake because it is correct.

For what its worth, I have 0 desire to drive a 13/14 Shelby. I own a 2007. In its current form, my car performs just as well as a stock 13/14 car. My car and your car both have the same (minus the blower), old-tech motor. They have the exact same chassis; boring, nose heavy and out of balance, NO comparison to an S550.

It is obvious you have never driven one. Again, come to VIR and lets see if your car performs "just as well" as my 14. (One experience at VIR might change your screen name to Gimme2:10s!!!) Read a little more about what SVT did to make the 13/14 good on a road course. Do not drive one, it will ruin your fantasy.

Ive owned a twin turbo Coyote. Im fully aware of how superior the architecture of that motor is compared to ours.

Then why say the Shelby is superior in a straight line?

A track pack GT350 would make a mockery of a Boss 302. You are arguing your point with the exception--The tech pack gt350. I don't know of any overheating documented failures of track pack equipped 350's.

Not the exception, you need to do a little more research here. I have talked to people who know and spent hours deciding what to do. they have had issues with "R" cars splittling blocks and heat and vibration issues. Actually go on track sometime and you will realize that just because Road and Track says it will do a 2:20 at VIR or where ever it is not always the case. I have friends with Boss 302s that few GT350s could touch. There is more driver involvement with these cars than straight line stuff.

Comparing a GT500 to a GT350 on a road course is foolish. Just stop with that while youre ahead.

Ever been on track with a GT350? I have. Here is a little help with your research.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...und-the-track-in-two-minutes-and-ten-seconds/

I am ahead because I am right....the Greatest Mustang ever made. "I have no desire to drive a 13/14 Shelby" says all there is to say! BTW....I have had the same discussion with my sons as they love the styling of the S550, I like your car much better.

blue 07

Established Member

You have 0 desire to drive a 13/14 Shelby ? Being an owner of both, are you crazy !! I get out of my 07 and hop into my 13 Shelby and your in a completely different car. The feel, the ride, the insane power from my 13 does not compare. I absolutely love both of my stangs but you cant compare an 07 to a 13 and not come away from it saying they are the same.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
gimmie11s, why are you always in this part of the forum talking shit when you've never even driven the car? We get it, you're a 13/14 hater. At least go drive one so you'll have some idea of what you're talking about. If you could do that, that'd be great.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

Im fully aware of how superior the architecture of that motor is compared to ours.

More sought after than what? Sub 10k mile trinity gt500's are already in the mid and lower 40's.

I would like to think the Shelby will hold its value better than the 03/04 Cobra, but as of today, it certainly isn't going that way.

You and I have seen eye to eye 99.3215% of the time on this forum but I think you might have gotten a little carried away with the above points, they are just not correct.

I'd let you hop in my turd and find out for yourself, were you in my area. ;)

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
gimmie11s, why are you always in this part of the forum talking shit when you've never even driven the car? We get it, you're a 13/14 hater. At least go drive one so you'll have some idea of what you're talking about. If you could do that, that'd be great.

Ive driven one. Not a hater of the 13/14 by any stretch. Its a great car. However, there are compromises made when buying one (motor is arguably weaker than the Condor--building a trinity is extremely expensive).

Most trinity owners have this blind allegiance to the car that i find laughable. I was in a financial position to buy anything in the $75k range and consciously decided to buy the 07 i have now because it is far and away the best fit, the best bargain, and easiest path to get to my goals for a play car.

You and I have seen eye to eye 99.3215% of the time on this forum but I think you might have gotten a little carried away with the above points, they are just not correct.

I'd let you hop in my turd and find out for yourself, were you in my area. ;)

I know you would and i can take the criticism from you based on our history. Knowing you are an honest opinion, i can accept it.

LOL. Might want to actually research the differences between an 07 and a 13. Helluva lot more than a blower.

I have. You might want to read up yourself. Sounds like you'd be shocked to know that Ford actually put a more powerful blower on a weaker, more expensive motor with the trinity. Bad move Ford!

Imatk

Established Member
I've always wanted to have an aluminum block in my '07... mainly for the weight savings.

But from everyone I've spoken with it's not a massive difference, but there is a difference.

That being said, I own an '07 so I'd replace it with the 11-12 block, not Trinity for obvious reasons.

From what I've read (and I'm certainly no expert) if you're looking to mod a GT500, the 13-14 isn't the best platform because of the smaller tolerance on the cylinder walls and other things that make it expensive.

BUT... you have a 662 hp car in STOCK form. So if it were me I'd put the key in it and drive it and not even think about modding it.

I would love to own a 13-14 because it seems like a fantastic car, but I don't have the cash... maybe one day :)

But if that day comes I won't be modding it at all... 662 is plenty for me.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I know you would and i can take the criticism from you based on our history. Knowing you are an honest opinion, i can accept it.

tenor.gif

stanger1

Established Member
OP here,
One thing to remember is that everyone is different and may be looking for different things in a car that can either make or break for that person.
For me, I love Torque, that deep down growling pulling torque from way down low and the GT500 has that.
I did like how the 17 RS3 did everything, but the price difference, the VIN, which would just show it as a Mustang GT, vs my 13 GT500, I just could not leave the GT500.
On the test drive, yes, the 17 RS3 rear suspension was very planted and absorbed the bumps and ridges in the road better than my 500.
Car was almost boring in that I did not have to do anything, just floor it.
Where's the fun, the feel, the experience.
That was a big reason to not trade for the 2017 RS3! And the money, lol

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
You have 0 desire to drive a 13/14 Shelby ? Being an owner of both, are you crazy !! I get out of my 07 and hop into my 13 Shelby and your in a completely different car. The feel, the ride, the insane power from my 13 does not compare. I absolutely love both of my stangs but you cant compare an 07 to a 13 and not come away from it saying they are the same.
LOL. Might want to actually research the differences between an 07 and a 13. Helluva lot more than a blower.

Don't feed the troll, guys... Easier to simply block posts coming from haters speaking from a position of ignorance.

Users who are viewing this thread