1989 LX Notchback Build Thread

slow90coupe

Established Member
Well I got the car pretty much buttoned up. I got my buddy to help me get the timing dialed in, changed the door pins which was an experience, and put the front clip back on it. I made my maiden voyage this evening and everything went pretty well. I do have both AN lines leaking from where they come out of the transmission but that didn't stop me from driving it a little bit this evening. The car is LOUD and it honestly sounds like it has a much bigger cam than it does.

A Pic of the door pins. These combined with new striker bushings made an incredible improvement in the way the doors close. They shut like no other fox door I've ever seen.

IMG_3828_zps7ad75c12.jpg

And two pics of the car at the gas station.

IMG_3836_zps9a2f47f0.jpg

IMG_3840_zps4454e4fa.jpg

I'll try to get a vid tomorrow, every one I've taken so far has been distorted.

Here's a few better pics of the engine bay too.

DSC_0601_zpss0bviqxv.jpg

DSC_0607_zpspvv8igp9.jpg

crazycarlo

Established Member
Looks great. And If I'm not mistaken I believe you can go COP with the Pro-M EFI system. You can upgrade to cop and I thinks it's plug n play.

9935todd

Established Member
Looks great! I'm doing an identical project myself...even down to the color. Where did you get your paint in rattle cans to match the body color? I want to complete the engine bay and get it running again before I tackle the body. Thanks!

slow90coupe

Established Member
Looks great! I'm doing an identical project myself...even down to the color. Where did you get your paint in rattle cans to match the body color? I want to complete the engine bay and get it running again before I tackle the body. Thanks!
Paintscratch.com. Word of advise, use rusty metal primer instead of gray primer. It'll make the color match spot on. Also, it takes a shit ton of cans to get coverage. Get at least 5 cans.

slow90coupe

Established Member
Thanks everyone! I forgot how good it is to drive a fox. It is uncomfortable as crap, loud, and smelly, but at the same time it just feels awesome, lol.

I spent the last week working on tying up a few loose ends since I couldn't drive it because I was waiting on new fittings. Btw, don't buy Summit brand AN fittings. They pour fluid out of the swivel joints with pressure behind them. I called Summit and they sent me two Earls fittings for free though. Talk about good customer service!

I started out by modifying my ashtray a little bit to allow me to mount my toggle switch for overdrive.

IMG_0310_zpsb9ec5e51.jpg

Then I painted my nasty looking Ford emblem black and stuck my carbon fiber overlay on it.

IMG_7066_zpsd6a80eca.jpg

And the good fittings installed. It took me a few hours to get it all situated and completely leak free, but I finally got it.

IMG_3867_zps8bee72ba.jpg

Then I swapped in my Bride seats since I don't plan on driving the SN95 anytime soon.

IMG_3876_zps135bfd68.jpg

An underside shot. I got it on the lift to check for any leaks. All good so far.

IMG_3871_zps105a110b.jpg

I drove it a good amount this weekend. Probably about 75 miles, which is about 1/4 of how far I've driven it the entire time I have had it. It does great, a little on the loud side but it turns heads everywhere. I beat on it a little bit and it definitely needs a gear BAD. That's up on the list along with a few other things. I launched it a few times and it just doesn't have enough gear to get it going.

Then I was driving this afternoon and I did a dig, 1-3 pull and then I noticed something all over my windshield... apparently my cap on the EGR nipple coming off the coolant tubes didn't like the pressure anymore and it let go and started pissing. Somehow when I pulled over it sealed itself back up and I drove it home. I filled the hole in the coolant tubes with RTV and put another cap on it, I hope it'll hold up this time.

Such a little hole can make such a big mess... lol.

FullSizeRender_zps9ff69fdb.jpg

And a random pic just because

IMG_3875_zps630a8800.jpg

I can't wait to hit the track and see what it'll do. I don't expect much better than an 8.30 as it sits but we'll see. A gear, some weight reduction, and a little seat time and I'd like to see a 7.9x. Then I'll be content enough to throw the nitrous on it and blow something up.

my92gt

Established Member
Then I mocked up an XXR 531. I kinda like them, but I won't be able to tuck them. I will also have to lose the tailpipes or run some different ones which I'm not ready to do yet.

IMG_2109_zps17156bf6.jpg

IMG_2118_zpsa74ee088.jpg

Why aren't you able to run the wheel combo without losing the tailpipes?

crazycarlo

Established Member
Car looks great man. I have a 90 coupe I'm working on. Reset the timing yesterday and got all my parts in for a tune up and I'm ready to install the new ignition system. I'm stacking up parts in the garage haha.

Users who are viewing this thread