2001 cobra ticking..

ThtSVTguy

Established Member
first post ever on here!

So on friday i picked up a high mileage 2001 cobra for a little under 5K, drove 4 hours perfectly fine but i have a handful of issues i need help resolving, it has a tick when the engine starts but goes away after. However, whenever i am driving and i get roughly 2300RPM the tick comes back, but goes away under heavy acceleration, also hangs around when changing gears. from my own inspection it sounds like its coming from the front near the belt tensioner, but want to address all areas that could possibly be a reason to narrow down and fix. I'm new to these cars still, better yet to diagnosing problems or explaining them well. thank you guys for any input or advice.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
My 01 went through camshaft chain guides/tensioners twice in the time I had it so that could be it. Made a nasty tick; the chain would hit the valve cover and/or chain cover on the front of the block. When they went "full bad" it actually pulled one of the cams out of the journal and ended up breaking a valve cover. Cheapest thing (if that really is your issue) would be to replace the POS plastic cam chain guide/tensioner with a higher quality piece. I replaced mine the first time with stock stuff and it ended up happening again. IIRC, mmr makes/made a higher quality metal piece

Whether those are bad or not, just coyote swap it, send boost, and never look back

Posts and likes are not mine.

ThtSVTguy

Established Member
Welcome. Any metal in the oil?
thanks for the welcome! And none whatsoever, I just drained it today and look pretty good, The previous owner put new timing chains in but kept old guides in, could a bad tensioner also cause that tick sound since it goes under stress when you press the gas?

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Is the sound in time with the engine as it speeds up and slows down, or is it sporadic? Can it be heard at idle? Have you looked at the plugs yet?

ThtSVTguy

Established Member
Is the sound in time with the engine as it speeds up and slows down, or is it sporadic? Can it be heard at idle? Have you looked at the plugs yet?
It’s in time with engine but as I said it’s only past 2000rmp and goes away after 2300rpm, it can be heard at start up, and shifting gears , I have not looked at plugs yet!

Users who are viewing this thread