1st to 2nd Gear Grinding what can i do?

nbg-mustang

Established Member
Hello Guys,

at the moment i have installed the FR KR Shifter. But the problem is the same than before instaling the Shifter. When i WOT the 1st gear and switch in the 2nd than the 2nd gear is grinding.
I have read a lot of Threads here, there one recommends to install a MGW Shifter.
Is there any other solution to stop gear grinding? Can i install any other ring´s/disks or any other parts in the gearbox to stop the gear grinding?

I also have read that it help´s to add AMSOIL in the gearbox. Does anybody of you have experiences if the gearbox works better if i add these oil?

Thank you for your answere.

Daniel

SuperFly03

Established Member
Yes new shifter helps. Yes AMSOIL helps.

It's all the same answers as in all the other threads. There are no other real parts you can add.

nbg-mustang

Established Member
Thank´s Guys for your answere. I think i will order a MGW Shifter.

@Nick i´m locatet in Bavaria, near Vilseck. My location is round about 55Miles away from Vilseck. Maybe we can have a meet. In Nuremberg where i stay we have every 1. and 3. Saturday a US Car meeting.

Thank you Guys
Daniel

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Thank´s Guys for your answere. I think i will order a MGW Shifter.

@Nick i´m locatet in Bavaria, near Vilseck. My location is round about 55Miles away from Vilseck. Maybe we can have a meet. In Nuremberg where i stay we have every 1. and 3. Saturday a US Car meeting.

Thank you Guys
Daniel

@Daniel. I was stationed in Vilseck back in 2002-2005 and Wiesbaden from 2008-2011. I am very familiar with Nuremberg. 1FCN :rockon:

You'll LOVE the MGW shifter!! Viel Glueck!!

-Nick

Last edited:

nbg-mustang

Established Member
Nick sound´s good. I was the first time in USA from 28.2.2014-13.03.2014 in Houston Texas and enjoy my trip.

1.FCN is the Number one :coolman:

I order the Shifter now.

Danke dir:beer:

Daniel

SuperFly03

Established Member
The shifter is a monumental upgrade. I went Barton over MGW but both get equally rave reviews. It is damn good money spent.

69Mach1351w

Established Member
Honestly I have done the Amsoil tranny fluid, the MGW and i still had the grind.
In fact..... when i come out of my driveway and try to shift to second over an elevation change of 8" the tranny doesnt like to shift into 2nd. Basically certain angles of shift = grind and rejection.

Even though i have MGW, the only thing that circumvents the grinding is the WOT box, which is totally freakin awesome, but still causes me to hear the 2nd gear grind unless im full throttle 1st gear. Full throttle 1st = spinning its ass off = not as much negative torque unload betwee shifts = smooth shifts.

just my .02

BLK03SVT

Mike
Established Member
I had the 1-2 grind and it was completely solved by installing the MGW. Best of luck to you- it's the worst thing about these cars if you were one of the many that has that problem like I was.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I think a big cause is trying to shift into 2nd during loss of traction (wheel spin). If you are spinning, press the clutch in, pause for the rear wheels to grab and the synchros to align and then shift. No spin = no grind on a healthy transmission. If the tranny has been trashed, then the grind can happen without loss of traction.

BLK03SVT

Mike
Established Member
I think a big cause is trying to shift into 2nd during loss of traction (wheel spin). If you are spinning, press the clutch in, pause for the rear wheels to grab and the synchros to align and then shift. No spin = no grind on a healthy transmission. If the tranny has been trashed, then the grind can happen without loss of traction.

I know this topic has been discussed ten-fold on here but I agree that your approach may "solve" the problem. As I'm sure you agree, the fact that my rear wheels are spinning shouldn't have anything to do with why my transmission won't go 1-2 at 5500 rpm. It's ridiculous and I refused to continue to own a car that I can't shift 1-2 (one of the most important competition shifts) without confidence. My suggestion is to install the MGW- it's a straightforward install and can be done in your garage on jack-stands.

He does have a good point- most guys with the 1-2 probably try different techniques repeatedly to see if it makes the problem go away, meanwhile trashing the transmission.

Brute

Established Member
Nbg. Go to allfordmustang list serve and you will find denya (when you do a search of the 1 - 2 gear grind) who is at corporate customer service at Ford. My contact with her is causing all the internals of my transmission to be replaced at a ford dealership.

While a Barton shifter is a great upgrade, it does not mask or fix the grind issue.

Good luck.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Good luck with Ford. I realize some have been successful, I have not. Amazingly, my local dealer did an inquiry and reported to me that Ford is unaware of any issues with the 11-12 GT500 transmission. Plausible denial I guess.... I HATE the tranny in this car, even with the MGW and Amsoil. Like a bandaid on a gaping wound. I do not shift at WOT, so the magic box probably will not help me....

nbg-mustang

Established Member
Thank you Guys for your answere. But i habe the problem with gear grinding when i do not have wheel spin but WOT. I search for the Guy on allfordmustang and contact him. I give you a answere when i have a solution. But you Guys can also post here in this Thread again and again, maybe we found a solution together.

Thank you,
Daniel

heatsoaked12

Established Member
Only way to shift this car successfully, no mater what the traction or rpm from 1-2 is-1) Let off gas pedal completely 2) Only when your foot is off the gas pedal, press the clutch to the floor 3) Only when your clutch pedal is to the floor, shift to second. With practice this can be achieved in approximately one third of a second. This transmission needs to be shifted under negative torque which aids in the meshing of 1-2. Tremec did not design this tranny well. I'm sure the MGW shifter makes a difference as it creates more pressure on the sincros to get the job done faster. No manufacture wants to do anything about this problem and the rest of the world just wants to believe we don't know how to shift.... but 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 are no problem. BY the way the chief engineer of the gt500 even admitted to a lot of complaints of the 1-2 grind.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Only way to shift this car successfully, no mater what the traction or rpm from 1-2 is-1) Let off gas pedal completely 2) Only when your foot is off the gas pedal, press the clutch to the floor 3) Only when your clutch pedal is to the floor, shift to second. With practice this can be achieved in approximately one third of a second. This transmission needs to be shifted under negative torque which aids in the meshing of 1-2. Tremec did not design this tranny well. I'm sure the MGW shifter makes a difference as it creates more pressure on the sincros to get the job done faster. No manufacture wants to do anything about this problem and the rest of the world just wants to believe we don't know how to shift.... but 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 are no problem. BY the way the chief engineer of the gt500 even admitted to a lot of complaints of the 1-2 grind.

That is a very sad story above. I would add that the way my Ford dealer described a proper shift in the GT500 is to shift below 2k RPMs... If that is what it takes to shift the GT500, might was well get a Fiesta and save some gas money + $50k.

I did contact the person on allfordmustang.com and they already responded. Basically offered to escalate my complaint but would not be willing to help me contact anyone specifically. Ford is clearly, overtly, not interested in dealing with this issue. Otherwise, they would have issued a TSB long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread