2000 Cobra R Vortech install progress

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Reviving this thread....

Would really love to see some vids of these SC R's.

Bill Anderson

Established Member
Still tuning on it...so far so good, working out smoothing out the idle when cold with the 80lb injectors, working out some boost leak issues...(bad bypass valve from vortech, moved the iac intake from the cold air pipe to the discharge pipe and installed check valves in all of the vacuum lines including the pcv.) was expecting around 20lbs of boost @ 6800, could only muster up 11.6...still made 703rwhp on vp ms106 gas. target was 800, but if the boost numbers come in where I originally expected, it may make a little more...703 with only 11lbs is not bad :)...car passed emissions test too.

funny, those are the exact numbers the turbo R made..703 with 11lbs of boost

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Post those numbers in the Terminator section to piss off a bunch of peeps that need 25+
lbs of twin screw boost to reach 700! Congrats! And is it something as simple as changing the Bypass to achieve 20? It was leaking that much boost?

Last edited:

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
I need to see some videos or I am going to go crazy, I keep coming back to this thread for that.

Bill Anderson

Established Member
Post those numbers in the Terminator section to piss off a bunch of peeps that need 25+
lbs of twin screw boost to reach 700! Congrats! And is it something as simple as changing the Bypass to achieve 20? It was leaking that much boost?

lol....well, being new to forced induction, that was the 1st place I thought to look after re-checking the discharge piping...I took the valve off and bench tested it by re-setting the spring adjustment per vortech and applying 12 lbs of air to the vacuum nipple as well as the flange side of the valve and it leaked air right away. Also, I had followed vortech's instructions about where the iac intake hose should be connected, which they show it going to the cold air pipe, (paxton and procharger have theirs going to the discharge side right before the tb) if the iac does not seal completely at wot, that would be another source of a good leak, plus I neglected to either change out the pcv or install a check valve, the stock pcv does not seal very well under boost either. So I am guessing with all of these things combined, that is a substantial loss. I am running a std diameter 8 rib balancer with a 2.70 pulley on the compressor. belt bite on the pulley is good, no apparent slippage. Dyno sheet has it hitting 11.6 lbs of boost and it stays there all the way to 6800, so that tells me that there is no belt slip but pressure is bleeding off or the intercooler is very restrictive. With that pulley combo, I should be seeing around 22lbs before the intercooler, if the vortech charts are accurate.

will probably plumb a 2nd pressure gauge before the intercooler to see what the loss actually is....

on a side note, staying returnless worked out great, the computer is managing the pumps flawlessly, just a matter of getting the maps dialed in... and there is more than enough fuel available..When I saw the ford gt guys getting 1200+ out of their cars on a stock fuel system, I was sure it could be done here to.

after all this is done will post all of the dyno sheets and a howto if anyone else want to do this...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread