2001 SVT Cobra - Cheapest way to gain horsepower naturally aspirated

Jamchin

Established Member
Hello all. I am new to this forum.

I just purchased a 2001 SVT Cobra Convertible. I don't plan on putting on a turbo or supercharger, I just want to do everything naturally aspirated. My goals are to have about 400hp at the crank (which probably translates to around 340 to 350hp at wheels?). My father and I have worked on his 1988 Mustang before (cams, intake manifold, throttle body, full exhaust, ECU upgrade and flash), and it was dyno'd at 260rwhp. Back in the day, that was a lot...now minivans have that kind of power haha. I am not a complete beginner when it comes to car modifications and understanding basic principles. My dad's 88' mustang sounded amazing and really gave you that feel of a "muscle car". I want the same kind of thing with my 2001 Cobra - sound and performance, but can be driven on the weekends!

I would love to hear about:
-combination of parts
-costs
-dyno numbers
-rideability
-reliability
-anything else you can think of!

Thanks a lot guys!

shurur

Established Member
This is what I call the NASVT recipe.
It is a list of na mods recommended by na svt from various threads. Na svt graciously fixed it for me.

There you go....$3500+..your labor.

NASVT fixed!!!
NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

360-370 RWHP:
106100/106060 comp cams properly degreed.
short runner.
Tune

Last edited:

Jamchin

Established Member
Hey Shurur,

1. March Damper
-Do you know what the OEM underdrive pulley diameter size is?
-What is the diameter of the March Damper? I googled it and there seems to be different types for different models.

2. Hydraboost or Hydroboost?
-I tried googling this one...What is this? A booster pump to increase pressure for the brake system?
-How will this increase HP?

3. March WP Pulleys
-I am guessing WP means WATER PUMP. Is this water pump pulley smaller or bigger in size? What is the OEM water pump pulley size (I suppose I could measure it mysef haha)?

4. Long Tubes
-What name brand long tubes produce the most power?
-Can the install be done at home? What major components need to be removed to install LTs? Basically how hard is it?

5. Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
-What name brand Hi Flow Cats give you the most power?
-What exactly is a "cat delete mid pipe"? Does that mean there is no catalytic converter? If that is the case, it will never pass emissions and that's a problem.

6. Tune
-Who did your tune?
-What did the tune consist of?
-Did you have to tell them what you had done to the car so that they could do the tune?
-Roughly how much did it cost?

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
2. Hydraboost or Hydroboost?
-I tried googling this one...What is this? A booster pump to increase pressure for the brake system?
-How will this increase HP?

He is referring to the hydroboost pump pulley.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Full exhaust including lt's, an intake, udp's and a tune would get you close to 330rwhp. After that you're talking about some type of FI. Unless of course you want to get different cams and get into head work which can be costly.

When it comes to exhaust you're mainly shopping for the sound you want as they will all produce about the same power. If you're a baller and can afford Kooks headers and a midpipe then go for it. If not, bbk, mac etc will be fine.

If you live somewhere they don't do emissions and they won't look under your car then no cats is fine as long as you either have the rear o2 sensors turned off or buy the mil eliminators or whatever they're called.

As far as a tune, find a shop that tunes mustangs and give them a call. Tell them what car you have and what mods and they'll make you an appointment. I would look into a sct handheld tuner to give to whoever tunes your car. They run around $300+ for the tuner and a tune is normally around $300-400.

Depending on if this is your dd or not, look into getting a shorter gear. 4.10+ would be best. One of the best mods for these cars.

Last edited:

Jamchin

Established Member
Hey TBCobra!
Thanks for the reply.
So the 2001 SVT Cobra is rated at 320-hp at the crank. I googled around and at the wheels stock is approximately 265 to 275-hp at the wheels. Does that sound about right?

So for argument sake, let's say I have 275-hp at the wheels right now - stock. You are saying if I do the following:
-Full exhaust including long tubes
-Intake
-Underdrive pulley
-ECU tune
That it would get me about 330rwhp? That is an increase of ~55-hp. That's not so bad, but the cost would be quite a bit wouldn't it?

Yeah I always hear about changing out the final drive ratio to 4.10. I believe stock is 3.27:1 right guys?

I definitely need the cats, I live in Toronto, Canada, sooo many imports and guys who modify their cars. The police know what's going on.

Thanks!

ShortRound

Established Member
Gears are the number one thing you can do to change how your car drives and feels. I would do gears first, then work on the rest of the list. Yes parts for our cars are not cheap but if we wanted cheap would have we bought civics.

Most of the cars will come out of the factory putting down close to that, some more and im sure there are some out there putting down less. Its all about cam timing from the factory.
For the exhaust you can find a nice set of hi flow cats, of course they cost more than an offroad pipe, but if you have to have cats then thats the way to go. Or you could find a way to do electronic cut outs.....

While you wait for funds to afford the next part you could always do small things to the car, clean the engine bay, remove the wheels and clean them very very well, clean the suspension, do some of the cheaper mods that are in the sticky sections.

You can also look at doing suspension upgrades since they change the characteristics of the car as well. FTBR kit, subframe connectors/ladder, K-Memeber with coil overs and Bilsteins just to name a few commen ones

Last edited:

Badaz01

Established Member
I did jlt fender intake bbk 65mm throttle body 1/2 inch intake plenum spacer and exhaust from mid pipe back with a tune and got 298 rwhp.

Users who are viewing this thread