2003 Mach 1 drive shaft & rear end / axel rust removal

Fomoco69

Established Member
Heavy surface rust needs to be removed so I can paint both pieces black....any suggestions ?

DJAMiller

Established Member
Clean it as best as you can using a wire wheel on an angle grinder or drill and sandpaper. After that hit it with a product called ospho (allows you to paint over corrosion) then clean well and prime and paint as you would normally.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't dick with the driveshaft much, don't wanna throw it out of balance. An aluminum replacement is about the only option

Prep prime and chassis paint like por15

Mattstang04

Established Member
I swapped in my new aluminum driveshaft yesterday. Haven't gotten to drive the car yet but I can tell you it looks real nice under there. Once I get the catback installed, the whole undercarriage is going to look pretty trick.

Fomoco69

Established Member
I swapped in my new aluminum driveshaft yesterday. Haven't gotten to drive the car yet but I can tell you it looks real nice under there. Once I get the catback installed, the whole undercarriage is going to look pretty trick.
Ok....thanx...will keep that in mind.....where did you get yours from ?

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
I scuffed up the axle on mine with a sctchbrite and painted it with grill paint. Been holding up well. My car is a garage queen though and usually doesn't get ran in the rain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fomoco69

Established Member
I scuffed up the axle on mine with a sctchbrite and painted it with grill paint. Been holding up well. My car is a garage queen though and usually doesn't get ran in the rain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanx.....just heavy surface rust here...the rest of underside is super clean.should not be too hard to clean up....garaged also 95% of time , but came from New Jersey & is now living the dry life in California

Khemical_Khaos

Get some POR-15 pre cleaner, and some actual POR-15 and a few little brushes.

Clean off the axle with the pre cleaner. Let it dry, and then coat it with POR-15. Looks amazing and is nigh indestructible.

Users who are viewing this thread