2.3L Turbo the most interesting new offering?

ObieFox

Established Member
Am I the only one that thinks the 2.3 Turbo option is the most interesting thing about the new 2015?

I would think the aftermarket will provide a healthy set of upgrades for this factory forced induction model.

With some work, 400 plus HP at the tire in a lighter package would be pretty sweet....

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
It's good that it's going to be in the Mustang first because it's rumored to be put in the new Focus RS. Hopefully that will make it over here where there will already be a healthy aftermarket already.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
i think that the coyote will still be the better platform to mod with more power potential.

blackvette101

Established Member
Unfortunately it may have trouble with a healthy aftermarket since it doesn't seem to be very mod friendly with:

GT22 turbo rated to flow 280 hp
T25 manifold cast into cylinder head
Cast pistons

and this is just speculation but possible direct injection fueling like the other ecoboosts.

peteypab2133

Established Member
Unfortunately it may have trouble with a healthy aftermarket since it doesn't seem to be very mod friendly with:

Cast pistons

and this is just speculation but possible direct injection fueling like the other ecoboosts.

Ehh,

$700 for some Manley turbo tuff rods
$600 for some weisco pistons
$250 for some head studs
$2000 for a FP turbo (red or black in size)
some injectors, tune and exhaust prolly another $1500 or so..

That will be good for 575-600 RWHP... I have total faith in this car, and I for one would be interested in it. my 2.0L lancer evo made 700 awhp with similar mods.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Ehh,

$250 for some head studs

That will be good for 575-600 RWHP... I have total faith in this car, and I for one would be interested in it. my 2.0L lancer evo made 700 awhp with similar mods.

i doubt that math is going to work out especially if it is direct injection. also you will need a larger intercooler along with new cold side piping and possibly hot side pipes as well. and that is assuming that you do all the work. even then a 5 liter will have 650rwhp with just a simple bolt on blower.

All-Or-Nothing

Established Member
Ehh,

$250 for some head studs

You forgot about a HFPF that doesn't exist to fuel that system.

jgut12

I doubt the aftermarket companies will not be all over this new mustang guys - It will be mod friendly I am sure. I too am from the boy racer age (I had some tuner cars that made well over 500hp with FI) and am excited to see what they have to offer in the next year.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

Cast pistons

I'm gonna say negative on the turbo unless it's been posted what it has. Reports have speculated hp at over 300hp, and coupled with early reports of the RS having 330+hp with the same motor, I'm gonna say it has more potentiat than 280hp.

Steve@Tasca

I think it's fantastic that the 2.3 turbo is coming, it means that there's a Mustang for every purpose.

Obviously the V8 is going to be the horsepower king, no doubt about that but a 2.3 turbo with some mods will be a monster on a road course because it's going to be much better balanced and lighter.

It certainly doesn't take anything away from the V8 cars although it may put a rather large dent in V6 sales but time will tell.

Also when talking about parts availability just look at the Terminator, how many aftermarket fuel upgrades were out there when the car was released? Not many.

-Steve

Last edited:

blackvette101

Established Member
Ehh,

$250 for some head studs

Yes those are all options but highly expensive options unless you can rebuild an engine in your garage. This limits the aftermarket because most people will not sink thousands into a mustang 4 cylinder to get to GT power levels.

As far as the FP black the world record for a stock frame turbo was just over 700 awhp on a 2.3 held by AWD motorsports and they still had to turn it down to 680 awhp to make it live. So IF you did make 700 with a 2.0 and an FP black you should apply for the record. Also any of those stock frame turbo's won't make much over 480-500 WHP on pump gas. Which is what most will run. E85 presents issues with availability and further complicating DI fueling issues.

Sure all these can be worked around. You couldtake the head off and cut the flange and weld on a T3 flange. You can change the cast pistons. You can add a standalone auxiliary fuel system with separate map based fuel controller. But most won't. Most will put on basic bolt ons and call it a day before they drop 10 grand into a 4 cylinder to get to levels that 5.0's can easily get too. Their will be some that do it but unless many do it the aftermarket may lag after basic bolt ons.

Check out modded 335i's with aftermarket turbos making over 500whp. All have HPFPs.

Yes and it took them like 4 years to develop those fueling solutions unfortunately.

I'm gonna say negative on the turbo unless it's been posted what it has. Reports have speculated hp at over 300hp, and coupled with early reports of the RS having 330+hp with the same motor, I'm gonna say it has more potentiat than 280hp.

It's been posted on mustang6g.com. I hope that's not what it is since I will be picking up a 2.3. But it makes sense in Fords eyes. They don't care If the turbo has headroom for aftermarket enhancements. They want the smallest possible turbo that will hit their power goals with the least amount of lag. Garrett rates the turbo to flow 280 hp worth of air but that's just a general statement. By making a more efficient engine they can definitely make more power with the same airflow that a less efficient engine will make. This also creates an abundance of down low torque from operating a compressor at the edge of its efficiency. Ford loves that.

We know the focus RS will use the 2.3 but we don't know what turbo. They could just upgrade to a GT25. They did the same thing with the Focus ST. The K03 Is rated to flow like 240 hp but they put it in the 252 hp Focus. The GT22 is the turbo you want if your not going to mod or if you are Ford.

And yes it will have more potential then 280. That's what garrett rates it at. The K03 is rated at 240 hp but people put it to 300+ hp all day.

Last edited:

LostPony

Established Member
I plan to get one for my wife. If they had only done the coyote and the V6, I probably wouldn't bother getting her one. I'm intrigued by the motor and the 6 speed auto with rev match, so that is the combination I will be looking at.

trolls56

Established Member
I had been considering a Focus ST for a daily driver. If the I4 come in around the same price as a ST3 Focus and gets better MPG. I would consider getting one as a daily driver. I spend enough money on gas for my Raptor that i could have a car payment.

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
I know when I was looking at Ecoboost stuff, the aftermarket had not come up with fueling for them yet. Has that changed?

peteypab2133

Established Member
Yes those are all options but highly expensive options unless you can rebuild an engine in your garage. This limits the aftermarket because most people will not sink thousands into a mustang 4 cylinder to get to GT power levels.

As far as the FP black the world record for a stock frame turbo was just over 700 awhp on a 2.3 held by AWD motorsports and they still had to turn it down to 680 awhp to make it live. So IF you did make 700 with a 2.0 and an FP black you should apply for the record. Also any of those stock frame turbo's won't make much over 480-500 WHP on pump gas. Which is what most will run. E85 presents issues with availability and further complicating DI fueling issues.

Sure all these can be worked around. You couldtake the head off and cut the flange and weld on a T3 flange. You can change the cast pistons. You can add a standalone auxiliary fuel system with separate map based fuel controller. But most won't. Most will put on basic bolt ons and call it a day before they drop 10 grand into a 4 cylinder to get to levels that 5.0's can easily get too. Their will be some that do it but unless many do it the aftermarket may lag after basic bolt ons.

Yes and it took them like 4 years to develop those fueling solutions unfortunately.

It's been posted on mustang6g.com. I hope that's not what it is since I will be picking up a 2.3. But it makes sense in Fords eyes. They don't care If the turbo has headroom for aftermarket enhancements. They want the smallest possible turbo that will hit their power goals with the least amount of lag. Garrett rates the turbo to flow 280 hp worth of air but that's just a general statement. By making a more efficient engine they can definitely make more power with the same airflow that a less efficient engine will make. This also creates an abundance of down low torque from operating a compressor at the edge of its efficiency. Ford loves that.

We know the focus RS will use the 2.3 but we don't know what turbo. They could just upgrade to a GT25. They did the same thing with the Focus ST. The K03 Is rated to flow like 240 hp but they put it in the 252 hp Focus. The GT22 is the turbo you want if your not going to mod or if you are Ford.

And yes it will have more potential then 280. That's what garrett rates it at. The K03 is rated at 240 hp but people put it to 300+ hp all day.

First to clarify I said similar mods. I had a 67mm on my car. I used the FP black as a reference in size. And a stock frame fp black is just to say hey I fit this into this.

Secondly
Most dont have to drop 10 k to reach goals. I can honestly say regardless of what we do in the USA in europe where this car will be the biggest deal is where the R&D will shine.

To get 500 rwhp out of a base 5.0 right now is more than a couple grand as well. Blower, exhaust, maybe cams and a tune. Still talking 6 or 7 grand.. and lets talk safely reaching those numbers.

I think we are under estimating the potential of the aftermarket crowd surrounding this platform. Remember its world wide now..

IT-Purrrs

Established Member
There seems to be a TON to offer with this new Mustang. If you only think that the 2.3 Ecoboost motor is the only better then to offer on this car then you really have not done your research. It seems that they have improved on everything, especially the technology and making this car competitive everywhere. Ford is looking to take the fight to the big boys with this one.

Users who are viewing this thread