1993 Cobra R Radiator Cap

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Help! Does anyone know where I can get one? :read: :shrug: I don't car about originality, :idea: I just what one without the lower seal so I can use a de-gas can on my 1983 Stang.

It's just about track ready! :banana::banana:

P.S. Thanks for the seats Mark, they fit perfect! :bowdown:

:burnout:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I haven't studied one closely but my understanding was the race teams back in the day used to take a normal cap and grind or cut the spring loose so it didn't restrict flow.

Tom

Terry Moenich

Established Member
I figured I might have to do that. I was hoping to find the real deal though.

I doubt it was specifically for 107 cars, they had to have another application.

Thanks

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Yes, I agree it is probably from something else. In looking at the cap Ford used it has a cheesy aluminum overlay with a screen imprint of checkered flags. But under that overlay I am sure it is for another car. I just haven't heard of anyone figuring it out.

Tom

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Yes, I agree it is probably from something else. In looking at the cap Ford used it has a cheesy aluminum overlay with a screen imprint of checkered flags. But under that overlay I am sure it is for another car. I just haven't heard of anyone figuring it out.

Tom

Tom - The 95R has the checkered flag overlay, but as Terry mentioned, the "107 cars". Yes the 93R, and also the 00R have the degas, but each of them have a different looking cap. The 93R has what looks to be a regular cap on the radiator with white-out over the pressure information. It probably does have the inner parts cut and/or removed. Then the 95R with the unique cap shown below...........and then the 00R cap which is not like any of the other R's. All three of these cars have very similar looking caps on the degas bottle, except the 00Rs' cap has a cheaper sticker with the information instead of the metal plate as used on the 93 and 95R's. To me, it appears that the 00R used the same cap on the radiator and degas bottle, with mods done to the radiator cap. This small cap was a regular production item on the 1989 Probe. I think all three R's used this small probe cap on the degas bottle. and the 95 and 00R's had a modified variation of it, with a little extra time spent on the checkered flag thing for the 95R.

Picture1255.gif

Picture1256.gif

R

Terry Moenich

Established Member
that is what the 93 R rad cap should look like on the inside, I think! The Probe used the De-Gas bottle as well, so I am told!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
that is what the 93 R rad cap should look like on the inside, I think! The Probe used the De-Gas bottle as well, so I am told!

Terry - I called my friend at Ford parts today and had him look up the 1989 Probe cooling system. The Ford parts breakdown did not show a degas system, however, it did show the that small cap that appears to be what is used on the Cobra R degas systems. Basically it appears that the Probe cap moved from the Probe radiator to the degas bottle on the Cobra R applications, and the Cobra R radiator caps were modified to work with a degas system. :shrug:

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Thanks, BTW there is guy on Ebay with 9 de-gas bottle from a 95 R, new in the box. He had 11, I bought two.

Terry - I found the replacement cap. It is a E9S (1989 T-bird) radiator cap. The 89 Probe uses the same cap. Both cars do not show degas systems.

Below is a comparison between an original (left) 93R and 95R degas bottle cap and the current replacement (right). A cheaper sticker has replaced the original riveted plate. This is why I believe that the 95R radiator cap is this cap, maybe this original RS-76 cap info. is on the underside of the checkered flags? The 00R has two caps that look like the one on the right, I believe there is a different sticker, maybe blank, on the 00R radiator cap.

Picture1257.gif

Picture1258.gif

R

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I think the cap you have shown above is the same cap I have shown below, except with some mods done to the underside and the pressure info. whited-out when used in the 93R degas system.

Picture1275.gif

Picture1276.gif

R

Rob,

What does the other side of the cap look like? Does it have the spring?

Tom

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Rob,

What does the other side of the cap look like? Does it have the spring?

Tom

Yes this a regular production cap with a specific pressure rating as determined by that spring and noted on the label. I believe that the 93R radiator cap is this same cap, but with the spring either removed or disabled, and probably all of that seal, plate and spring removed like the 95R cap for the degas application, thus eliminating its "pressure rating". Then the white-out was applied to the original cap and the actual pressure function was performed at the degas bottle cap. Those are just my thoughts.

Picture1278.gif

Picture1277.gif

R

terryr

Established Member
The Probe used the De-Gas bottle as well, so I am told!

The R degas is the same part as the newer Probe V6. That's why they have such odd sized fittings. All those ebay 'special R degas' are probably probe parts.
I bought mine for 5 bucks at the wreckers.

ProbeV6Degas.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread