2003 Cobra vert 2.9 Whipple, built engine

horspla2000

Established Member
dynorun.jpg
2003 Cobra convertible for sale. I have owned this car for 7 years. Got it w 29K miles, bone stock, onw owner. Clean Ohio title in hand. Clean Carfax. Fair weather summer car only, garaged from mid October to April. There is now approx. 55K on the car. The engine build, supercharger, clutch and fuel system were done over the winter of 2015-16 at 50,800 miles. There is about 5K on the build
I built an engine because I wanted, to, not because I had to. Never blown up, never abused, driven only by me. I bought an engine off of a friend and built that while I was still driving the car.
4.6 out of a Cobra was machined .020", Wiseco forged pistons w the Wiseco ring pack for boosted applications. -6cc dish 4 valve relief pistons w the wrist pin upgrade. Factory rods were touch honed to get them perfectly round. ARP 2000 rod bolts, polished factory crank, ARP 2000 side bolts, main studs and head studs. The short block was assembled by the machine shop to get the bearing clearances and piston to wall perfect. This was built specifically for the combination it has now, so PTW and ring gaps were set accordingly.
Whipple 2.9 non crusher bought new at the time of the build. 3.25 pulley on it now w a stock lower. Accufab billet single blade, JLT next gen ram air. Currently makes 20 PSI peak w this pulley setup, the engine and fuel system is all set for much more if desired.
9 thread DB casting heads. New valve guides, all new exhaust seats, valve job, surfaced. Cometic head gaskets. Comp cams stage 3 cams, degreed in using billet sprockets. New Ford timing chains were used. Cobra Engineering secondary tensioner installed, using ARP bolts. Comp cams beehive springs and steel retainers.
Moroso big oil pan that holds 11 quarts total. Rebuilt the oil cooler just because w the speed concepts kit. Oil pan is powder coated gloss black w clear coat. Magnetic drain plug. Ran w Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend. Oil cooler housing was powder coated metallic silver w clear coat. Ford Racing 3V oil pump, new, w billet steel gears installed. Big pickup was used, and depth was set to the Moroso pan. Afco dual pass w powder coated brackets. Nations billet case alternator
Mac ceramic long tube headers, Lethal off road X pipe, and Bassani stainless cat back, using the 4" slash cut tips. Has an Auto Meter wideband, but the sensor is going bad and it will not read right sometimes.
Ford Racing progressive lowering springs. This IS an SRA car, installed by me. When I first got it, I didn't have the budget for FTBR, so SRA seemed like the solution. 2003 Mach 1 rear end was built w Ford Racing 31 spline carrier w carbon fiber clutches, Ford Racing 3.73's, Moser 31 spline axles. Ford racing aluminum girdle cover. Used Motorcraft 75w140 w friction modifier added. Cobra companion flange was used on the build, so the stock driveshaft fits perfect. New SRA Bilstein shocks were installed.
McLeod RXT clutch installed at the time of the build w a new Fidanza aluminum flywheel. ARP bolts used. MGW shifter, Tremec 26 spline, Pennziol synchromesh and an anti venom mod are done.
Fuel system is a full Fore return. Billet hat, twin Walbro 465 pumps, -8 braided line w Teflon liner. FC3 controller uses a Honeywell switch. F4i regulator. Billet Fore rails. ID 1000 injectors. Stainless mesh 10 micron Fore filter (for use w E85) Car has never sat w E85 in it.
This setup made 740 WHP and 600 tq on only 20 PSI on E85. The Mustang dyno run was stopped at 6700 RPM, although it was still climbing hard. The build was pretty fresh and a LOT of time and money was spent by me and that's as far as I wanted to push it at that time. The fuel system and engine are very capable of going much further. Just install a lower and retune for the increased boost and you can go much further. There is a 93 tune, 100 octane 105+ octane, E85 and E85 race in an SCT X4. Tunes were done on a Mustang dyno.
Wheels are AFS 18" reps w Bridgestone Potenza tires. Rides smooth and quiet. I also have a set of 18x10.5 AFS reps w Mickey Thompson Drag Radials on them.
Calipers are powder coated red w polished Cobra lettering, slotted and drilled rotors and performance pads.
UPR Chromoly K member that uses the stock lower control arms. Powder coated gloss black w clear coat. Maximum Motorsports strut tower brace. MM full length subframe connectors welded in.
Aftermarket hood vents, hood struts, rad cover. Battery relocated to trunk. Front bumper cover, mirrors and hood were repainted due to stone chips and bugs. True Forged tanks, powder coated wrinkle black. Timing cover, oil cooler, pulley bridge and lower intake are all powder coated metallic silver w clear coat. Stainless bolts used on the lower and fuel rails. Metco pulleys and tensioner brace. Valve covers are powder coated wrinkle black as are the True Forged tanks. Coil covers powder coated torch red and chrome powder. Stainless bolts on valve covers, too.
I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but you get the idea. All work was done by me w the exception of the machine work and the short block assembly. This was done for ME w no intention of selling, so it was all done right, done once, done to last. I am a Senior Master tech at a Ford dealer w 20+ years of professional mechanic experience.
I DO NOT have to sell. Don't want to really, but it may be time to move on to other things. I have well over 30K in this car and would have no issue w a buyer driving across the country to take it home. I am in northern Ohio near lake Erie and I have taken this car to Mustang Week 5 times. That is some miles right there. Then it was a weekend cruiser, car show cruiser and I drove it to work on occasion (70ish mile round trip)
Asking $24,500 OBO. I have the SVT certificate, convertible top boot and the other set of wheels/tires. Clean Ohio title in hand. I work at a dealer, so doing a transaction through them would be possible if needed. Also, could lift it for a look under the car if needed.
PLEASE, serious buyers only. Have funding in line. Thanks for reading. Deke
me.jpg
me.jpg
cobracert.jpg
me.jpg
cobracert.jpg
myengine.jpg
cobraforsale.jpg

Last edited:

horspla2000

Established Member
ADMINS! IF THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG, PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND GIVE ME A CHANCE TO FIX IS (AND SOME TIME TO DO SO) INSTEAD OF DELETING IT!

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Iam not a vert person but that is a beautiful and nicely built example, good price.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
You did a great job correcting all the flood damage. I never thought this car would hold paint let alone start again.

JK JK! I know this guy and this car well. Very meticulous and an ASE mechanic who took his time and did it right. The paint has been corrected and is swirl-free. The powertrain is solid. If I were in the market for a black terminator, this one would be at the top of my list. I'd vouch for Deke anytime.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Very nice! What color are the seat inserts?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

mbsvt

My Hot Rod's
Established Member
You did a great job correcting all the flood damage. I never thought this car would hold paint let alone start again.

JK JK! I know this guy and this car well. Very meticulous and an ASE mechanic who took his time and did it right. The paint has been corrected and is swirl-free. The powertrain is solid. If I were in the market for a black terminator, this one would be at the top of my list. I'd vouch for Deke anytime.

WHAT!!!!
This car was flood damaged??

shauncurt

Established Member
I already know what it sounds like but I need to hear it.
Post a video of this car running and it may push me over the edge on a purchase......

Last edited:

fromzto5

Established Member
Hello... is this car still for sale? My must have criteria for my next toy car is a vert :)

I love the write up of the vehicle. Nice job.

MG0h3

Established Member
As long as everything is squared away this is a great buy.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

horspla2000

Established Member
Its all legit. Just have had it for a long time and ready to move on to other things. Yes, still avail as of now, but I am working w someone on it.

Users who are viewing this thread