1999 - 2001 Cobra Differences

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
srl135 said:
the purpose of the acid dip was to basically bore out the intake manifold for a higher flow rate for better hp. The hone and the acid dip both did the job and as i have understood it..did it equally as well. The honed is just boring out the whole manifold with an actual machine or CNC. same job just one chemical approach and one machining approach.

to clear up the misinformation...all acid dipping is going to do is remove flash, sort of help "smooth" the surface...

in addition, extrude hone is not a machining operation....they basically take a fixture plate that has an opening the same size and shape as the part, this bolts to a large pump...then they pump a "sludge" through (usually silica and sand, w/ water, sometimes diamond dust, depending on the hardness of the material being extrude honed)...this abrasively removes material from whichever passages the "sludge" passes through...this works well for intakes in that most of the areas have good transition, without abrupt changes in direction, since extrude honing will wear any protrusions into the path of the flow faster than the walls...just FYI...carry on...

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
Nitrous SSC said:
How do I know if our 01 is a Teksid?

Look in between the heads under the intake in the center of the block. If it has a square grid pattern, its Teksid.

Last edited:

MuscleOwnzRice

Words that make me cool
Established Member
little beefier

the 01s were fitting with a little stiffer bushings but thats really it, and they made sure to correct the recalls that had to be done, hence no 2000 only an R.
But no big differences almost exactly the same if you have the recall....which i didnt! Working on it though:cuss:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
MuscleOwnzRice said:
the 01s were fitting with a little stiffer bushings but thats really it, and they made sure to correct the recalls that had to be done, hence no 2000 only an R.
But no big differences almost exactly the same if you have the recall....which i didnt! Working on it though:cuss:

exactly the same...meaning, different seats, guages, radio, spoiler, tranny, tune, beefier halfshafts, etc etc etc....LOL

Ain'tQuiteCobra

Umm... I have a question....

I have a 1999 or 2001 Cobra motor. According to the pulley diagram, it is an 01, but the heads have a 12/99 sticker on them... This is important info too, as apparently (according to the SMOG manual) the 2001 Cobra is supposed to have an Air Injection System. Which my car was not equipped with.. Well, my motor wasn't... From Ford.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
if it was a crate motor, it was probably one slated for the 2000 cobra that never ended up being made....they then sold all of the engines as crate engines...

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
quick01snake said:
if it was a crate motor, it was probably one slated for the 2000 cobra that never ended up being made....they then sold all of the engines as crate engines...
Exactly right.
They also sold some to Panoz.
I got one for my old 2000 GT, and the build date was 12/99 I believe.
It was also a Teksid block.
Really a nice package for the dough.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Nova2427 said:
Would a stock 1999 Cobra outrun a stock 2003 Mach 1?

probably not...wouldn't be a blowout, but the mach would pull i'm pretty sure, as long it is is a manual trans...auto would probably be pretty even...

Sammyboy

Established Member
I know that the Mach 1 runs a 305hp 3.73:1 gears and the 1999 Cobra would have a 320hp (supposedly) with 3.23:1 gears. What if the cobra swapped the gears to a 4.10:1 ratio, I knew it would be tight, but I figured it was all because of the gearing.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Nova2427 said:
I know that the Mach 1 runs a 305hp 3.73:1 gears and the 1999 Cobra would have a 320hp (supposedly) with 3.23:1 gears. What if the cobra swapped the gears to a 4.10:1 ratio, I knew it would be tight, but I figured it was all because of the gearing.

actually the mach has 3.55 gears, and the cobra has 3.27 gears...but yes 4.10's will def help with launch but when it comes to acceleration or which car would pull, it's still a power/weight ratio thing, and the machs were underrated on power...they usually make a tad more rwhp on the 5 speeds than a 99/01 cobra....

Sammyboy

Established Member
So what you are saying is that a 99 Cobra with 4.10:1 gears will pull on a 2003 Mach 1 in the quarter mile....or the other way around?

Users who are viewing this thread