2003 Cobra Vs 2002 Saleen S281SC

89#709

Established Member
Hello everybody, I just wanted to ask a couple of questions and make a couple of comments.
First I think this is a great web site. Everybody seems to really get along for the most part and you folks all seem to care about other people. I have seen the dedication that one person did for another friend that was a Corvette owner that passed away a month ago, That was very moving. A true friend. Second the response that people gave to the other person that thinks they may have cancer. Unbelieveable, sympathetic and understanding from everyone. Has anyone not been touched by this dreadful disease somehow? My self included.

Now my questions. I am a Saleen owner but a car enthusuast. I am looking to sell the Saleen that I have owned for the past 12 years and buy either a 2003 convertible Cobra or a 2002 Convertible Saleen SC. (non E) I absolutely love the performance of the new Cobra and do like the looks a lot especially the Sonic Blue or the straight Black verts. But The Saleen(no offense) is the best looking car for under 40K(used) and the performance is not bad and with probably 2-3 grand you can have the performance of the Cobra. Knowing which site I am on I expect folks to go for the Cobra and that is ok, but has anyone had the chance to own or drive both and make a comparison? Mine is a Black Hatch back #89-709. GT 40 Turbo Swirl heads, Saleen Intake ported(made by Vortech) 65 mm TB, E 303 Cam, Bigger fuel pump(just cant remember the size now), Full Tockio adjustable suspension and 3:55 gears. With the Grey Saleen(American Racing Rims) Car has 66K miles and is only driven now less than 500 miles a year to 3-4 shows. Never dragged but has seen the high side of 145mph a couple of times. 97 Vette, 97 Mitsu 3000 vr4, Chevy Typhoon, Beat all of them pretty badly. Anyways I am asking 14,000.00 is that too much? Paint is probably 85% good some chips on front spoiler Interior is probably 90%. No rips just needs a good cleaning and a heater grill as one got broken when it got detailed .Interior all Original even Stereo and the Momo is still in there. Again I am the second owner. Owned since August 1991. Still love the car but its time to move on and I can't fund 2 toys like that. I know I will be kicking myself when I do sell as The car still looks great and can still get it going. Hopefully a new Love will help ease the pain
I apprecaite any feedback and look forward to the responses.

regards
Jon

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
I know you have a Saleen but, I'm gonna say it anyways. New Saleens look like they are riced out with all the excessive ground effects. Your 89 was much more subdued than the crap they slap on there now. I mean, the rear wing, MY GOD! I see red one on a regular basis and I think it looks stupid.

Get the 03, put a couple of grand in it, and spank Vipers and Vettes all day. Plus you won't look like some 16 yr punk with a GT and ground effects.

03CobraBro

Established Member
2003 Cobra. Remember that 2 to 3k you plan on dumping into that Saleen could be dumped into the 03 Cobra to take it to a much higher level than that S-281. As much as I hate to say this, if you really like saleens that much, you could buy an aftermarket body kit for the 03 if you so do desire and have the added bonus of having the Cobras 4v with all of its forged internal glory to go along with it. Hell an 03 Cobra with a saleen body kit would probably bring saleen more bussiness if anything with everyone thinking its an S-281. :lol:

Last edited:

NastyWS6

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Hell an 03 Cobra with a saleen body kit would probably bring saleen more bussiness if anything with everyone thinking its an S-281.

Your right, it probably would

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
The Saleen as well as others like it (Roush, Steeda, etc) are maxed out GT's. Additional performance gains over what you'll get in the car as is will be very costly. The 2003 Cobra on the other hand is a great platform to START with installing inexpensive bolt-ons that will yield huge power increases.

I'd have to agree with 94SVT_Coupe on the appearance of the Saleens. They look kind of tacky to me.

Also, Saleen did make a few Cobra based cars this year, but I think they were in the $80,000 price range.

-norcal_cobra

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by norcal_cobra
The Saleen as well as others like it (Roush, Steeda, etc) are maxed out GT's. Additional performance gains over what you'll get in the car as is will be very costly. The 2003 Cobra on the other hand is a great platform to START with installing inexpensive bolt-ons that will yield huge power increases.

I'd have to agree with 94SVT_Coupe on the appearance of the Saleens. They look kind of tacky to me.

Also, Saleen did make a few Cobra based cars this year, but I think they were in the $80,000 price range.

-norcal_cobra

80 thousand...? 50 thousand dollars... alot for a body kit eh? hehe.

I guess it pays to have your name on something.

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
80 thousand...? 50 thousand dollars... alot for a body kit eh? hehe.

I guess it pays to have your name on something.

$50k for the Saleen Cobra? There were supposedly only 5 produced. $50k doesn't sound right to me since the Saleen converted GT cars are in the high $40k range. I don't know that $80k was the right number, but it has to cost a significant amount more than the GT based model.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19407&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

-norcal_cobra

03CobraBro

Established Member
No, you said 80k, I meant 50k on top of the 30k price of a standard 2003 Cobra. I was saying I thought that extra 50k was for a body kit, but since you said they only made 5...

Still though like I said before, having your name on a car pays off it seems. I could make up some plastic tac ons for a V6 mustang, slap "Kreegar" emblems all over it, jack the price up an extra 15k on top of the price of a standard V6 stang, and be raking in the cash like saleen and roush do.

Last edited:

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by 89#709

But The Saleen(no offense) is the best looking car for under 40K(used) and the performance is not bad and with probably 2-3 grand you can have the performance of the Cobra. Jon

I would agree with that they are the best looking Stangs (IMO). Eventhough i'm just a GT owner I would still have to go with the Cobra, the 4V engine has much more potential than the 2V. Just add a kit to it to spice up it's looks.

Last edited:

89#709

Established Member
Team, thank you for the advice. I appreciate it. I do love the looks of the 2003 Cobra. I have seen one guy put the larger rims and tires on it and lower it with Eibachs and the car just screams "Get the hell out of my way" One last question . I really want a convertible as I have 4 year old girl and a little boy on the way and just love to drive around with the top down. I live on the seacoast in New Hampshire and we have good convertible weather probably 6 months a year. Does anybody notice any performance differneces between the coupe and the convertible? Also anybody holding out for the new body style? And what do you think SVT will do with it? I will let you know what I decide to . Maybe in a few months I am logging in as FAST03Snake.

Take care and be safe.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I owned a Saleen (#01-303) prior to the Cobra. The Saleen stuck to the road like glue and was an animal in the twisties. That said in the straight line it was a slug. The SC is rated at less HP than the Cobra and can cost up to $10K more depending on dealer markup. Hell the base S281 costs more than the '03 Cobra. You have to step up to the E before you get forged internals and the other improvements that get it into the Cobra class. Lasty all of the Saleen platforms are still based on the 2V engine. So the Cobra comes out ahead in all comparisons and simple mods will get you close to 500 hp. Are you asking too much for your Saleen? Maybe, but I'm sure there's a collecter out there willing to pay that much. Good luck in the sale and welcome aboard. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread