2000 Cobra R - where are the builds

comprepsvo

Established Member
It starts up every time for me. It does not like to be started and shutdown without warming up. But when it does, I put the pedal to the floor like you do any EFI Ford product and then starts with first turn of the key.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
In 2004 the original owner of # 33 filed a lawsuit against Ford Motor Company. He had bought it new and had a problem with the car running in the winter of 2003. He called SVT and they sent a Ford Tech to check the car out. The Tech downloaded a new program into the computer to make sure there were no problems for the car to un in cold weather. The following year, the Owner complained again that the car would not run in cold weather and it would die. In the State of North Carolina, they require a Factory Warranty on every new car sold. Even though the 00 R had a no warranty explanation from Ford. The Owner hired a lawyer and sued for the purchase price of the car, $65000. The Suit went to the State Court with Ford sending in an airplane load of lawyers for the hearing. The Judge presiding over the case, after arguments from both sides decided to see if an agreement could be reached before he made a decision. The two sides went out in the hallway and agreed to an agreement. Ford Motor Company would pay the Owner the sticker price and take the car. The Owner agreed and the rest is History. Ford called an Exotic Motor Car dealership in Macon, Georgia and asked if they would like to buy another car from them. A Ford Buy Back Car. They agreed, they paid and received the car. The car had around 2700 miles on it. I found the car, one week after they received it and purchased it from them! One of the best days in my life, when I went and drove that car home. All of this was told to me by a Ford SVT, 2000 R Team Member at VIR in 2006.

I’m curious with it being a Ford Buy back - when you bought it back then, were you aware it was in fact a Buy Back and did you have to sign any additional paperwork at time of sale? If the VIN is run in OASIS, does it note that it was in fact a Buy Back?

comprepsvo

Established Member
Yes at the time I bought it, the dealer told me it was a buy back, I did not all of the details until I met one of the SVT Team Members who knew all of the history of the entire event. No additonal paperwork, except there is a decal on the rear view mirror that shows that the computer was reflashed.

2015 cvo

Established Member
I am doing some research to see how many 2000 Cobra R's still out there, and have not been wrecked. If you own one or know someone who does, could you please let me know what build number you have. We are the proud owners of build #10 and have owed since day one when bought off the lot in Daluth Georgia. We have kept it in mint condition and only 27 miles on the car!
I am looking for car #214. I used to own it and just recently found paper work for this car that goes back to the original recipt for the car when it was new. There are several other papers for it also. Please let me know if there is any information on the current owner. Thank you. Good luck with the research

TFStang

Established Member
Very cool that you are willing to pass this paperwork along, but why didn’t you give it to the Buyer when they purchased the car initially?

2015 cvo

Established Member
Very cool that you are willing to pass this paperwork along, but why didn’t you give it to the Buyer when they purchased the car initially?
Was going through boxes that have been in the attic for some time and found it and wanted to get it to the owner of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread