2.81" pulley, stock cage, stock idlers, stock look - possible?

MysticRob

Established Member
Guys, I definitely want to retain the stock (aka stealth) look in the engine bay and keep the stock cage and stock idlers when I change to a 2.81" steel steeda pulley in the future. I want the added power, yet also get by the notorious smog nazis. The car will be an occasional weekend cruiser with some short high rpm blasts and won't be driven daily since I have a beater Saturn SL1 for that task. The car will not be tracked or beaten on.

The search function is non-op for my specific key words and is difficult to pull valid results from so I apologize if this has been asked and answered elsewhere already. I just haven't been able to find it.

I've read multiple conflicting posts that it IS and ISN'T possible to run a 2.81" pulley and retain all the stock pieces by simply running a shorter belt. I'd like this thread to answer the question once and for all by having those of you actually running the same set up, or who know someone who is, reply. This will hopefully put the subject to rest for everyone on whether it is possible.

I know Cobra Bob's Belt Guide has some great info, but want to ensure it's absolutely accurate for this specific set up to avoid problems and to help us get it right the first time. I've read the green Gates HD belt is especially good at eliminating/minimizing belt slip. Which part # for my specific application? The K080733HD? Anything else?
Belt Guide

I also read this interesting thread that indicates that it's possible to use a specific belt size to help position the tensioner in such a way as to provide more tension on the belt. I'm hopeful this will help eliminate or at least minimize belt slip. Any other tips or tricks? Does this actually work?
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/485098-tensioner-forces-analyzed.html

If nothing else works, this thread was interesting, proving it's possible to come close to the stock look even with an aftermarket idler. Any other ideas like this?
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...tealth-pulley-cover-2-93-billetflow-snub.html

So there you have it -- my 'knowledge' goes only so far and I'm sure is mostly just assumptions. Help us all out and reply with your results. And thanks in advance!

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
It's absolutely possible since thats the way my car was when I first put a pulley on. Be aware though that if you are keeping the stock idlers on the blower belt they are stamped steel and are prone to grenading. Plenty of threads on that. Mine cracked I luckily found out before they came apart.

Cobra8urZ06

Established Member
It is possible. You can use the stock cage too to hide it. Noone will know. Not sure the belt size though that will be needed

big dad

Established Member
PM me, I have the answer to your question. This is what I have done to my Cobra. It involves modifying the stock pulley cover, too look like it's factory.

There is some fabricating and filler work involved.

MysticRob

Established Member
It's absolutely possible since thats the way my car was when I first put a pulley on. Be aware though that if you are keeping the stock idlers on the blower belt they are stamped steel and are prone to grenading. Plenty of threads on that. Mine cracked I luckily found out before they came apart.

Ah yes, I've seen pics and threads related to this problem. That then brings up the question of replacement pullies. I know Metco, Billetflow, Reichard, and others have good reps but wanting to retain the stock appearance, what's a better quality bolt-in pulley that still looks stock? And just how easy or difficult is it to remove the old pullies and install better ones? Simply unbolt, and bolt, or is there more to it?

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I'd love to see this on a ported/pullied cobra. Maybe some hidden spray too ;) sneaky sneaky

etera2ed.jpg

eduzereg.jpg

1wild-horse

Established Member
The idlers are not hard to change, single bolt takes em off. The problem with the aftermarket ones is finding the right size. Cobra Bob's site has a belt guide for different pulley combinations but I've read some people ran into issues still. Who knows maybe they were not routing the belt correctly either.

MysticRob

Established Member
The idlers are not hard to change, single bolt takes em off. The problem with the aftermarket ones is finding the right size. Cobra Bob's site has a belt guide for different pulley combinations but I've read some people ran into issues still. Who knows maybe they were not routing the belt correctly either.

Nice. I think I'll go with the Gates green stripe belt since I hear they're the best for durability, strength, and maintaining tension, it will help minimize belt slip while maintaining the stock look.

Anyone know the exact size Gates belt they used for the same setup I'll have? Cobra Bob's belt site shows that a 73.75" will fit so that would translate to the Gates K080733HD (73 3/4"). Does that sound right to anyone else running the same setup? Since I'll be ordering it remotely, I'd like to get the length right the first time. :beer:

I plugged that part # into Amazon.com's site and it came up with 2 different belts --- 1 from Gates, and the other from AC Delco. I assume Gates is just making the belt for Delco, since they share the same part #, but can anyone confirm that just in case?

1wild-horse

Established Member
Here's a pic of mine. Stock cover, stock idlers and tensioner. Just a 2.8 steel Steeda pulley under there. Stock appearing as you can make it except the JLT and icebox. Oh and a pic of my stock pulley next to the belt jacket of the belt I used. Was recommended by the Steeda sales consultant, even recommended I buy it locally because there was a good chance it would be cheaper. I believe that's the number you're looking for.:beer:
2rnvw3k.jpg

21orbtg.jpg

MysticRob

Established Member
Here's a pic of mine. Stock cover, stock idlers and tensioner. Just a 2.8 steel Steeda pulley under there. Stock appearing as you can make it except the JLT and icebox. Oh and a pic of my stock pulley next to the belt jacket of the belt I used. Was recommended by the Steeda sales consultant, even recommended I buy it locally because there was a good chance it would be cheaper. I believe that's the number you're looking for.:beer:

Nice! Thanks for the pics. That K080740 Gates belt is a 74" belt and the Cobra Bob belt guide is calling for the 73.75" -- can't imagine that .25" making that big a difference, but still, do you have any slip with that belt? Also, where in the tensioner's range is the tensioner located? Half way between the stops, closer to the left or right stop? If it's not close to the right tensioner stop that supplies even more tension, I'm thinking the K080733HD might still be the way to go. Slightly smaller belt will provide slightly increased torque, and the HD version will grip better from what I've read. Unless anyone can refute that line of thinking, I'll run with it.

Last edited:

MysticRob

Established Member
Oh, I should add that I discovered Gates manufactures belts for a variety of different 'manufacturers' who simply rebrand the belts, AC Delco being one of them, along with stores like Napa, etc.

SpectorV

Established Member
you may end up with belt slip with out the extra idler (that if you use it the cage wont fit without modification and if its modified its obvious you have an idler then you have a pulley as well)

Users who are viewing this thread