18th birthday present

bobh

Not so Senior SVT Poster
Established Member
My oldest son turns 18 in a couple weeks. (ugh, where did the time go).

His birthday present from me is the Defensive Driving course with Russell Racing at Sears Point next Sunday.

It's the same thing I gave him when he turned 16. Now he'll have some experience under his belt and get more out of it. And I hope he'll push it more on the autox. ;)

They put you through emergency braking with and without ABS, emergency lane change, driving a skid car that simulates low traction surfaces, and finally the autocross.

I went through it years ago. I gave it to my wife as a BD present awhile ago. Actually, she gave me this weird look when I told her about it, but it all worked out as she came back from the track that day with a big, stupid grin. LOL

One of the first things I did with my son when he got his learner's permit was take him to a wet parking lot and have him lose it while cornering. I had him brake, accelerate, and everything in between in the corners to see what would happen.

I've actually helped Russell Racing out a few times when they put this class on for high schoolers. One time at lunch the instructor with the skid car showed me how to run it and said, "have at it." Best, more informative 20 mins I ever spent in a car.

I think he's gonna have a blast.

btw, the first class he had at 16 has already paid for itself. One time he had a school kid step out on the street in front of him. He said he locked 'em up and started fishtailing a bit. He knew enough to back out of the brakes before trying to steer around the dumb kid.

Yuckfou

Huge Member
Established Member
That's really cool. You know he'll enjoy the crap out of it.

Every driver should go through that kind of training.

Users who are viewing this thread