1995 R fuel cell option #2

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Just saying. :shrug:

I just changed my 1995 Cobra R fuel cell (it started dripping) to a stock SN95 unit (it was from a 1995 GT---which I heard was fast :-D ).

My excuse is that I am too cheap. The whole deal was $125 at my local Mustang salvage place.

Everything changes over (Ford/Roush only offered a few different parts), and now I have a under-the-radar 1995 Mustang.

Here is the 1995 Cobra R fuel cell (I'll be storing it):
95Rfuel1.gif

It's a great part but just not in my budget now to rebuild.

I took me, an amateur wrench, about three hours to change it. I had to paint the new brackets and change the fuel filter (FL-800).

I also don't have much room in my garage: :shrug:

95Rfuel.gif

It's still the most famous Ford factory production race car built in the last 18 years. It will be likely be the last one (due to Government restrictions).

JMHO.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I did the same thing about 2 years, or so, ago. I have been meaning to call the guy up in PA that is making the aluminum replacements. For the '95 R the fuel cell is one of the few exterior signs that it is an R. With a regular tank it just does not look as rare.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Is there any way to fabricate a fake cell to go over the stock GT tank so it looks correct from the rear ?
Dave,
I tried one other cell. You can see it under the car in picture #1.

The problem is with the enclosed case of the 95R cell. You have to cut it open and reweld it?

It's different with my 1965 cell (and I think what Gary has done with the #53 and the other car??).

19652008e.gif

I removed the top plate and installed a new bladder. Bladder = $250. My labor = 2 beers. Total cost over 13 years = $250.

Gary has a system where he replaces/reforms the cell above the trunk-line to make it more serviceable with no loss of lap times (although it increases a higher weight above the axles).

Street car 1995 Cobra R/GT (or any 94-95 V-8 replacement) = $125
Race car that passes tech? Not sure, but higher.

I'll make some better pictures tomorrow.

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
I ran a stock Mustang fuel tank on my 1995 Cobra R for a few months. It cost me $20 from a seller on Craigslist. It functioned fine but every now and then I would run into the enthusiast who would look for the fuel cell to validate that it was a real Cobra R. Then I would have to explain, blah, blah, blah.

Recently I installed a custom made fuel tank from Glenns Performance. I sent them my fuel cell and they used its dimensions for the fuel tank. The tank includes a fuel sump with custom anti siphoning feed tube to prevent running the sump dry. I used my stock Cobra R fuel cell straps, filler, sending unit, pump, etc. For gaskets I traced the accessories and mounting rings onto a sheet of 1/16 inch gasket then cut them out. I used ¼ inch this rubber matting cut to size as my padding between the tank and body. Once installed it would be very difficult to distinguish between the fuel cell and custom fuel tank. The tank was $669 and should last for the life of the car.
2013-02-15191854_zpsc896b81f.jpg

2013-02-15191631_zps88438405.jpg

2013-02-15191736_zps992a8654.jpg

2013-05-05124847_zpsec731138.jpg

2013-05-05124923_zps4720ed47.jpg

2013-05-05124938_zpsa26191e1.jpg

Last edited:

RJY

Established Member
Has anybody fabricated something similar for a 2000 R?

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
wheelhopper, I had the tank powdercoated locally. I think it cost me $50.

Tom, there isn't any nuts welded onto the tank. The bolts screw into the original Cobra R fuel cell attachment rings.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I Recently I installed a custom made fuel tank from Glenns Performance. I sent them my fuel cell and they used its dimensions for the fuel tank.

Todd,
Good job.

I kept all of my original parts safely stored away so I may go in a different direction one day.

The only different hook-up is the fuel filler tube. The R has a plate that bolts to the cell. The stock one uses the same tube. The fuel pump and fuel level parts interchange with the stock wiring harness.

I did change the fuel filter while I was under the car. I also changed the oil/filter. I bleed the brakes and used the Ford brake fluid that I've always liked (this isn't a track car). It was fun getting under one again (I had a new '94 Cobra).

The ABS light is confusing. I did a test on a deserted wet road. The ABS is working fine. I believe it to be a bad sensor giving the computer a code.

I like the look without the cell for this summer. It's been in storage at Gary's for 5 years so it's time to do a few north GA mountain cruises with the locals. ;-)

Side view (GT with R wheels?):
95R113a.gif

Stock 5.0L (I promise :rolleyes:):
95R113b.jpg

The collector car insurance is $72/yr. for full coverage.

wheelhopper

Established Member
wheelhopper, I had the tank powdercoated locally. I think it cost me $50.

Tom, there isn't any nuts welded onto the tank. The bolts screw into the original Cobra R fuel cell attachment rings.

That sounds cheap. I don't think I could find someone in my area to do it at that price. I would be looking at closer to $200.

99cobrajn

cant touch this........
Established Member
cobrar77 that is super cool. so you dont use a blatter then right? Do you know if he would make more?

brianz426

Established Member
I ran a stock Mustang fuel tank on my 1995 Cobra R for a few months. It cost me $20 from a seller on Craigslist. It functioned fine but every now and then I would run into the enthusiast who would look for the fuel cell to validate that it was a real Cobra R. Then I would have to explain, blah, blah, blah.

Recently I installed a custom made fuel tank from Glenns Performance. I sent them my fuel cell and they used its dimensions for the fuel tank. The tank includes a fuel sump with custom anti siphoning feed tube to prevent running the sump dry. I used my stock Cobra R fuel cell straps, filler, sending unit, pump, etc. For gaskets I traced the accessories and mounting rings onto a sheet of 1/16 inch gasket then cut them out. I used ¼ inch this rubber matting cut to size as my padding between the tank and body. Once installed it would be very difficult to distinguish between the fuel cell and custom fuel tank. The tank was $669 and should last for the life of the car.

Looks great Todd,
Not to change the subject, but is the exhaust shown in the picture the Flowmaster we talked about a few weeks back? Also I like how your tow hook is below the bumper. Been wanting to add them to my car but I don't want to put holes in the bumpers. Did you make them or buy them? Thanks

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
99cobrajn, the leak prone bladder is not used with this setup. However, I did reuse the foam. Like Brian said, he will make as many as you want.

Brian, the exhaust is the Flowmaster ALL Stainless Steel catback p/n 817212 we talked about. It fits nicely around the Cobra R fuel cell.

The tow hook was installed on the car by the original race team who set the car up for IMSA Competition. It was made with round bar bent to shape and welded to the bumper. Not the most secure setup but it is obvious it has been used…

Last edited:

NiceMustang

Established Member
Hi, I have a 95 R and was following the post in the SVT Perf forums and ran across your posts. I purchased a replacement from Glenn's and it arrived just as described. I powder coated it, put it all back together, and then noticed that there is a notch missing in the trailing edge of the tank compared to the original. The original cell has this notch (about 4" wide and maybe a 1/2" deep) which allows the bottom part of the trunk bracing to not come in contact with the top edge of the tank. Without this notch, the original strap will not work.

My question is Glenn's has not heard of this before, and many folks have used his tanks including yourself. How did you get around this issue?

Thanks!

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
I used my original straps. I think I understand the notch you are referring to and my replacement tank had it. Can you send a pic of your tank and the area in question?

NiceMustang

Established Member
Pic of the notch...

20140320_213126.jpg
Thanks for the reply. Here is a picture of the notch in the original cell.

Without this notch, the tank effectively sites lower by a half inch, and more towards the front of the car by an inch or so. But with that offset the original strap doesn't fit effectively being a half inch sort on the back where it hooks up to the mounting bracket with the pivot pin.
20140320_213126_zps7547f6b0.jpg

20140320_213126.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread