2.3L Whipple finally installed on my '13 5.0

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Hi guys,

I bought this 2.3L Whipple tuner kit back in December (via Hypermotive), and been sitting on it, I finally got it installed (well, somebody experienced did the work, not me).

Per my tuner's recommendation, and even though I know they're overkill at this point, I went with ID1000 injectors, and I also decided to get the JLT CAI so I would definitely hear the whine, and to give me a better chance of hitting 600 RWHP, my hope/goal.

Going to get tuned today at 4PM, so we'll see just how close I'll be to that number, especially running the 9psi pulley.

Anyway, here's the first start-up video and some pics :)

[youtube_browser]I4tQ17pCVfI[/YouTube_browser]

2014-03-22_done05_zpsc991e3a4.jpg

2014-03-23_supercharged-pony1_zpsd2184fe5.jpg

2014-03-22_done07_zps322edca5.jpg

2014-03-22_done10_zps6710e6e1.jpg

2014-03-22_done04_zpsc0aa68ce.jpg

2014-03-23_done1_zpscbb274a3.jpg

NickSezz

Established Member
Look like a 3.375 pulley.

I made 592/500 with the 3.25 pulley and similar parts otherwise on a safe 93 tune with 47lb injectors.

I would expect to see your car make similar power and maybe just a bit less torque from less boost. it all depends on how aggressive they get with the tune.

My guess is 580/480

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
So, I went to get tuned yesterday ... left with a dialed-back-timing tune to keep things very safe since I'm having a major problem with the throttle ... it has a dead spot at the top of the pedal travel, then it gives too much throttle.

Part-throttle is also crap, hiccuping/bucking like crazy sometimes.

The kit came with a new twin 60mm GT500 throttle body, the tuner says on his laptop he can't see the throttle position sensor values change during that dead spot.
Short fuel trims are dead-on according to him.

Not sure if these cars have a tip-in adjustment, also not sure if the tuner looked at that.

The throttle body has a hex screw on top-right, this screw has some paint marks on it and on the throttle body, these marks don't line up.

Anybody have any thoughts?

The hex screw is visible in this pic on the top-right of the TB:

2014-03-25_TB1_zps31ccde7c.jpg

Last edited:

Joey8

Established Member
So, I went to get tuned yesterday ... left with a dialed-back-timing tune to keep things very safe since I'm having a major problem with the throttle ... it has a dead spot at the top of the pedal travel, then it gives too much throttle.

Part-throttle is also crap, hiccuping/bucking like crazy sometimes.

The kit came with a new twin 60mm GT500 throttle body, the tuner says on his laptop he can't see the throttle position sensor values change during that dead spot.
Short fuel trims are dead-on according to him.

Not sure if these cars have a tip-in adjustment, also not sure if the tuner looked at that.

The throttle body has a hex screw on top-right, this screw has some paint marks on it and on the throttle body, these marks don't line up.

Anybody have any thoughts?

The hex screw is visible in this pic on the top-right of the TB:

2014-03-25_TB1_zps31ccde7c.jpg

Sorry to hear that Gabe. To me at least, nothing is more frustrating then running into problems after a sweet mod, especially a blower. But its better to be cautious then to just say f*ck it and run an aggressive tune and cause even more problems. Take it slow be in touch with your tuner and I'm sure he will get everything ironed out! Good luck nad be sure to report back with what it puts down :beer:

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
A teaser vid ... :)

[YOUTUBE_browser]7jdu8SoBTik[/YOUTUBE_browser]

NickSezz

Established Member
You should almost never have to touch the hex screw on the twin 60 throttle body. The mark on the screw should line up with another mark on the back of the throttle body out of view in your picture. The other blue mark you see on the front is irrelevant.

If you need assistance with tuning let me know. We have this setup dialed in.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
You should almost never have to touch the hex screw on the twin 60 throttle body. The mark on the screw should line up with another mark on the back of the throttle body out of view in your picture. The other blue mark you see on the front is irrelevant.

If you need assistance with tuning let me know. We have this setup dialed in.

I need assistance with tuning.
Tried calling the shop but it was 6PM, you guys must've closed by then.

Tried another throttle body and you can see it not move for the first bit of pedal travel, then it jerks open, same behavior as the new TB that came with the Whipple kit.

The tuner says the Throttle Position Sensor reads something like 4.1-4.3V at idle, which apparently is what it should read at WOT?

El Chingon

Established Member
Hi Gabe, very nice car I've been following your progress on the car and it's coming along nicely! Hopefully this is not too intrusive but how much does a S/C set up like this cost? I've been seriously considering this for my car.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Hi Gabe, very nice car I've been following your progress on the car and it's coming along nicely! Hopefully this is not too intrusive but how much does a S/C set up like this cost? I've been seriously considering this for my car.

Thanks and as far as cost, for everything (blower, CAI, injectors, plugs), I've got over $7k in parts ... most places around here want around $1500 for install. I got a deal on that, I won't mention how much.
Then the tuning which can run over $400 easy, especially if you don't already have a hand-held tuner

Users who are viewing this thread