2000 Cobra R on Barrett-Jackson

Cobra-R

Established Member
Was searching the cars for B-J auction in Vagas on Oct-7 and found this 00 R..

2000 FORD MUSTANG COBRA "R"

Normally I would put this in the For sale thread, but as far as I know this is a first and figured it would be interesting to alot of you.

I will be at the auction and will make a point of watching it sell, in case it is not on TV.

Brian

DAVESVT2000

Established Member

I saw this car on display at the Woodward Dream Cruise last month...

NiagraFalls-Woodward-MISRace2009196.gif

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Is Ford the seller?

Tom

Tom,

Private owner with less than 100 original miles. Should bring good money as the BJ auctions are a universe onto themselves. Everything from the lighting, free food and drinks for registered bidders to the background sounds are all there to entice you to feel relaxed and kept off balance/guard all at the same time. This, along with the TV cameras makes for some interesting bidding. Also, as a registered on premise bidder, they know where you are, what you are looking at and who has served you what at all times. They have it down to a real art, they really do.

Bill S.

Bill S.

Last edited:

steve121

Established Member
I saw this ad for B-J in Las Vegas yesterday on Speed TV featuring the Cobra R. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Zbk-knfbM"]YouTube - Barrett-Jackson Las Vegas 2009 SpeedTV Lot Spots[/ame]

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
We were watching the BJ auction last night and saw the commercial for the Vegas auction. It was surprising to see a Cobra R in the commercial! Curious what it will go for, too.

Last edited:

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
You can rest assured it will go for more than it's worth! :rollseyes

;-):poke::p

Do you still own your 2000 R?
I love those cars. Since I couldn't lay my hands on one inspired me to purchase a 2004 Cobra.
Makes my ball hairs stand straight-up. Amazing for a 54 year old man Bruce.
Jeff

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Do you still own your 2000 R?
I love those cars. Since I couldn't lay my hands on one inspired me to purchase a 2004 Cobra.
Makes my ball hairs stand straight-up. Amazing for a 54 year old man Bruce.
Jeff

Yep, still have the R. It's been dormant most of the season though. :cryying: Hope to have it running again soon though!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Cobra-R

Established Member
You can rest assured it will go for more than it's worth! :rollseyes

;-):poke::p

I am really curious how this so called "market" will judge the 00R. Will it appreciate the car for being a limited edition Ford built "race" car (a high price) or will it see it as just another Mustang that was obsoleted by the S197, 500 hp Shelby Mustangs(thus bringing a normal or low price)??

Maybe we should all post guesses on what the cars bring??? My guess: 45,000 for #296 and 55,000 for #2.

#2 should sell while the TV cameras are on, which throws in a unknown factor that should inflate the price. I would love to see one car sell before they go live on Speed and the other after to see how they differ.

Brian

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I don't think the classic/muscle car auctions are the place to sell latemodel "collectables" unless the money is going to a charity. IMO I dont think the cars will bring much more than the "normal" market price even with all the glitz, glammer & alcohol.... then the seller & buyer will each be paying a 10% commission on that value.

My guess:

#2 will bring $60K because its gonna be the first '00R available to the public ever... #1 will always reside with Ford

#296 will bring $52k because of its mileage & wrapper condition

Would have been cool if the '00R would have been #300 instead of #296..... that would be neat to have the first & last publicly available cars in the same collection.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
I don't think the classic/muscle car auctions are the place to sell latemodel "collectables" unless the money is going to a charity. IMO I dont think the cars will bring much more than the "normal" market price even with all the glitz, glammer & alcohol.... then the seller & buyer will each be paying a 10% commission on that value.

My guess:

#2 will bring $60K because its gonna be the first '00R available to the public ever... #1 will always reside with Ford

#296 will bring $52k because of its mileage & wrapper condition

Would have been cool if the '00R would have been #300 instead of #296..... that would be neat to have the first & last publicly available cars in the same collection.

That's the major issue I have with BJ. Acohol and ego rule.

Still if some conehead wants to pay x3 the amount fine. The seller goes home with a bigass smile.

In the past few weeks I've counted 3 more trashed Terminators. And, the guys who chop a great car to death trying to break 10's in 1/4 mile. I give-up. Trashing these cars are sacrilegious in my eyes. The only other thing that gets my goat is dickheads who throw a LSx in a perfectly good Ford. Die in Hell... That's all that matters to me personally.
I never read the, "Hey, check-out this Cobra with a LSX." I fart in your general direction.

The only real '03, '04 has a Tremec T-56 with independent rear suspension and will stay that way.

Talk to me in ten years.

Cobra-R

Established Member
That's the major issue I have with BJ. Acohol and ego rule.

Still if some conehead wants to pay x3 the amount fine. The seller goes home with a bigass smile..

I have friends that have brought cars to BJ in hopes of cashing in on the "BJ tax" (my take on what bj does) and each of them have come away very unhappy, seems that some of the buyers know what they are bidding on.

Brian

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Brian:

I think Daryl's guess is a little closer to what they will go for if not more?

My guess:

#2 $65k-$70K
#296 $55k

That is if both cars are quality wrappers. I have not investigated the cars.

These cars are going for the neighborhood of $40-45k on the open market now, aren't they?

Just my SWAG.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Cobra-R

Established Member
One thing, lets make our price guesses (estimates) on bid or hammer price, not price plus comission.

You very well could be right, bruce...........actually I hope you are. We will know in 9 days.

Brian

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I don't see it. The muscle car/street rod guys aren't going to be bidding on an 00R. The bidders are going to be dealers looking to flip it for a profit. They know the market and they have to have room to resell, pay bidder fees and transport.

#2 = $52,000
#296 = $48,000

Just my $.02!

Tom

Philcsag1

Established Member
False Value

The BJ auctions have given many owners a false value to the vehicles they own.

I have seen this with the 1960's Shelby owners in my local club, they see a concourse restored car go foe $xxx,xxx and think their 5 out of 10 car is in the same class and is worth the same money.

I think the under 100 mile 2000 R will bring between 95% to 105% of original window sticker

Which is around $56,000

But today you need about $70,000 to buy the same amount of goods you did in 2000 for $56K

Add the cost of storage maintenance and insurance ...... this is not profitable

bearsnake

Established Member
My guess : #2 =$65,000.00 and #296=$60,000.00 Who knows with BJ money? Both cars could go to the same buyer :shrug:

Last edited:

bearsnake

Established Member
My guess : #2 =$65,000.00 and #296=$60,000.00 Who knows with BJ money? Both cars could go to the same buyer :shrug:

I changed my mind, #2 ? miles, with a repaint = $55,000.00 #296 wrapper under 100 miles =$60,000.00 + ? My .02 :pop:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread