200 mph TPMS Sensors?

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I was reading an article about the 2013 to 2014 GT500s. One of the upgrades were the TPMS sensors. Ford only certifies the earlier year model's TPMS sensors to 155mph.

Has anybody out there considered the differences, and do you know if you can retrofit the higher-rated 2013/14 sensors into the stock 2012 and under, 19in rims?

Thanks!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I took the 2012 versions to 185 mph (Texas Mile) and nothing catastrophic happened.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
I looked into this when I got my new wheels. There are TPMS with metal valve stems like the 13/14 which can go higher than 155 but not sure about 200.
The rubber valve stem will eventually rupture if you're doing sustained high speeds and honestly for 50 bucks I'd gladly upgrade. I believe the 13/14 are more expensive and it seems not always in stock.
Ford Mustang Huf IntelliSens TPMS Sensor Set 9L3Z-1A-189A 315MHz (Black Valve Stem) >> model year matters for reprogramming.

einehund

Established Member
I have torn multiple rubber valve stems doing high speed runs on the Autobahn. I would switch to metal valve stems in a heartbeat if i was still in Germany or doing lots of high speed runs.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Einehund, that's shockingly scary! I think I've seen your runs on YouTube, very nice

My logic behind this, is I will never get anywhere near 200, but 150, now and then, yes. When buying tires, I want the highest speed rated tire, as they are built stronger and have an extra margin of safety built in, even though I would never get to their Vmax.

Same thing with the valve stems / TPMS sensors. Mine are 10 years old now, and I don't trust them. I read Bonneville outlaws TPMS sensors, over 130mph? Back in the past, I would always request new valve stems, with every new tire mounting. These sensors seem to encourage bad unsafe behavior, as they are expensive to replace. Typical of most government over reaching programs, the have unintended negative consequences. If I could, minus the idiot light, I would use a regular metal stem. Also, I'm running 20" rims which adds one more inch to the orbit they take, compared to the 19 inch stock rims. Maybe this reduces their 155mph rating to 145?

I would be interested in any recommended non TPMS stems, that other high speed drivers use in their GT500s. Does running with TPMS light on trigger any fail safe mode of traction control, stability control, or ABS systems?

I know this may seem trivial, or a "best headlight fluid" thread, but I take this seriously.

Thanks!

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I looked into this when I got my new wheels. There are TPMS with metal valve stems like the 13/14 which can go higher than 155 but not sure about 200.
The rubber valve stem will eventually rupture if you're doing sustained high speeds and honestly for 50 bucks I'd gladly upgrade. I believe the 13/14 are more expensive and it seems not always in stock.
Ford Mustang Huf IntelliSens TPMS Sensor Set 9L3Z-1A-189A 315MHz (Black Valve Stem) >> model year matters for reprogramming.
Thanks for the link. Where does it claim their speed rating? Thanks again!

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Thanks for the link. Where does it claim their speed rating? Thanks again!
It does not have a rated speed, but back then I chased part numbers and concluded these were replacement for the 13/14 ones. I also asked around and the consensus was metal valve stems can go higher but no concrete numbers.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I thought the 2013/14 GT500 had 200mph bolt together valve stems, not 200mph TPMS sensors? I installed a set of the 2013/14 stems in a set of Alcoa's a few months ago. I will add some pictures of those stems when I find them. I also had a set of Black and also Silver aftermarket bolt together alum. valve stems that I compared at that time. The 2013/14 GT500 TPMS sensors appeared more rugged and were also heavier than the alum. bolt together stems, bu all of them seemed like they would not be an issue at higher speeds? The 2013/14 stems required a 75in. lb. torque spec. and if I remember correctly, the bolt together alum. stems were like 30in. lbs.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Here is a side-by-side comparo between the 2013/14 GT500 stem on left and two alum. bolt together valve stems center and right...............I believe the stem on the right was installed in a Black Alcoa that was originally installed on a 2011 Super Snake by Shelby. The stem in the middle was something I bought.....

002.jpg

By the color and the heavier weight, I believe the 2013/14 stem is stainless, not aluminum. Also note the difference in the seal area on these two stems below. The reason why the 2013/14 stem can be torqued to 75in. lbs. is because there is a "stop" area that sticks up around the rubber seal and keeps the seal contained, the alum. stem has no stop and at some point the rubber seal would "squish out" for lack of a better description while being torqued.

003.jpg

The link in the post above look more like the valve stems on the center and right in my pictures, not the 2013/14, however, those stems may be the "non-Ford replacement" for the 2013/14 GT500, but they do not appear to be as robust, not saying that they couldn't go 200mph....

Plastic valve stem caps are usually indicators of "cheaper" construction or "shortcuts" to keep cost down.

R

Last edited:

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Is there a place to get the OEM valve stems? I would like them for piece of mind. I've looked but can't seem to find them.
Search for them at Tasca or autonation. I believe lethal performance have them too.
The ones I linked are not the 13//14, but are replacements for them, they are all Al including the cap and need to be torqued down but forgot the numbers. The torque sepc depends on the material, its not the more you torqued it the safer it is.

The fundamental issue here is that at higher speeds the rotation of the tire increases the rotational inertia of the valve stem, just like you're swinging a rock the faster the swing the heaver it feels. And the stronger the rope needs to be. But this depends on the "static" weight of the valve stem in the first place, so lighter Al valve stems don't need to be torqued as high as SS valve stems.

You'll never go near 200mph, and if you are you shouldn't have TPMS in the first place. Either one would be ok.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Is there a place to get the OEM valve stems? I would like them for piece of mind. I've looked but can't seem to find them.

Below is the correct part number for the 2013/14 GT500, the stems include the TPMS sensors and are not available separately, but be prepared for "sticker shock", you will have $200 + or - (usually +) in a set of four.......A couple of years ago I stumbled across these stems for $35ea. so I grabbed a set.....

001.jpg

...........but in reality, the aftermarket alum. stems and sensors are $150ish, so for a few dollars more you get the stems that the Ford/SVT Engeineers felt were up to the 200mph task......

I will NEVER be anywhere near 200mph, not even 150mph, but I like the quality and the look of those 2013/14 stems in my Durabright Alcoa's. I use the stems only in my Durabrights, along with the band type TPMS sensors. I used the 2013/14 TPMS sensors in my Black Alcoa's. <<<That also verifies that a 2013/14 TPMS sensor can be used, and works on the earlier TPMS system, 2008 in my case.

R

Last edited:

mdoan

Established Member
So I found two different part numbers listed for those valve stems with sensors. The first linked part # is listed for the 13/14 Shelby, but also the GT and base V6; there is no picture but the black&white looks like it may be rubber. The second link is listed to fit only the 13/14 Shelby (no other 13/14 mustang models), 16/17/18 Focus RS, and 14/15 Transit; however it includes a photo and looks to be the correct version since it matches Robert M's photos.

2013-2014 Ford Mustang TPMS Sensor DR3Z-1A189-A | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

2013-2018 Ford Tire Pressure Monitoring System Sensor Valve Assembly DR3Z-1700-C | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
So I found two different part numbers listed for those valve stems with sensors. The first linked part # is listed for the 13/14 Shelby, but also the GT and base V6; there is no picture but the black&white looks like it may be rubber. The second link is listed to fit only the 13/14 Shelby (no other 13/14 mustang models), 16/17/18 Focus RS, and 14/15 Transit; however it includes a photo and looks to be the correct version since it matches Robert M's photos.

2013-2014 Ford Mustang TPMS Sensor DR3Z-1A189-A | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

2013-2018 Ford Tire Pressure Monitoring System Sensor Valve Assembly DR3Z-1700-C | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

I know the first part number/link fits and they were the original part number for the 2013, Ford may have updated A part number. I would guess those DR3Z-1A stems will also fit the Mustang GT and V6 stem holes......The 2013/14 GT500 never had a rubber stem, so the picture may be a representation and not actual.

The DR3Z-1A stem is short, I wonder if the DR3Z-1700 is a longer stem, but of the same design?

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I looked closer at the DR3Z-1700 picture(s), especially the side view (3rd picture down), they do not have the stop that captures/containes the seal like the original DR3Z-1A that I showed in my pictures, they would be limited to a lower torque spec. because the seal would be pressed out under higher torque settings, just like the alum. stems that I showed in my pictures.

****If that DR3Z-1700 is an "actual" picture, which it appears to be.....

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Here is a picture of the DR3Z-1A stem oriented like the dealer parts picture of the DR3Z-1700..........

003.jpg

^^^Note at the top and bottom there is an area that captures the seal, I do not see that same design in the DR3Z-1700 picture, it may be a stainless stem like the DR3Z-1A, but the seal would not stay in place with a torque anywhere near 75in. lbs., like the DR3Z-1A. <<<That is my guess since I have installed bolt together TPMS stems of both designs....

Also compare my picture above to the dealership parts pictures of the DR3Z-1700. The washer installed below the TPMS nut - The DR3Z-1A is stainless (shown to the right/lower in my picture), the washer in the dealer parts picture appears to be a Plastic or Teflon washer. I have seen that type of washer on some of the aftermarket TPMS stems. That plastic/Teflon washer will also not sustain any sort of torque specs like the stainless washer.

I have NEVER examined bolt together valve stems so closely!!!

R

Last edited:

mdoan

Established Member
Haha, well we certainly appreciate it. As I'm sure has been said many times before, if dealerships didn't have a monopoly on their products they'd be out of business... it should not be this difficult to correctly identify a part they manufacture/source themselves. Sadly calling them rarely helps either.

I think you are right actually, but regarding the metal stop, isn't it shown in the 3rd dealership photo? On the top side of the stem, you can barely make out the section where the metal stop recesses and reveals more of the seal from the side view, like yours. If that's the case, that non-stainless washer is literally the only difference I can see between the two. Talk about splitting hairs. Like you say though, it is probably necessary to handle the 75 in-lb, and thus critically important.

Once the washer piqued my interest, I looked more closely and noticed the "Description" section, which I rarely see filled out or accurate and typically breeze right past to the vehicle fitment list.

For DR3Z-1A189-A, the description states "With shelby GT 500. Mustang."
For DR3Z-1700-C, the description states "With rs. Incl.Cap,Nut and Screw."

I think it's fair to say the black&white "depiction" of DR3Z-1A189-A is clearly a rubber stem with a plastic cap and no visible way to assemble/disassemble. The black&white from 1700 is much closer to the real thing and should've been used for both part #'s.

Thank you very much for helping to clear this up. I'm sick of looking at my TPMS light and will probably bite the bullet on these shortly if someone else doesn't. I think you've provided plenty of evidence but another round of verification never hurts.

Thanks R!

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Haha, well we certainly appreciate it. As I'm sure has been said many times before, if dealerships didn't have a monopoly on their products they'd be out of business... it should not be this difficult to correctly identify a part they manufacture/source themselves. Sadly calling them rarely helps either.

I think you are right actually, but regarding the metal stop, isn't it shown in the 3rd dealership photo? On the top side of the stem, you can barely make out the section where the metal stop recesses and reveals more of the seal from the side view, like yours.

If that's the case, that non-stainless washer is literally the only difference I can see between the two. Talk about splitting hairs. Like you say though, it is necessary to handle the 75 in-lb, and thus critically important. Once the washer piqued my interest, I looked more closely and noticed the "Description" section, which I rarely see filled out or accurate and typically breeze right past to the vehicle fitment list.

For DR3Z-1A189-A, the description states "With shelby GT 500. Mustang."
For DR3Z-1700-C, the description states "With rs. Incl.Cap,Nut and Screw."

I think it's fair to say the black&white "depiction" of DR3Z-1A189-A is clearly a rubber stem with a plastic cap and no visible way to assemble/disassemble. The black&white from 1700 is much closer to the real thing.

Thank you very much for helping to clear this up. I'm sick of looking at my TPMS light and will probably bite the bullet on these shortly if someone else doesn't. I think you've provided plenty of evidence but another round of verification never hurts.

Thanks R!

You're welcome.

I still don't see a clear step or stop that mostly surrounds the seal on the DR3Z-1700.

Many of those dealership parts photo's do say that "The part shown in the diagram is for representation and not the actual part, refer to the application chart for actual part number", so many times the part pictured is generic.

I would like to have a DR3Z-1700 here, while I have the DR3Z-1A out and not currently installed in an Alcoa, just for a stare and compare. I would also like to compare stem length's, I like a shorter stem that looks good, but blends in, I have a feeling a stem for a Transit Van is not short......but I could be wrong.

R

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
It has been a while, but I would like to update this thread.

I ended up buying 2013 GT500 TPMS senors for my 2010 this summer. I took a chance on them working, but all the information I gathered, said they should work. They installed and synched perfectly. After looking at the 2010 and 2013 sensors, I can say the only difference is the valve stem. The sensors are identical in shape and construction.

I really like the appearance and durability they provide. I have these mounted in the factory 19" rims. I even bought the cheapest TPMS sync tool on Amazon, and it worked. Link is below. I have included some pictures of both sensors. I would like to thank Robert M for all of his help in this. Honestly, without his guidance, I would not have pursued this. I would also like to thank Vinnie B. for his help as well.

TPMS Syncing Tool:

Attachments

• IMG_2438c.JPG
    IMG_2438c.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2759b.JPG
    IMG_2759b.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2433b.JPG
    IMG_2433b.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2761b.JPG