2001 Cobra Motor with a P1-SC procharger ''Running hot?''

amxdriver73

So i have just recently got my 98 GT Mustang running with a built 2001 Cobra Motor with a P1-SC Procharger. I have put 500 miles on it and everything was looking ok . But one morning I noticed that it was running on the hi end of the normal gauge. I took some readings of it and it is only hot at the temp sensor on the crossover tube and a little passed thank cools off by the time it get to the lower sensor where most cobras are located at the bottom. That crossover tube was modified due to the procharger . So i have been trying to isolate the reason why its running hot . It has a new fluidyne radiator so i have been making sure that all the air is out and bought a new radiator cap and stopped it from leaking a little fluid. The electric fast turn on at 180 and will kick on to the high speed and the SCT tuner read the same as my reading. I haven't done anything with the thermostat its a 190 deg . Also I took some reading of of on other 99' cobra motor and all of my reading where really close it was just 12 deg. Hotter at the top of my crossover tube. Maybe it is me crossover tube causing it to run hot? The location of my stock gauge and need to relocate a new aftermarket gauge? . I am just being careful with the car. Thanks for any help!!!
1700032_zpsac4269d3.jpg

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Two issues. First, there is no point in setting the fans at 180 and have a 190 thermostat. The fans will just run all the time. You either need to run a cooler thermostat or set the fans to a higher temp. Second, I can guarantee you have an air bubble. There's a reason the stock crossover has a plug in the top. It's the high point in the system. That's why you top off at the cross over. You need to put a plug in the top of your crossover or get a Procharger crossover.

2001cobravert

Established Member
I can guarantee you have an air bubble. There's a reason the stock crossover has a plug in the top. It's the high point in the system. That's why you top off at the cross over. You need to put a plug in the top of your crossover or get a Procharger crossover.

This.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I agree on the bubble. After I did my eaton swap I had a similar problem. I'd bleed the system real good and a couple of weeks later an air bubble would show up again. Turns out the stock hose clamps they are two for the crossover that are very similar in size. I had extras and used one for the upper radiator hose that was just a hair to big. Once the car got hot it would sometimes let air into the system or some coolant out. Replaced it with the right clamp and no problems since.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
You'll be forever chasing air bubbles if you don't have a cap in that crossover tube to properly bleed the system, as others have said.

Users who are viewing this thread