1996 Cobra AIR (smog, SAI) pump: why is inlet capped?

Rolf

I have a stock (200K miles, original exhaust, motor, etc.) 1996 Cobra. Running OK, but now throwing codes related to the smog pump (P0411, "Secondary Air Injection System Flow Improper") and one of the HO2 sensors (P0153, "Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit Slow Response - Bank No. 2"). The problem seems identical to this older SVT thread (don't know how that one was resolved, possibly by new O2 sensors).

I've removed the AIR motor, tested it on battery, appears to spin up fine. Checked all vacuum lines, fixed some that were bad (on evap emission canister). Checked downstream connection of AIR hoses to the so-called Thermactor AIR Diverter Bypass Valves (one per header bank, air and vac connections on these seem OK). Reassembled all, motor still throwing a code (now P1414, "Secondary Air injection monitor circuit high output"), which occurred almost immediately after a cold start. Motor surges on low speed deceleration, and holds a very fast idle (~1700 rpm) at closed throttle or after coming to a stop (eventually settles after ~1 minute).

Two questions:
1. Can anyone explain how the SAI pump works with the air input (the short J-hose) actually plugged with a plastic cap (attached image from ebay, but mine's identical) -- how can this work?

smogpump.png

2. Given that the pump seems to be nominally functional (at least it spins when directly connected to 12V battery), what other component(s) would prevent the SAI system from working correctly (given the above)?

Should I just replace the pump anyway? (Sorry, 3 questions).

Thanks much in advance for any ideas.

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
I will say that I don't know much about the inner workings of these things, but I will say that you can have mine when I take it off for free. Just pay shipping. My headers are supposed to be done by August 8th, so soon as they come in and I delete this mess, you can quite literally have my 18k bone stock SAI pump for free. I have no need for it, and all it would do is just take up necessary space around the garage. Don't know where you're at in the country, but it'll be coming from MN, so just pay shipping and it's yours! Let me know.

On a side note***, your 2nd point, have you thought about checking either the IMRC plates, and/or the EGR valve and whether not they're both either plugged or operating efficiently? I'll be deleting my EGR valve at the same time of my header install too, so just in case yours is bad there, you can have mine as well. Again, let me know.

Rolf

Hey Captain, that is very generous of you, thank you! I actually was just about to pull the trigger on a RockAuto order when I saw the SVT response notification, LOL. I will take any emission control parts you're deleting -- but yes, absolutely the AIR pump. Also, I'm a dumb ass -- I just examined the cap of the AIR pump, and it's not a solid cap, just a hat with a slot (presumably to prevent fluid entry), so that answers at least part of my question. I replaced the IMRC plates several years ago (bought used ones on ebay, Ford no longer makes them). The car otherwise runs okay on throttle, it's closed throttle deceleration at low engine speeds where it notably surges. If another AIR pump doesn't stop this code, my next step was new O2 sensors.

That's great your car has only 18K -- mine is 200K, although still running well (aside from above).

If you can let me know when the parts are off and arrange for shipping, I will gladly pay you for the trouble (paypal, check, whatever). I am just south of Houston in Sugar Land, Texas. I can send you details via email -- don't know if there's a way to PM at this site (I'm new to SVTperformance.com, this was my first post here).
Let me know. Best and thanks //rolf

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
Hey Captain, that is very generous of you, thank you! I actually was just about to pull the trigger on a RockAuto order when I saw the SVT response notification, LOL. I will take any emission control parts you're deleting -- but yes, absolutely the AIR pump. Also, I'm a dumb ass -- I just examined the cap of the AIR pump, and it's not a solid cap, just a hat with a slot (presumably to prevent fluid entry), so that answers at least part of my question. I replaced the IMRC plates several years ago (bought used ones on ebay, Ford no longer makes them). The car otherwise runs okay on throttle, it's closed throttle deceleration at low engine speeds where it notably surges. If another AIR pump doesn't stop this code, my next step was new O2 sensors.

That's great your car has only 18K -- mine is 200K, although still running well (aside from above).

If you can let me know when the parts are off and arrange for shipping, I will gladly pay you for the trouble (paypal, check, whatever). I am just south of Houston in Sugar Land, Texas. I can send you details via email -- don't know if there's a way to PM at this site (I'm new to SVTperformance.com, this was my first post here).
Let me know. Best and thanks //rolf

As soon as my headers are in and on, you're my next call. Thanks

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
Update so far, BBK said my headers won't be getting close to done till 'mid-September'. So for right now, I still don't have them. I want you to have my parts, but just want to make sure you can still enjoy your car and all while we wait for my stuff to get done. I know you mentioned you were about to pull the trigger on a rock auto one, just hoping you didn't pull the trigger on that yet?

Rolf

Ok, headers are on. EGR and SAI pump are off and free/ready to ship. What do you want? Do you want both or just the SAI? Message me and we'll figure out shipping. Thanks
Hi Cap'n, I just sent you a PM (i.e., a post to your profile with mailing address). Please let me know how you want to receive funds for shipping, etc. Thanks! //Rolf

Users who are viewing this thread