1990 Notch power windows don't work

geardriven74

Established Member
Hello,
I've got a 90 Notch that the windows don't work on. I've got power across the fuse, but ground at the circuit breaker. I see that the breaker gets power from the ignition switch. Is there another breaker or fuse feeding this circuit going to the ignition?
Also the door locks never worked for the previous owner.
Thanks,
Adam

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
The ignition switch is a common failure point. Get a new one and see if any of your problems are alleviated. If not, start checking power at the switch. I just recently fought through some wiring issues in my 92 Vert, windows and locks. I thought it was all centralized around a hack job of an alarm that someone put in years ago (which was definitely part of the problem) and it turned out that I had a broken wire in the driver side door. I spent hours testing wires at different points along their routes and narrowed it down to one wire, inside the door. I cannibalized a harness from a junker and routed a new wire into the switch with all the factory connections. It worked like a charm. Having an extra harness or two is a God send when tracking down 25+ year old wiring problems.

crazycarlo

Established Member
are both windows not working? I had one in my coupe not working and it ended up being the button. They pop off of a little panel. Also look at the panel when you have the buttons popped off. Chances are they are prob a little corroded and green. A toothbrush and alcohol works wonders.

As for the door locks it's a common issue with foxes that the actuators go bad. If your mechanically inclined and they are original I'd look up the video how to rebuked them. The aftermarket replacements suck no matter what brand.

You can always buy universal hi powered ones but you would have to fashion a way to mount them.

Also if you don't want the power locks then. Take the actuators out. It's a lot easier to work the lock mechanism with no actuator than it is with them in the door.

Now enjoy the car. I also have a 90 notch.

Users who are viewing this thread