1965 Mustang Frankencar, help with wheels and sway bars?

samb1990

Established Member
So i've been working on my 1966 mustang, I'm doing a 4.6 DOHC swap, already did the Mustang II suspension, i'm using a t45 trans and an 8.8 disc rear out of a 1994-98 mustang gt. I'm getting close to the point that i need to start thinking about wheels. I would like to go with 17x8s, i love the look of the filled out fenders. Here's my issue. With the mustang II suspension my front track width is around 57.5 inches, and the rear is around 61 inches. I'm not scared to buy 2" wheel spacer/adapters for the front. I've run them on previous cars with no issues. that would get me close to the same track width front and rear. Anyone have any advice for offset/backspacing? Also, i know its not a terrible common swap but i need to figure out sway bars front and rear. I bought the Mustang II crossmember from Speedway and i bought tubular control arms and the rest of the pieces separately, the front suspension is done minus the sway bar. Thanks in advance for the help!

samb1990

Established Member
I did a little, I've figured out proper fitment in the past. The front is close to stock track width so I hoped someone who has done an 8.8 swap could share thier experience with offset. The outside of fender lip to other outside lip is 69" in the front, and 69.5" in the rear. Subtracting the track width gets me to 5.75" between the wheel mounting face and the outside lip in the front and 4.25" in the rear. I didn't subtract anything for the inner pinch weld/inner lip because I plan on rolling the fenders.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

toby1234

Established Member
Probably not the best forum for this. I’d check out vintage-mustang forum. Much more content. I have Rod & custom front end on my 69. ‘03 Cobra engine. The track width is nearly the same as stock. I installed 13” cobra brakes so I had to use a small spacer to clear the caliper.
Ultimately, you’ll have to do your own measurements, but I’m sure you can find more info on other forums.

samb1990

Established Member
Awesome, thanks for the advice! What did you do for your steering shaft? I've got the rack and pinion, I considered cutting the factory shaft off of the gear box and having a rag joint welded in and then running another piece of 3/4 inch steel rod to the rack. I'm assuming the 69 has a similar gearbox with an attached shaft

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread