1990 Olds Cutlass Calais Quad 4 | Retro Review

mariusvt

Established Member
Buddy back in the day had a 94 Grand Am GT with the HO version of this motor & a 5 spd in the late 90s, it was a quick little setup for what it was back then.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
16.6 @ 85 mph haha, what a crock of shit. I love how it shows them absolutely roasting the tires completely through first and a solid bark in to second. None of the Quad4 powered cars were allowed to show how fast they really were. Hell, the Beretta GTZ equalled the Corvette that year on some handling metrics.

I owned an I-Series Calais for quite some time. That car ran 15.2 @ 92+mph bone stock except for a K&N drop in at Memphis. When I moved, I only had access to an 1/8th mile track. I threw some DRs on the front and ran a 9.50 @ 74+ mph. Eventually, I put a 2.5" exhaust and made a fender CAI plus I swapped out for a W41 eprom. Was a great daily.

The suspension was pretty good as long as it wasn't too rough, twist be rear made it twitchy. If you actually tracked it, the rear hubs would fail quickly, they were undersized. You could swap out for Cutlass Supreme rear hubs by hogging out the bolt holes on the axle but you'd have big bolt pattern wheels out back.

The brakes on those cars were quite bad, 10" discs front and 9" drum rear. The car didn't weigh a ton but still, they were undersized. I had some old school Yoko AVS Intermediates back then. I could stomp on the brakes at full force at 60mph and the brakes physically would not lock up, not matter how hard I pressed lol.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
OMG, the old Quad-4. It was hyped back in the day. I do remember this car, but never drove one. Not a bad car for that time period.

Thanks for posting up the video, Sid.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
16.6 @ 85 mph haha, what a crock of shit. I love how it shows them absolutely roasting the tires completely through first and a solid bark in to second. None of the Quad4 powered cars were allowed to show how fast they really were. Hell, the Beretta GTZ equalled the Corvette that year on some handling metrics.

I owned a Beretta GTZ back in the day. Did a solid 14.9 with just a custom axle-back, gutted cat and a K&N filter. I even stayed ahead of a stock Fox 5.0 from a roll.

I used to call it my domestic Type R, lol.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
14.9 was respectable back then. I’d like to see retro review on the Beretta GTZ.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I think one magazine ran a 14 with one of these. They were neat for their day.

Users who are viewing this thread