1993 4-cyl. To v8 302 swap, eye candy! ;)

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Hey OP. I saw you at the Pavs this weekend! A friend of mine went to look at your car and I didn't even realize it was this car! I saw you as you were leaving and pulled through the mustang aisle. I was in front of the DIB 14 GT500. I will stop by to say hi next time I am out there.

hinson

I'm doing a 91 4cyl to v8 swap I have a 91 donor gt do you have to change any of the interior wiring thanks for any advice you can give

Mnstr50

Established Member
you need the t5 harness if you're going from AOD to T5. Otherwise, I can't think of anything. The gauges will have to be swapped out as well.

Mnstr50

Established Member
Hey everyone, bringing this one back from the dead. Several modifications have been done, and things I think ya'll will like.

I ended up installing Donathan Racing docol front and rear tubular bumpers, team Z radiator core support, UPR tubular k-member, relocated the battery to the back, and the icing on the cake, installed a 393w stroker!

out with the old

IMG_8062_zpsflvd7gzg.jpg

IMG_9053_zpszy3yefyd.jpg

rear bumper delete in docol (stronger than chromoly)

IMG_9050_zpsrxex9t55.jpg

tubular front end

IMG_9051_zpsd7nyefws.jpg

IMG_9052_zpspogcdeeb.jpg

IMG_9049_zps6py4adpm.jpg

UPR k-member using the existing a-arms and traditional shock/spring

IMG_9028_zpsiotnzje4.jpg

bump steer kit installed, offset rack bushings and solid drop motor mounts.

IMG_8864_zps6xlxoghj.jpg

393 used the stock rods, ARP fasteners, 302 flat top 40 over pistons, and eagle cast crank. Ford Racing pan kit, and early 90's crown vic oil pump for 351w.

IMG_8863_zpsuhmx1880.jpg

IMG_8862_zpsvpwwuqua.jpg

using the existing ported gt40 iron heads I had. This combo still WORKS on huge cubes.

IMG_8860_zpsrymhwirq.jpg

coming together, MAC short tubes for 351w.

IMG_8879_zpsbmbabqud.jpg

getting closer

new wheels

FullSizeRender_zpsuqvr3daf.jpg

IMG_8893_zpsd2r1pqwz.jpg

engine pay cleaned, painted, CFM breather, C&L intake planted black, with silicone couplers, FRPP 9mm wires, converted to MArk VIII fan.

IMG_8886_zpsizjye8zb.jpg

even with 1 1/4" drop mounts, the stop hood will not fit! I had to cut it to close it for now, but a Boss Inc Style 95' Cobra R is on order. I also opted for an HO fibertrends fiberglass trunk lid. ;)

FullSizeRender_zpsmzavxlmt.jpg

as she sits!

the car was dialed in with base timing and fuel pressure only, not a true dyno tune yet, but we made 325rwhp and 370rwtq on the existing iron GT40 heads and stock valve sizes! This thing has an off the shelf nitrous cam now with over 600 lift. The car will continue to evolve and if I remember, I will update this page.

she pulls strong right now, we still have nitrous on board but haven't used it. The dyno numbers where done on a 90 degree day in Provo Utah! High elevation and no air.

Mnstr50

Established Member
the MAC long tube headers for the 351W swap getting wrapped with DEI titanium heat wrap. I've always been a fan of wrap, and if you live in a dry climate (south west), the concern of deterioration is non-existent. I've ran these on other vehicles with good success. They're so effective, you can place your hand on a primary tube while the motors running, try doing that with exotic coatings.

IMG_9191_zps6zebqqna.jpg

IMG_9192_zpsqxvaolwd.jpg

FR500's are on, the Boss Style Inc 1995 Cobra R style 3" cowl hood is also installed, and painted. HO fibertrends fiberglass trunk lid also got painted.

IMG_9202_zps8uhho7th.jpg

IMG_9201_zpszwxzxipk.jpg

IMG_9194_zps2dpnvpgn.jpg

IMG_9206_zpsngfvgxe4.jpg

Mnstr50

Established Member
The long tube headers, larger TB, and a tune will be done soon. The big deal will be the 8-point bar.

drillsgt7

This is a awesome build. I have a 351 roller block on the stand now and I'm leaning towards a 393 build. How do you like the boss inc hood? Looks good on the car.

Mnstr50

Established Member
This is a awesome build. I have a 351 roller block on the stand now and I'm leaning towards a 393 build. How do you like the boss inc hood? Looks good on the car.

The 393w uses the stock rods, does not need block clearancing, and using a 302 piston (for the correct compression height). Just be sure to get a shorter skirt piston (I think most forged/hyper pistons will be shorter than cast- which is what I have).

The hood is fantastic! Nice and light, great quality. My buddy has a cervinis hood (which are good quality too) but significantly heavier (10-15lbs more), and I don't believe the cowl is as wide as the Boss Inc. hood (the Boss also has a nicer induction inlet than the Cervinis). He has another car with a Kenan hood, which is also good quality but a traditional style cowl, which doesn't have the width I needed. I needed width clearance just as much as height clearance. For the price, you can't beat it.

Mnstr50

Established Member
Here is another round of modifications to this monster:

The stock iron front SN95 (94-95) calipers were replaced with the "new edge" style dual-piston alloys, take a look at the weight savings!

IMG_9416_zpsdxdwrthv.jpg

IMG_9415_zpsh6nwyae7.jpg

previous caliper installed

IMG_9418_zpsvt5jmdwg.jpg

the two piston installed

IMG_9417_zpsbqfypvbm.jpg

The MAC long tube 351w headers were modified to accept 3" v-band clamps, and the MAC Prochamber 2.5" was modified to accept 3" inlets, but retain the existing 2.5" from the prochamber back.

Prochamber being modified

IMG_9452_zps7kittib8.jpg

IMG_9465_zps0xo2qnjx.jpg

IMG_9464_zpsz7hafmwa.jpg

Air pump, EGR, and emissions equipment deleted.

the final mod was a 6 point roll car, and the addition of a cross brace to the rear shock tower, and driveshaft safety loop.

IMG_9461_zpsfksercea.jpg

IMG_9463_zps9glzspk2.jpg

IMG_9466_zpsxrziveii.jpg

drillsgt7

What gaskets are you using with the stock Valve covers? Did you have to clearance the valve covers or remove the oil baffle. I see you are running 1.7 roller rockers

Mnstr50

Established Member
What gaskets are you using with the stock Valve covers? Did you have to clearance the valve covers or remove the oil baffle. I see you are running 1.7 roller rockers

The baffles have been removed and I run FRPP reusable gaskets.

drillsgt7

Thanks for your advice. I just had a set powder coated and noticed I may need a thicker gasket to fit the valve covers over the crane pedestal rockers I'm using.

Mnstr50

Established Member
Clear coated the roll bar today. Some of you might be curious about the lack of down bars. I didn't have a set of quick disconnects at the time of install, so I decided to go without until I purchase them down the road.

IMG_9539_zpslbh20umz.jpg

Mnstr50

Established Member
Dirty lens might have resulted in the poor picture quality, but finally got it on the rollers. Keep in mind, this is still running the GT40 iron heads that had been ported. The current dyno numbers are;

325RWHP, 380RWTQ (in Arizona, AZ Dyno Chip, via Keith- owner/tuner).

The same combo with a decent set of heads should pick up 80-100rwhp (like Trickflow 205 11R's, which is what I would prefer). I would also enlarge the TB bore for 90mm, and get a 4" intake tube setup. Possibly a larger MAF as well.

IMG_9470_zpsrgtewxp2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread