179 mile 93 on ebay

fecarman

Yep, they really sludge up in 179 miles. I think you should talk to a chemical engineer. I'll remember all of your intelligent critcism the next time I store a car for 14 years in a temperature controlled environment. I think that I would be more concerned with a used Cobra that has had the dog snot knocked out of it at the drag strip or on the street but wow it had the oil changed every week. I think you should try to come up with more negatives, it's the american way. I am really amused at the criticism thrown at other peoples cars that are posted on e-bay. I guess it is sport with some people. I say get a life. By the way I have already had two local buyers look at the car and listen to the car and guess what, their offer is higher than the current e-bay bid. The current high bidder on e-bay is a dealer. What does that tell you. I have had this car for 14 years and if I sell it there won"t be anything left for a dealer. I think that I'll go and check the molecular break down in my oil and thanks for all of the deep thinking.

scootro

Established Member
Yep, they really sludge up in 179 miles. I think you should talk to a chemical engineer. I'll remember all of your intelligent critcism the next time I store a car for 14 years in a temperature controlled environment. I think that I would be more concerned with a used Cobra that has had the dog snot knocked out of it at the drag strip or on the street but wow it had the oil changed every week. I think you should try to come up with more negatives, it's the american way. I am really amused at the criticism thrown at other peoples cars that are posted on e-bay. I guess it is sport with some people. I say get a life. By the way I have already had two local buyers look at the car and listen to the car and guess what, their offer is higher than the current e-bay bid. The current high bidder on e-bay is a dealer. What does that tell you. I have had this car for 14 years and if I sell it there won"t be anything left for a dealer. I think that I'll go and check the molecular break down in my oil and thanks for all of the deep thinking.

it is a nice car!!!!!!!! :bash:

Last edited:

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member

oil doesnt have a 14 year shelf life. Next time you pick up a car like this. At least change the oil. Remember now. 3k miles or 3 months. I hope you dont have the same tank of gas in there too

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Did you see his response to some guy about buying a car with miles and looking for the drag stip slip under the seat? I think it's official that this guy is a tool! Nice car though!

LOL. If somebody bought my car they wouldn't have to look underneath the seat for a timeslip. I would give them an envelope that has nearly 275 of them.

The sludge comment is so true :nono:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Orig. oil and you drove the car for very short distances over 14 years? Can I pave my driveway with the amount of sludge in that engine?
What is wrong with you, did you actually believe that a short trip up the block would be "easier" on your car than a nice lengthly highway trip?

Hummm, I have 5 cobras, two of which have under 500 original miles right now. The 93 and 00R currently have their original oil and filter in place. Just as a routine I check the oils any time these vehicles are moved. No sign of sludge at all on the dipstick, infact the oil looks and feels as new. As far as I know, usually, if there is a sludge issue, at least the oil will begin to discolor?? Is this not true? Since you guys brought this up, I even looked in the valve cover oil fill with a flashlight, no sludge there either, usually this area and the intake valley are the sludge collectors. Are you sure that you are not thinking of short trips that would have put plenty more miles over 14 years, not only 179? Yes short trips do cause oil to sludge, but 179 miles over 14 years?

My experience in the past with engines and sludge have had significantly more miles on them to start with and the oil changes were not as often as recommended for their use/miles. I also have noticed that engine with sludge issues also seem to have a tell-tail sign of oil stain above the oil level on the dipstick itself. This stain is very hard to remove and most times it will not come off. My sticks look as they would on a new car, no stain. I have a feeling you would find this 179 mile Cobra to be the same way.

I think a very large sludge factor is the brand and quality of oil used, along with the miles and usage of the vehicle.

I have a feeling that the owner of this Cobra is like me, even if I do not take the car(s) out for a drive often, the car(s) still get started regularly and run to operating temperature for full oil circulation/lubrication in the engine.<<But in this case, miles do not accumulate on the odometer. The rest of the drivetrain gets lubricated when the car is driven which can be a very short distance. It does not take many revolutions to lube the trans. and diff. gears and if I remember correctly the rear wheel bearings are sealed.<<I think? aren't they?

--------------------------

I just went to the "Engine Oil Bible" site to read more about engine oils and shelf life. The main concern I see is the storage evironment in which the oil is stored and 'heat" as I had mentioned at the beginning of this thread. Heat, especially excessive heat as mentioned on this site as the main issue, and the oxidation of the oil that follows. It also mentioned discoloration s it oxidizes. The person on that site says that keeping oil and using it later is usually not good (beyond about 3 years) because the vehicle that you are about to pure it into, probably has different oil specs./standards that the 3+ year old oil you have in your hand.<<This would not be the case with this 179 mile Cobra, it has the exact Ford spec. oil recomended for it in 1993.

--------------------------

But to be honest, I am slowly working all of my cars toward newer oil techology, synthetic blend at first, and then maybe full synthetic. It is costly!

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I hope you dont have the same tank of gas in there too

Now fuel is a different story, The government requires that fuel has a very short storage life. They do not want people storing fuel. It will go bad quickly. Sta-bil will help with that. Fuel storage is what Sta-bil was designed to do, but how long is that good for? I'm not sure.

R

Last edited:

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
I do not have an ultra low mile cobra so, as a result, I do not have the fortunate "problem" of having original oil in my engine. However, I thought the rationale for changing the oil the earliest of every 3 months or 3K miles was to minimalize any mositure absorbtion by the oil. Obviously changing oil based on mileage comes downs to potential oil breakdown and contamination but I always thought changing oil based on time (months) was to help prevent moisture build-up and absorbtion. I appreciate any thoughts.

Lastly, what is the rationale for keeping the original oil? Is it just so the car has one more thing that is original?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Hummm, I have 5 cobras, two of which have under 500 original miles right now. The 93 and 00R currently have their original oil and filter in place. Just as a routine I check the oils any time these vehicles are moved. No sign of sludge at all on the dipstick, infact the oil looks and feels as new. As far as I know, usually, if there is a sludge issue, at least the oil will begin to discolor?? Is this not true?

R

Yes the oil should be a different color if any of it has changed to sludge. Personally I would be real hesitant about starting or driving a car that has had the same oil in it more than a year. But that is just Lee's perspective and not the gospel.

kfrg

Banned
You are right, the issue of a sludge infested engine would be more of a concern if he had more miles. But it's still not good in any way I can see. The risk of contamination is there right after he turned the key. After a few 100 miles the oil is dirty with carbon and other byproduct.
I guess I took the sludge jab at this guy just because it makes no sense why in 14 years of ownership he never bothered to change the oil. He also went out of his way in his Ebay ad to point out that he only drove the car around the block as if that was doing the car any good. Take the damn thing for a highway cruise, heat that oil up and let it burn off all of that moisture and other crap. Then change the oil like everyone else does.
Who buys a car and only puts a few miles on it in 14 years?

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
You are right, the issue of a sludge infested engine would be more of a concern if he had more miles. But it's still not good in any way I can see. The risk of contamination is there right after he turned the key. After a few 100 miles the oil is dirty with carbon and other byproduct.
I guess I took the sludge jab at this guy just because it makes no sense why in 14 years of ownership he never bothered to change the oil. He also went out of his way in his Ebay ad to point out that he only drove the car around the block as if that was doing the car any good. Take the damn thing for a highway cruise, heat that oil up and let it burn off all of that moisture and other crap. Then change the oil like everyone else does.
Who buys a car and only puts a few miles on it in 14 years?

But if he takes it out for a cruise, the miles pile up and the $$$ drops. It is sad to say that, but it appears that this is the current reality. This owner apparently was not interested in taking it for a cruise, but instead keeping an ultra low mile 93 Cobra around for the time when he decides to cash out.

In reality, how many people have cars of this age, with this few miles and can speak first hand about their condition?

I would have another concern though, the cooling system. The mix of aluminum, cast iron, and rubber along with old coolant can be a problem that from the outside appears fine, but it could be deteriorating from the inside out. A PH test at the radiator cap will tell all.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I do not have an ultra low mile cobra so, as a result, I do not have the fortunate "problem" of having original oil in my engine. However, I thought the rationale for changing the oil the earliest of every 3 months or 3K miles was to minimalize any mositure absorbtion by the oil. Obviously changing oil based on mileage comes downs to potential oil breakdown and contamination but I always thought changing oil based on time (months) was to help prevent moisture build-up and absorbtion. I appreciate any thoughts.

Lastly, what is the rationale for keeping the original oil? Is it just so the car has one more thing that is original?

My guess is that there should be minimal moisture getting into the engine if in fact the car has been stored in a climate controlled environment (A/C). That is a must. There is a common myth that a heated garage is fine for car storage. Usually, this is a method used "up north". Unless the garage is completely air tight, (which most are not since they have an overhead door) moisture, especially during many months of the year when humidity is 100% outside when it is snowing, sleeting and raining, will make its way inside. What happens when cold moist air hits the heated air? Some of it dries, but much of it condensates. Condensation is moisture, that's not what needs to be around a raw/bare aluminum, steel, cast iron, etc. Anything that is not painted or coated will rust or oxidize. If at all possible the moisture needs to be removed from the air. A dehumidifier, along with the heater would be the best choice when A/C is not an option. You got to get rid of the moisture.

The purpose for the original oil? No good reason that I know of except to keep the original assy. line gray painted oil filter in place??

R

Last edited:

ModularMax

Fast Cars & Freedom
Established Member
bid is already at 28,900$ with 26 bidders and 4 days left to bid

can we say wise investment anyone?

lets see a 93 vette get that kind of retail

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

If we are comparing a top of the line Mustang, then it would also have to be a top of the line Corvette for the comparision. The 1993 ZR1, 405H.P. 6spd. The Mercury Marine venture with GM. I would bet that a 1993 ZR1, with this kind of ultra low miles would bring good $$$ also, beyond what is cost in 1993?<<<This would be to a Corvette guy who is into those specific ZR1 cars. But the ZR1 is a very specialized Corvette in comparision to the others of the same year (actually 1990-1995), and the buyer is also unique.

But, I agree that this 1993 SVT Cobra is doing well, but so far as of now, we are only talking about approx. $10K over its original price 14 years ago?<<<And the guy couldn't even use it during that time of the price would degrade. How much was a 1993 Cobra? $19K or $20K when new?<<Am I way off?

R

Last edited:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
How much was a 1993 Cobra? $19K or $20K when new?<<Am I way off?

My car when new:

193650.jpg

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member

what planet are you from comparing a 93 vette to a 93 cobra? As far as investment, making 10k over the course of 15 years is not good investment strategy. If he were to keep it for another 10-15 years it will prolly fetch alot more but still its not worth riding it thinkin your gonna hit a gold mine. You must be a young guy

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
OMG :eek: ...someone's gonna spend a fortune but WOW...are they gonna be taking home a gem!

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread