1966 F100 450/510 Raptor Crate Engine 10R80

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
More updates! I now have TPMS, A/C, PATS all working. What a relief to finally get to this point. Now the tuning and fun stuff can be in as it has 1100 miles on it now.

that's an amazing build and the Raptor cluster fitted in the dash like that is just perfect.

That is so cool. Makes me want to build one.

Move on, nothing to see here.

same but then I quickly remember I dunno fab a damned thing. I can take shit apart and bolt it back together all day long but fab work I'm totally lost

EcoBoostF100

EcoBoosted F100
Established Member
Engine Swap Depot just did a nice article on my build!
I had no idea but someone mentioned it to me.

02_Lightning

Established Member
Interesting build with fab work, but that 3.5 ecoboost itself is just such a nightmare engine. It’s a novel idea, just wish it was a better design.
Now, had you installed a 7.3 Godzilla, a blower, or even a diesel, I would be MUCH more interested.

MG0h3

Established Member
Interesting build with fab work, but that 3.5 ecoboost itself is just such a nightmare engine. It’s a novel idea, just wish it was a better design.
Now, had you installed a 7.3 Godzilla, a blower, or even a diesel, I would be MUCH more interested.

Why do you say that?

My 3.5 EB F150 walks my 5.0 F150.

Drove it hard for 102k miles. Probably 25k miles off road in 4wd

Never had a tune up.

Would be running 10hrs a day in the summer with the AC on to keep my K9 cool.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

kaz109

Established Member
Alert Alert…… naive post detected

02_Lightning

Established Member
Why do you say that?

Never had a tune up.

Alert Alert…… naive post detected

Just following all the issues on that thing since 2010. Ford never seemed to get the whole timing, and cam phaser thing down after all these years. They had to remove efficiency from the intercooler to keep it from building up water, oil consumption, fuel in oil, etc. I had experience on this engine with a few different platforms, and the problems were across all models it seems. The engine may be better now, but I still don’t trust it, and would never buy one.

kaz109

Established Member
Just following all the issues on that thing since 2010. Ford never seemed to get the whole timing, and cam phaser thing down after all these years. They had to remove efficiency from the intercooler to keep it from building up water, oil consumption, fuel in oil, etc. I had experience on this engine with a few different platforms, and the problems were across all models it seems. The engine may be better now, but I still don’t trust it, and would never buy one.
Like all first iterations of motors they will have their issues, The problems that you speak of were the first generation of the eco-boost lineup as well as the early production H.O Ecoboost. I have already listed all the changes from the 2010 Ecoboost till nowbut it’s pointless to being fact to a person who already has his mind made up

I agree a 7.3 would be cool but it’s not more impressive or would have me more interested in this build considering how easy he got 600hp on stock turbos.

MG0h3

Established Member

Man we have a fleet of them for LE use so they get pushed hard. Lots and lots of off road use and idle time as well.

No repetitive issues at all.

02_Lightning

Established Member
Like all first iterations of motors they will have their issues, The problems that you speak of were the first generation of the eco-boost lineup as well as the early production H.O Ecoboost. I have already listed all the changes from the 2010 Ecoboost till nowbut it’s pointless to being fact to a person who already has his mind made up

I agree a 7.3 would be cool but it’s not more impressive or would have me more interested in this build considering how easy he got 600hp on stock turbos.

Man we have a fleet of them for LE use so they get pushed hard. Lots and lots of off road use and idle time as well.

No repetitive issues at all.

Sorry I crapped on this thread. My point was really just about how the problems on the engine design carried over as the design of engine was updated. I think really specific to the cam phasers. Those have been an issue since 2010, and through the many, many redesigns, it was never corrected on all the platforms. Ford finally issued a multitude of TSBs on these in the last 2yrs, and supposedly the CD parts from 2020 are a “fix” finally. Too early to tell though since Ford has tried to fix these for 11yrs. I hope it does now. This was a great engine for everything in Ford that was smaller than f150, expedition/navigator. This was just poor execution from Ford.

kaz109

Established Member
Sorry I crapped on this thread. My point was really just about how the problems on the engine design carried over as the design of engine was updated. I think really specific to the cam phasers. Those have been an issue since 2010, and through the many, many redesigns, it was never corrected on all the platforms. Ford finally issued a multitude of TSBs on these in the last 2yrs, and supposedly the CD parts from 2020 are a “fix” finally. Too early to tell though since Ford has tried to fix these for 11yrs. I hope it does now. This was a great engine for everything in Ford that was smaller than f150, expedition/navigator. This was just poor execution from Ford.
Just to be to clear your original post was irrelevant because you were making a post based on the 2010 platform that is not the same as the H.O motor in the Raptor, though you are right the cam phaser was an issue in the 2017 and early production 2018 models it was no longer an issue after that and it has been well documented.

I agree the Godzilla would’ve been cool to see ( especially with heads and cam) but this motor is equally cool IMO because of how easy it is to make power.

Last edited:

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Why do you say that?

Never had a tune up.

Perhaps he had just as many issues with his 3.5L as I did on my 2018 Raptor. That truck was enough to make me never want another EcoBurst engine.

Users who are viewing this thread