2000 Honda Accord ECM question

JasonSnake

Established Member
Before I go to a Honda forum, I was wondering if someone here could answer my question.

My landlady's 2000 V6 4-door Accord's engine no longer turns over but it does crank. I noticed in the gauges that the green key light (after researching) is blinking continuously leading me to believe that the car is not recognizing the chip in the key anymore.

She had the car towed to a couple of shops and they've told her it would be over $800 to fix. So the car was towed back home. She's not able to afford all the diagnostics/repairs, especially since she's a female which naturally shops want to take advantage of.

My question here is, can I take the car's computer and have a tuner remove the security feature so it can ignore the chip in the key, like some of us do to remove PATS from our cars' ECM? I don't know a single thing about Honda's.:read:

mrlrd1

Established Member
Turning over = cranking. If the starter engages and the engine spins but does not start, that IS turning over. It sounds like it does turn over, but does not start. Semantics is EVERYTHING in automotive diagnosis, especially over the internet.

You have an Immobilizer problem. Have any repairs been made lately? What's involved in the $800 repair?

Any scanner capable of reflashing (reprogramming modules) should be able to diagnose and program the Immobilizer. There's only 4 parts to the system: the key, the antenna (ring around the lock cylinder), the wiring, and the PCM. PCM's rarely fail - usually it's a key or antenna, neither are that expensive to repair/replace.

Have you looked into a bypass?

JasonSnake

Established Member
Hey man, thanks for replying. I was able to get it working for her for - zero - dollars. I found a simple security system reset procedure which allowed the engine to start without a hitch. Took me a while after Googling around for an hour.

How to Reset My Honda Accord Anti-Theft After Changing a Battery | eHow

edit: car had not been worked on at all, at least for several months. She did say that her battery was changed in August I believe, but the car was running fine until last weekend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread