2001 T56 Swap, Driveshaft Length Question

vdubn

Established Member
I just finished pulling my IRS, and changing all of my bushings, etc. in the midst of swapping in a 2003/2004 T56 Trans, and Driveshaft. I ended up swapping the rear flange off of my 2001 driveshaft, onto a 2003 driveshaft, running a hybrid u-joint at the rear, to make it all bolt up. I was under the impression that the driveshaft would slip right in, but its just a hair long. The rear driveshaft flange just barely won't go over the nut on differential flange, but it feels like if I dropped the trans it would allow the driveshaft to pop over the nut and possibly fit, but currently the front slip yoke is as far in the trans as it can go.

It should slide in, right? I know with the IRS the diff doesn't move up and down, so if its a bit tight, it should be ok, as long as its not bound up, right?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It shouldn't be a problem as long as the slip yoke isn't hitting the trans when everything is mounted. However, I'd be doing some triple checking. Seeing as you're running factory parts I can't see why it would have a length issue. At least I don't remember having one in my 01.

Dave.O

Established Member
Don’t.

There needs to be slack/play to allow for engine movement.

I got a custom length shaft when installing a t56 in my 99 cobra

If I remember correctly I measured the end of out put shaft to diff flange

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

vdubn

Established Member
I totally agree, if there is no slack, I won't install it and leave it like that. If there is a 1/2" of slack after I get past the diff flange nut, I would think 1/2" in an IRS car would be fine. Agree?

Users who are viewing this thread