20-30 degree weather..

illness

Established Member
how come it seems the Ls are so prone to blowing when u got WOT in the cold and mine will do it time and time again with no side effects??

SVT Wylde

The Accountant
Established Member
illness said:
how come it seems the Ls are so prone to blowing when u got WOT in the cold and mine will do it time and time again with no side effects??

Because people boost these engines to within an inch of their lives while running a very aggressive tune. In cooler temps that will make a motor go boom.

You can run a stock Lightning hard in these conditions with no trouble. :thumbsup: (ask me how I know...lol)

bmfgsxr

Established Member
if you have the proper supporting mods and are tuned for the temps you can have at it.. but most people arent tuned properly for weather this cold.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
also they never got some sort of MAF extender or SCT upgrade. They might have a safe tune, but max out the MAF, the computer pulls timing, and then KABOOM.

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
FleeMan said:
also they never got some sort of MAF extender or SCT upgrade. They might have a safe tune, but max out the MAF, the computer pulls timing, and then KABOOM.

I know I've read this alot, but my tuner (same city) says I don't need it and I can go WOT whenever I want. It's been right at 30* when I get out of work and I've been afraid to get too far into the boost until just recently. I still haven't gone WOT or let it kick down, but cruising about 70 I gave it enough throttle to get about 11 lbs of boost and stay in the same gear and it pulled up to 120MPH like MAD.

He showed me in his SCT software and on his wideband where the voltage was in the MAF and it still had lots of room to play with. I can't remember exactly right now, but it was alot and it was about 50 degrees out when we tuned it.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
MachineAddict said:
I know I've read this alot, but my tuner (same city) says I don't need it and I can go WOT whenever I want. It's been right at 30* when I get out of work and I've been afraid to get too far into the boost until just recently. I still haven't gone WOT or let it kick down, but cruising about 70 I gave it enough throttle to get about 11 lbs of boost and stay in the same gear and it pulled up to 120MPH like MAD.

He showed me in his SCT software and on his wideband where the voltage was in the MAF and it still had lots of room to play with. I can't remember exactly right now, but it was alot and it was about 50 degrees out when we tuned it.
Is your tuner going to rebuild you engine if it blows? Anyone running more than stock boost in cold weather needs a MAF extender. Don't believe me keep reading the threads this winter and see who blows up. Most of them don't have a MAF extender.

Last edited:

MikeW

Established Member
Thunderbolt is right. The only way anyone would need a "seasonal tune" is if they are close to pegging their Maf, maf transfer function is not correct, or there fuel system is not adequate. No need for Seasonal tunes these days.

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
THUNDER BOLT said:
Is your tuner going to rebuild you engine if it blows? Anyone running more than stock boost in cold weather needs a MAF extender. Don't believe me keep reading the threads this winter and see who blows up. Most of them don't have a MAF extender.

I've read the threads, but I've also seen his readings. I plan on getting something soon, and until then to assure I'm safe I don't go WOT in any temps less than 50* or so.

My tuner said the same thing...."if tuned properly there's no need to have multiple tunes for different weather".

His name is Joe Lynch, he's got a turbo Cobra in the 8's....this guy knows his stuff. He's got a few Mustang videos out I believe. I was thrilled to find out he was in the same city. Turns out alot of gearheads live out here, and fairly popular ones. NOS flew this one guy (can't remember his name) from here out to their headquarters so he could help them build their new systems. Lots of knowledgeable people out here willing to help.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
I don't have cold weather issues. But from the countless cold weather blown motor post's I've seen, I wouldn't dare go WOT in cold weather without a MAF extender or personally I would just buy the SCT Big Air MAF

fullboogie

Established Member
This has been covered to death. JJ at WMS had a lengthy post about MAF counts in cold weather being the cause of vented blocks. In short, even a 4 lb pulley can cause a pegged meter in cold weather. Last spring I did a ton of datalogging at the track, and was within 19 counts of being pegged - in 65 degree weather. Kinda scary since I only have a 4 lb pulley. You guys really need to log those MAF counts before blasting around in the cold weather.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
fullboogie said:
This has been covered to death. JJ at WMS had a lengthy post about MAF counts in cold weather being the cause of vented blocks. In short, even a 4 lb pulley can cause a pegged meter in cold weather. Last spring I did a ton of datalogging at the track, and was within 19 counts of being pegged - in 65 degree weather. Kinda scary since I only have a 4 lb pulley. You guys really need to log those MAF counts before blasting around in the cold weather.
Isn't that the truth.

WhiteLight01

Established Member
Here, we wear shorts in 90 degree weather on monday and on friday
we have 30 degree temps and have to wear coveralls out!!!!
Thats why I am holding up from adding my goodies on for now, I think
I would wear a programmer out going from cold to hot tunes so much during this time of year...

Users who are viewing this thread