1965 289 Hi-Po Mercury Comet Cyclone-Magazine Car

JSZ03

Local Mustang Legend
Established Member
I wanted to put this out there for anyone who might know someone looking for a ultra-rare piece of Ford automotive history. My father has caught the GT-500 bug BAD, and he wants to part with his beloved Mercury Comet Cyclone. The car is thought to be one of only 90 or so original, Hi-Po Cyclones built in 1965. The car underwent a full restoration in 2005-2006,has a super-rare Weber carb setup that is period-correct, and is a multiple show winner, inlcluding Best of Show at NMRA and NMCA events. We even took it to Cecil last year and ran off a few high 13's with it @100mph...not bad for a 45 year old Comet!

I have attached the magazine article from Mustangs and Fords. The article from the mag was semi-screwed up, as the author didnt know jack shit about these cars, but wrote some BS anyways that led my Dad's car club, Comet East, to write a few letters to the editor explaining the true situation with these rare machines. Take the article with a grain of salt, as some info is just incorrect.

1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone - Mustang & Fords

There are no excuses with this Cyclone, as it speaks for itself. Guaranteed you wont see another like it EVER!!! It has won numerous Best of Show awards, Best Paint, Peoples Choice, etc....The car is 90% period-correct, with some "day two mods" thrown in to give it a retro drag look...was even featured on ESPN's Inside Drag Racing back in 2007!

Its been a great pleasure to drive and help my father with over the past decade, but its time to move on. It is scheduled to be a part of the US-30 Nationals indoor show this summer in York, PA, so any buyers who would be interested in presenting the car at this show, we have the info for you.

Here are the major specs:

Rebuilt 289 High Performance engine, stock ported heads, stock hipo cam, solid lifters, dual-point distributor
TopLoader 4 speed transmission, Hays clutch, Hust shifter
3.89:1 ratio, 9" Ford Rear, traction bars
4x2 Weber carbs w/ FoMoCo intake manifold
Ultra-rare Rally-Pac gauges w/8k rpm tach
Heater delete car, but one of 612 with an am/fm radio!
Heddman headers, custom Flowmaster 2.5" dual exhaust
Professionally dyno-tuned and maintained in climate controlled garage
ALL stainless and chrome is 100%...none better

Much, much more on this car....tons of receipts, books, trophies, manuals, ads, etc come with the car....any questions please email me @ [email protected]. I will answer anything I can or direct you to my dad....he is asking 50k obo, or will trade for a newer GT500.

Thanks!:beer:

mufp_0702_02z1965_mercury_comet_cyc.gif

mufp_0702_05z1965_mercury_comet_cyc.gif

cycloneengine.gif

l_28d55708e67e7d86bddb2d179e4c76c6.gif

interior1.gif

cyconle4.gif

Last edited:

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
I have very fond memories of many street races won in the early 70's in a Cyclone. Not too many cars in my area were able to beat it.

JSZ03

Local Mustang Legend
Established Member
I can say that my Dad and I had a "spirited run" in the Cyclone with a '38 Plymouth Street Rod one night when I was home from college....great memories, for sure...bump

JSZ03

Local Mustang Legend
Established Member
Car has been sold for several years now, admin please remove, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread