1985 GT build thread.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
So this is going to be my first attempt at a "build thread". The beginning state is a 22k original mile two owner car. I bought the car off a family friend back in 1999. Factory 10" brakes, factory struts, BBK lowering springs.

New setup is as follows:

Brakes and Suspension:
North Race Cars 03-04 cobra brake setup with 5 lug conversion, 96+ spindles, all new stainless brake lines from front to back, MM coilovers on all 4 corners, MM k member, MM A arms, MM bumpsteer, MM offset steering rack bushings, MM CC plates, MM panhard, MM torque arm, MM lower control arms, Rear shock tower brace, MM Strut tower brace, 93 cobra brake booster, 93 cobra master cylinder.

Engine and driveline:
363 fully forged Dart 8.2" block. Astro A5 transmission, Quick Time bell housing, Aluminum flywheel, McLeod RST clutch, alum driveshaft, 3.55 8.8 welded, Moser girdle, Aeromotive A1000 pump, Aeromotive Bypass regulator, stock sumped tank, 10AN stainless feed lines, 8AN stainless return lines.

Misc:
Corbeau GTS II seats in black suede, black suede headliner, redline goods black suede shift boot and Ebrake boot, rear seat delete, battery mounted in rear spare tire well. 18" BBS RK's.

Here is what the car looked like when I started.
16879455515_65c81d4bfa_b.jpg
IMG_1941 by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
16853592066_07195894ac_b.jpg
16536336290_f8cb9598eb_o by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
35446426304_1313ba9af6_b.jpg
DSC00512_zpsghdyjmfz by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
35446426404_bcbbfd5893_b.jpg
DSC00510_zpsj3r84cfr by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

The Panhard bar installed already.
35885912420_2d5478f680_b.jpg
DSC_2902_zpsdbma2lel by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

First parts that arrived are the MM caster camber plates.
36146916941_0959b26bf6_b.jpg
DSC_2890_zps6zrvnfqg by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

The disassembly begins.
35885912550_e50691448c_b.jpg
DSC_2896_zpsuoptiqjm by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Cute little 10" brakes ready to be torn off.
36146917211_93f4bb60b0_b.jpg
DSC_2899_zpslouwjanb by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
36146917131_cdb275d1e1_b.jpg
DSC_2893_zpsxkjckzlq by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Finished for tonight.
35885912760_57d803fbe7_b.jpg
DSC_2908_zpsftodt4ex by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Last edited:

jleews6

Established Member
Nice car! I'm looking forward to see progress. The 85GT is my favorite Fox. I have a 40K jalapino and a 42K mile black 85 put away.

freakshow12

Established Member
85's are my favorite too my first was a t top car like the op's. Then a string of 85 capris. I love what you are doing just don't change the body! Lol

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Car's too nice for a project, find a beater and fix it up, sell me that one as is.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
You're ruining it for me...

I love 85s and 86s, and love the way it sits now. Gonna be even better afterwards, good luck.

jleews6

Established Member
BS...it just means you have less headache with rusty bolts and stupid shit to fix that you never planned on fixing. Bolt on and go build.

I agree. Start with a nice car and you end up with a better car.

Freakshow12 I agree also. I like the 85 Capris also. I have one of them to.

SAMACH1

Established Member
You should swap a Aero-nose on to the front end...........................................................................................................................................................................................................

JUST KIDDING lol Car looks great Tony, cant wait to see the progress on your build!

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Thanks for the compliments everyone. Im going to do my best to keep this updated as often as possible and make it an interesting thread that people want to come back to. Just need to remember to slow down and take pics!

Car's too nice for a project, find a beater and fix it up, sell me that one as is.

This one was for sale several times in the past.... I finally made the decision to mod it further and never turn back.

BS...it just means you have less headache with rusty bolts and stupid shit to fix that you never planned on fixing. Bolt on and go build.

Correct sir! I know the history of this car from day one and there should be no surprises and no rust.... lets hope that equates into no headaches.

85's are my favorite too my first was a t top car like the op's. Then a string of 85 capris. I love what you are doing just don't change the body! Lol

I went to Knotts for Fabulous Fords Forever and nobody believed me that the paint was original... Thats when I knew for certain the body will not change one bit. I will most likely keep the interior as stock as possible too.

You should swap a Aero-nose on to the front end...........................................................................................................................................................................................................

JUST KIDDING lol Car looks great Tony, cant wait to see the progress on your build!

HAHAHAH! I would probably be the most hated person in the 4 eye community if I did that! You saw the rendering of how it should look, I think it will look even better!

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Damn, sorry (to myself), I missed out on a clean 4 eye.

May I ask what you had it listed for previously?

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Damn, sorry (to myself), I missed out on a clean 4 eye.

May I ask what you had it listed for previously?

I was fairly firm at 15k. Had lots of interest but when it came time to pay some didn't come through. There was a time where I ended the deal when it came close to that point because it had too much sentimental value to me. It has been a car my dad and I worked on when I was in high school.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Gotcha, probably more than my wife would've allowed, but clean 4 eyes can't be easy to find.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Gotcha, probably more than my wife would've allowed, but clean 4 eyes can't be easy to find.

Im sure a lot of people thought I was high on price... but I would just ask them to find me another low mile clean 4 eye and I would match that price.

Can't wait to see it all finished Tony, it will look badass with CCWs

Hell yeah man, looking forward to a nice photoshoot when its all finished up.

I made a little more progress on her tonight. I removed a majority of the front suspension, Im starting to think I should just do the K member now with the A arms as well. I will get to ordering the brake setup through North Racecars this week and hopefully will get some 94/95 spindles as well. I also had my Maximum Motorsports strut tower brace laying around so I ended up installing that tonight as well.

Here is how the front suspension looks now.
DSC_2912_zpspayqqhxi by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

The installed Strut tower brace.
DSC_2915_zps8h0wppjn by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

The pile of old parts. Springs will be for sale!
DSC_2923_zpsnljvjeoy by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
DSC_2922_zps5zluoct9 by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
DSC_2921_zpsi91tdmes by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Speaking of "for sale" Someone please buy these wheels and tires, they are just taking up space!!!! Here is the for sale thread: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...98-17x8-17x10-Chrome-saleen-SC-replicas-4-lug

DSC_2920_zps5lfjqslr by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Thats all the time I had tonight, thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Last edited:

smitty2919

Established Member
Does someone work for Cintas? Nice rugs lol

I wish my car was clean enough to work on it with rugs under it. My LT1 oil pan gasket says F-You to me on that request...

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Does someone work for Cintas? Nice rugs lol

I wish my car was clean enough to work on it with rugs under it. My LT1 oil pan gasket says F-You to me on that request...

Ha! I see you noticed my poor mans carpet job in the garage. I don't work for cintas, there is a shop down the road from me that has all sorts of used rugs that aren't good enough for cintas standards, old uniforms, and old rags/towels. I pick up the rugs for 10 bucks each and I spill plenty on them, once they get bad I just replace a runner. I get a huge garbage bag of rags for 10 bucks each as well, makes working in the garage simple and cleanup is a snap with those rags. Its still kind of funny to me to imagine what my neighbors think when they see me in the garage with a vacuum lol.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Very nice car, but I do not believe there has not been paint work done on that car.
There is over spray on the strut boot and sway bar link in the one picture, and sorry to say, none of these cars came with an engine bay that had that nice of paint .
I have 2 now , had many more over the years, and I always hated that they seemed to close their eyes and just spray some paint in there.

Usually never has much paint on the strut towers and the paint was always off a shade or two .

Still a really sharp car.

I've done the 94-95 spindle swap, and if keeping the stock K member , you should also use the same year control arms as well .

Users who are viewing this thread