$1850 later

Little_SVT_Man

Established Member
I bought a 2003 Cobra four years ago with 67,000 miles, now it has 78,000 miles. Anyways, when I bought it, the tires were bald, the differential was leaking, and the car was a mess!

Well, just last week, I did a little first gear pull, and SNAP, it sounded like glass shattering, more like nuts & bolts hitting the pavement. Vibration could be felt decelerating or backing up.

Took my car up to the transmission shop and had it inspected on the hoist. Upon inspection, it appears that the rear mounting bracket had given out! The rubber composite inside the mount was torn to shreds.

$1850 later, she's back on the road. I had the differential cover upgraded to the Ford Racing differential cover, and let me tell you, it's a beautiful piece! I had my rear axle seals replaced along with a new pinion seal.

My only mistake during the process... I didn't upgrade the differential mounts to the delrin (fulltiltboogie stuff)

IMG_20120810_172119.gif

IMG_20120810_172130.gif

IMG_20120810_182042.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

TRBO VNM

How on earth did this run you $1850???? Please tell me thats including the new tires???

yeah, WTF cost that much? And if the rear mount bushing was trashed, why not replace the bushing with the FTBR parts? that makes absolutely no sense.

Seriously, parts were probably $350-400. $50-60 for fluid.

I would love to see an invoice break down.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
$350 tops on parts, just priced it all out! $50 for 3 quarts of top of the line 75w140. Even if your mechanic was stickin' it to ya I would think 500 in labor at the very VERY most. IMO Anything over $850 out the door is highway robbery for this job. Hopefully we're missing something here.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
damn bro...... sorry to here you getting the dick on labor cost cause thats what just happened.... appears they didnt use any lube!

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
To do the diff cover properly does the subframe not need to come out? I did mine at the same time as my FTB bushings, so I dunno if there is another procedure as well?

TRBO VNM

To do the diff cover properly does the subframe not need to come out? I did mine at the same time as my FTB bushings, so I dunno if there is another procedure as well?

No. You can take the pumpkin out without dropping the whole IRS. Takes about 45min to pull the pumpkin. There are some people that say they resealed the diff with it still in the car, but I don't recommend that. It is tight space in there and putting the diff on a bench to get everything cleaned properly makes the job much easier.

Little_SVT_Man

Established Member
I had a lot going on when my car was in the shop and I wasn't thinking of the FTBR stuff at that time or else I would have gotten it done! Sucks for me, but I'm just happy the car is back on the road and I won't have to worry about something going wrong in the next few years. Eventually, I'll be replace all the rubber bushings with the FTBR stuff. But for now, it's fine.

I'll post the invoice later. I've been going to this transmission shop for years. The guy who runs the shop has a 2004 Cobra. So all is good.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
I had a lot going on when my car was in the shop and I wasn't thinking of the FTBR stuff at that time or else I would have gotten it done! Sucks for me, but I'm just happy the car is back on the road and I won't have to worry about something going wrong in the next few years. Eventually, I'll be replace all the rubber bushings with the FTBR stuff. But for now, it's fine.

I'll post the invoice later. I've been going to this transmission shop for years. The guy who runs the shop has a 2004 Cobra. So all is good.

We will see if its all good or not when that invoice gets posted lol. New blinker fluid:200, unicorns in the filters:300, piston spring change:400. Theresssss the extra expenses, of course :banana:

TRBO VNM

We will see if its all good or not when that invoice gets posted lol. New blinker fluid:200, unicorns in the filters:300, piston spring change:400. Theresssss the extra expenses, of course :banana:

Exactly. If there is more to the invoice and work done that we don't know, that is good. But if it is a shop that is ripping people off, that is BS. But if the OP is happy to take the beating, that is his decision. At first glance it just looks like you could have had an extra grand to actually mod the car with.

Little_SVT_Man

Established Member
ford racing diff. cover - $420, rear diff. mount - $280, rear axle seals - $45, pinion seal - $30, 80/90 gear oil - $40, fluid for the diff or something like that - $10, labor - $975.

I just don't really care anymore and I'm probably going to end up selling the car. I noticed now that I have another leak underneath? I have a 2008 saturn sky redline with the GM LNP upgrade and I been having a blast driving it! I raced my Sky against the Cobra not too long ago and just ate it!

IMG_20120810_182021.gif

Little_SVT_Man

Established Member
I guess I'm just frustrated with the whole thing. Yeah, I could've taken the car to the ford dealership down the street, but who knows what they would've charged? Now, I have another problem to look into and I'm thinking it's a torn axle boot or whatever. I don't even race anybody anymore because most of the time, I end up losing all due to the fact that... you can't shift this car at high rpm's- you almost have to be on steroids just to get out of first gear LOL.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Should have spent another $15 and got a lube locker gasket.... Doubt it would leak wih that as long as I was tourqued properly

As far as the shifting do alittle searching. A firewall adjuster and Quadrant may is needed if you have an aftermarket clutch, if the clutch cAble isn't adjusted right it will be difficult to shift. The anti-venom mod helped me and plenty others shifting for under $3! Lastly quality fluid helps a ton, royal purple or Amsoil syncro mesh is a must

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

ford racing diff. cover - $420, rear diff. mount - $280, rear axle seals - $45, pinion seal - $30, 80/90 gear oil - $40, fluid for the diff or something like that - $10, labor - $975.

I just don't really care anymore and I'm probably going to end up selling the car. I noticed now that I have another leak underneath? I have a 2008 saturn sky redline with the GM LNP upgrade and I been having a blast driving it! I raced my Sky against the Cobra not too long ago and just ate it!

Well, I am not trying to make you feel bad, but want to open your eyes in regards to finding another place to work on it or trying to do the work yourself. Bottom line, you were ripped off big time.

Ford Racing diff cover $240, this is just one place to get it from FT 1350

Rear diff mount? You should have only needed a bushing, as you can see from that same site $50, Delrin Rear Differential Support or even if you needed a new mount, they offer a lowering mount for $150, Rear Diff Hard Mount (cover is just for representation and isn't included in that $150 obviously). Hell, I have stock rear mounts laying around from people upgrading to the FTBR lowering mount.

Axle and pinion seals don't seem too bad. Prices are double what I pay at ford, but that isn't where they killed you.

The gear oil and friction modifier is about right. It is about $20 a qt/pint and you need less than 2 and then you need the modifier which is about $6.

Labor????? :uh oh:

I charge $150 to reseal the diff plus fluid cost. Since the diff is out, changing the rear bushing I don't charge and I wouldn't charge to replace the axle seals or pinion seal. I do this part time, so I can offer cheaper prices, but I can tell you, even full time shops around here wouldn't charge more than double that at $300. Let's assume they charge $500 labor, you were basically overcharged by almost $900.

I can definitely understand your frustration. You were taken advantage of. Next time I would research on here and ask some questions before taking it anywhere so you can go in prepared and knowledgeable with what is going on and is needed.

I guess I'm just frustrated with the whole thing. Yeah, I could've taken the car to the ford dealership down the street, but who knows what they would've charged? Now, I have another problem to look into and I'm thinking it's a torn axle boot or whatever. I don't even race anybody anymore because most of the time, I end up losing all due to the fact that... you can't shift this car at high rpm's- you almost have to be on steroids just to get out of first gear LOL.

What color is the fluid? Is it grease or more oily? If it is a green slime, then is is probably a torn boot, which I have seen happen if people aren't careful putting the half shafts back in the car. However, if that did happen it is probably hard for you to prove that and they will claim you were beating on the car and caused it. Getting replacement boost isn't easy.

Now, if it is leaking fluid from the diff, they should take care of that for free because they obviously didn't do it right. You DO NOTuse typical black RTV. That will end up leaking again. I use either the lube locker gasket with permatex hi-tac adhesive on both sides or I use the ford grey rtv that is used on deisel trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread