2.3 roush to 2.9 whipple

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Yep, bolts right on. The increased capacity will give your TB, injectors, intake tube and fuel pump a workout depending on what's already been done in those areas.

alex12gt

Established Member
Sweet so whats the cost and im assuming thats what you have done? Im just wondering if it will be cheaper to do this then just pushing the hell out of the 2.3

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
On the same size pulley I gained 100hp and tq even while dropping compression a point. I'm a fan.

r.barn

Established Member
Whipple gets the lower intake manifold from Roush.

2.9 upgrade head unit only runs a little over $3k if I remember right.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Dont be so quick to dump that Roush blower brother.....

I am personally a fan of pushing something til you cant push no more and see what it's capable of first..... The biggest problem I see with the Roush TVS is not being able to go past about 12-13 lbs of boost. I have the 69mm upper, and you can't put a bigger lower on, so I am throwing about as much boost at it as I can. I do admit, for $3200 or whatever the 2.9 head unit is, it's awefully tempting..... but I am not sure lb for lb what the difference would really be. I fell as though there is still alot more power potential with the Roush blower, but can't squeeze it out because I have pretty much the smallest upper available.

Bud

Established Member
Dont be so quick to dump that Roush blower brother.....

I am personally a fan of pushing something til you cant push no more and see what it's capable of first..... The biggest problem I see with the Roush TVS is not being able to go past about 12-13 lbs of boost. I have the 69mm upper, and you can't put a bigger lower on, so I am throwing about as much boost at it as I can. I do admit, for $3200 or whatever the 2.9 head unit is, it's awefully tempting..... but I am not sure lb for lb what the difference would really be. I fell as though there is still alot more power potential with the Roush blower, but can't squeeze it out because I have pretty much the smallest upper available.

Move to sea level and that TVS will scream...or put some nitrous on it :poke:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
LOL, N20, there you go!

I should qualify my remarks. Without a doubt, the 2.9 with the same pulley size is going to make more power. I have a 2.7 upper on right now. I believe slagburn dynoed with a similar size upper and made about 30-40 more hp and 40 or 50 more tq....Acutally think he made more like 70 more tflbs..... I don't even know if his upper was that small? Can't remember... But you also have to remember, with that bigger blower, with the same size pulley, it's going to make more boost. So, his car was pushing more boost to get those numbers yet it was on a simlarish size pulley.... make sense? lol

So, lb for lb I think the power is about the same, but the 2.9 definitely has more potential to move more air and will make more power with more boost because of that.

alex12gt

Established Member
Ive actually been thinking of just building the motor and and pushing the 2.3 and then just throwing some nitrous on it im already over 600hp now with the 79mm pulley and the power is just getting adicting so i figure i may be able to get 700 out of a 2.3 and slap nitrous on for the over kill factor

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Right on brother. 2.9 has more potential no doubt. I consider my 2.3 TVS maxed out at this point, only because I can't throw more boost at it. 12 lbs and it's done, that's sad! For the love of god, someone needs to step up and make a bigger crank pulley. Screw the money on a new blower, more spray!

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
There is a 10%? over ATI damper out there last I checked, not sure how the overall fit would work out. I'd have stayed with the 2.3 Whipple but the motor got hurt.
Not that anybody in this thread is shooting for 1K to the wheels but big hitter status is gonna take more than a 2.9 unless you build a full cobra jet replica motor.

Bud

Established Member
Right on brother. 2.9 has more potential no doubt. I consider my 2.3 TVS maxed out at this point, only because I can't throw more boost at it. 12 lbs and it's done, that's sad! For the love of god, someone needs to step up and make a bigger crank pulley. Screw the money on a new blower, more spray!

Get the ford racing 10rib kit with the 20% OD damper, that should do up the TVS nicely (too bad it is so expensive, nitrous is a third of the price :poke:)

I know, right.... He had the fuel system and everything... Just no balls!:rockon:

Next year will be a whole new chapter in fast times...at least it better be or I quit.

OP: If you are only on the 79mm pulley you still have pulleys to go. I'd build and pulley it down and do nitrous...would be a beast.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
There is a 10%? over ATI damper out there last I checked, not sure how the overall fit would work out. I'd have stayed with the 2.3 Whipple but the motor got hurt.
Not that anybody in this thread is shooting for 1K to the wheels but big hitter status is gonna take more than a 2.9 unless you build a full cobra jet replica motor.

Hit me with a link to the ATI unit brother.... Bud's is/was stock size, no?

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Get the ford racing 10rib kit with the 20% OD damper, that should do up the TVS nicely (too bad it is so expensive, nitrous is a third of the price :poke:)

Next year will be a whole new chapter in fast times...at least it better be or I quit.

OP: If you are only on the 79mm pulley you still have pulleys to go. I'd build and pulley it down and do nitrous...would be a beast.

I am thinking of getting the 305/30/20 MT ETsreets or the 315/35/20 NT05 drag radials and seeing what happens! I aint spending no couple grand on pulleys, at that point, might as well do the 2.9!

alex12gt

Established Member
Yeah i know i can drop more boost and im not going to beat anyone numbers wise but the words out on my car in the area and people wont play lol im just doing it for fun and to say i did it

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
i thought there is a 69mm "kill" pulley that justin makes? I think that coupled with a bigger TB and JLT should really make the blower scream. that should be good for 17psi.

Users who are viewing this thread