19 Bullit Caliper installation on my 07 GT500

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
I have all the parts so I am slowly going to go at it

Took the wheel off and current 4 piston caliper off and hung it out of the way but didnt disconnect it. Want to make sure it all lines up.

First thing I did is to make sure the caliper does bolt to my OEM caliper bracket

bullit1.jpg

Bolts perfectly up

Now I add the 15" rotor and than check my centering inside the caliper

bullit 2.jpg

Now I'll take a look at how the rotor is centered with the caliper

bullitt6.jpg

I think its smack on

And lastly does my wheel clear ...
bullit5.jpg

It does clear ... obviously alot closer but doesnt hit

Last edited:

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Looks nice!!! Koni struts?

FRPP struts and lowering springs, done some time ago

This job is getting close. I had to shim the caliper and push it out about .50 , Though
everything cleared, it looks more centered and the wheel still clears

The first picture is the outboard side

bulit10.jpg

The second picture is of the inboard side. IMHO the gaps are alot better

bullit9.jpg

Attachments

• bulit10.jpg
    bulit10.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 116
  • bullit9.jpg
    bullit9.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 123

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I have all the parts so I am slowly going to go at it

Took the wheel off and current 4 piston caliper off and hung it out of the way but didnt disconnect it. Want to make sure it all lines up.

First thing I did is to make sure the caliper doe bolt to my OEM caliper bracket

View attachment 1644193

Bolts perfectly up

Now I add the 15" rotor and than check my centering inside the caliper

View attachment 1644196

Now I'll take a look at how the rotor is centered with the caliper

View attachment 1644197

I think its smack on

And lastly does my wheel clear ...View attachment 1644198

It does clear ... obviously alot closer but doesnt hit

Jesus Christ, back in my day this was a brake upgrade.
127362d1302713956-cobra-dual-piston-caliper-vs-dual-gt-caliper-cobra-brakes-013s.jpg

OEMs have really stepped their game up and decided stopping is important.
Next level, look really great. Sure they will perform as well as they look.

Not be be that guy but.... legs under a rim and no tire. Hope that's not a HF jack stand.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Jesus Christ, back in my day this was a brake upgrade.
View attachment 1644254
OEMs have really stepped their game up and decided stopping is important.
Next level, look really great. Sure they will perform as well as they look.

Not be be that guy but.... legs under a rim and no tire. Hope that's not a HF jack stand.

I always double down. I have a jack stand and my floor jack

I didnt get this old for being stupid !! :)

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Love the thread. Keep up the great work. Look forward to how it all works out. Also are you running the 2013/2014 GT500 rotor or bullitt rotors?

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Love the thread. Keep up the great work. Look forward to how it all works out. Also are you running the 2013/2014 GT500 rotor or bullitt rotors?

Im running the 13-14 GT500 rotors. Also have the 13-14 brake lines but not worried about that

I just want to make sure everything fits well and with a washer between each caliper bracket and the new brembo, I think its matching up well

LM sent me the wrong pads and mounting bracket hardware

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Im running the 13-14 GT500 rotors. Also have the 13-14 brake lines but not worried about that

I just want to make sure everything fits well and with a washer between each caliper bracket and the new brembo, I think its matching up well

LM sent me the wrong pads and mounting bracket hardware

Sorry to hear about the mess up at LM. Hopefully its and easy fix and doesnt end up like AM.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
I already have the 14" rear upgrade and instead of painted caliper I use this cover

THe current cover on the car is black

If this all works out and its pointing that way, the red cover will go in the rear and I think the color though not spot on is close enough

back and front.jpg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I already have the 14" rear upgrade and instead of painted caliper I use this cover

THe current cover on the car is black

If this all works out and its pointing that way, the red cover will go in the rear and I think the color though not spot on is close enough

View attachment 1644260

What made you not want to paint the caliper?

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
What made you not want to paint the caliper?

The red rear calipers are nice but to plain even if they are red.

I even called Brembo to see if the rear brembos on the newer cars could be retrofitted to my model year and do to alot of engineering mumbo jumbo its not possible on a solid axle

If i can get this front brake job down than Im happy with what I have in the rear

PM-Performance

Established Member
This looks great! I bet these new ones grab like hell!
I am considering some bigger ones on mine lately. I find the stock ones have been a little iffy slowing down from high speeds on highway pulls

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You've thought everything out well. Nice idea and great implementation. I think the setup is going to look great once you get it buttoned up. Post a photo of the "after" install when you get there.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
This looks great! I bet these new ones grab like hell!
I am considering some bigger ones on mine lately. I find the stock ones have been a little iffy slowing down from high speeds on highway pulls

Thank you did alot of research and found this out:

The 13-14 GT500 Brembos are a direct bolt on to the s197 platform and specifically to my 07 GT500

I also found out that the 15 and newer mustang with the 6+ piston performance pack brakes work on the 13-14 GT500 which means if I went that route they should also work. Than I read that the bullitt calipers are a direct bolt on to the 15 and up performace pack cars ( they prob work on the ecoboost cars 15 and up but I didnt go down that rabbit hole )

So connecting the dots the bullitt calipers , in red, my color choice, should bolt up. and they do.

The issues at hand you will need a wheel size to accomodate that caliper and it seems the rotor when both caliper and rotor are together, the rotor seems more inboard than it should be. In other words more of a gap on the inside and less of a gap on the outside.

I corrected this with a single washer thats about 0.047 thousand between the caliper bracket and caliper. I may do one more but thats about it, Wheel clearance may become a issue

First picture is the inboard side, you can see the washer at the bracket.

Second picture is the outboard side.

I had a larger gap than i wanted on the inboard side hence forth the washer.

Im at 0.093 using a feeler gauge on the outside and am at 0.138

Difference of 0.045 thousands off and if I put two washers in it would even both sides out but am concerned its to close to the spokes of the wheel
bullit9.jpg
bulit10.jpg

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Ran into another small problem, the square bracket on the caliper where you screw the brake line into was not large enough to accomodate the 13-14 GT500 brake hose

SO ...... my master tech came by and he looked at everything and he thought I was good to go with the caliper set up.

I advised him of the hose dilemina and he stated its better to use the factory line since it will bolt up nicer so I did this

bullit13.jpg

grinded the lip down thinking its cast alum and it was. the washer gives enough clearance to clear what little I left

hose fits now

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
here is the finished product .... car stops magnicently
bullit15 (2).jpg

Havent turned these many wrenches in a long time. I use to ( 10 yrs ago ) do alot of work on the first gen SHO's with the yamaha V6. Use to rebuild engines and some tranny work but its been a while since tackling a job like this.

As I stated above my first drive was a success and dont foresee any issues going forward. When putting something on a car that I believe was the first time for anyone there is some anxiety if it will work. Yes I did all the research I could and had some hiccups but turned out better than I could have anticapted.

Attachments

• bullitt16.jpg
    bullitt16.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 99
  • bulliitt17.jpg
    bulliitt17.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread