2003 Mach 1 Project Bad Mach

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
So, I picked up a Mach 1 for a drag oriented project. The goal with the car is to go 9’s in the 1/4 with ac, heat, radio, abs, and rocking a man trans.

The car is Torch Red, 82k miles, clean title.

The car is supposed to have a built engine by way of Eagle Stroker Kit with DSS -15cc pistons, ported heads, cams, BBK TB, K&N intake pipe. Exhaust is BBK LTs, H Pupe, Flowmaster catback. The 3650 is supposed to be rebuilt with Hurst Shifter and a Centerforce clutch. Rear is supposed to be built with 3.73s. Suspension is Viking Coilovers in the rear, QA1 K, A Arms, and Coilovers in the front. There is a dyno sheet which shows the car making 330hp and 340lb/ft.

There is a leak at the oil filter adapter and power steering pump. There were codes for LT fuel trims being rich and evap leak. The TB coupler and clamps were trashed. Paint is trash and the interior is weather beaten. Also, has 95 Cobra R Reps on it. The car has the 04 emblems on it; no clue why.

I found myself going overboard on my GT convertible which was initially supposed to be built to make 400hp and be fun to take the wife and daughter out to eat, local trips, cruises, and such.

This Mach 1 will allow me to ease up a bit on the GT and make it more appealing for my wife and daughter to ride in while I focus on the Mach 1 being built to race.

First steps is to get the leaks diagnosed and a compression test done just as a precaution.

Hope you all enjoy this.

It takes a buttload of lube to do anal.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your wife will love you for taking this route in the long run. Nice to have a dedicated racer and then a more casual GT for nice street cruising with your wife and daughter.

I'm looking forward to following your Mach 1 build.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Your wife will love you for taking this route in the long run. Nice to have a dedicated racer and then a more casual GT for nice street cruising with your wife and daughter.

I'm looking forward to following your Mach 1 build.

My wife seems very receptive. It could be be my daughter is super excited about “daddy’s race car”. My little girl makes me laugh.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're prepared either way, so that's good. I'll be following this thread.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
You're prepared either way, so that's good. I'll be following this thread.

There is a part of me that wants to go full retard with this car and return it to as close to stock as possible and start fresh for more content. I am trying to do a road map of parts and mods for guys that want to buy cars and take to the strip.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Not a big update, in order to clear some garage space, I swapped wheels. The car came with 95 Cobra R Reps and I swapped with SVE Drifts. Fronts are wrapped in Toyo T1 Sports and the rears are R888s.
IMG_9018.JPG

IMG_9020.JPG

IMG_9019.JPG

I should have some more updates soon. We will see what the engine looks like.

Nurses Aide Korninmyrectum to the ICU for Code Brown cleanup.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
So an update on the Mach 1.

The “built rear” probably only consists of upgraded gears as the axles are stock. Some idiot removed the slip joint at the catback and welded it, the Viking rears need replaced as the settings changes are suspect at best (rebound on passenger side won’t budge and the is no stop to the negative side on the compression), I found cut wires, and I broke the plastic piece near the lug on the fuse box in the engine bay and it still didn’t loosen.

I think I may have a fuel system issue. It is supposed to have an Aeromotive Stealth Fuel System but data logging shows fuel pressure drop to low 30s sometimes when getting on it and it bogs like the cut you feel with traction control on and it seeing slip.

Last, the driver’s side license plate bulb will not illuminate. I replaced the bulb and still nothing. Gotta do some wire tracing. The passenger side window switch does not work.

I did some upgrades and started working on fixing some wiring. I really need to get my garage cleaned to where both the Mach 1 and GT can be parked inside. I hesitate to do too much at this time due to not wanting the car torn apart over night.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You will. This is a good project, and we'll get to take the ride with you even as you tackle and resolve issues. It's all good!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They are getting tougher to find. I can't remember the last time I saw a Mach 1 around here. Nor can I remember the last time I saw an '03-'04 Cobra.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Those cars are getting tougher to find.

They are getting tougher to find. I can't remember the last time I saw a Mach 1 around here. Nor can I remember the last time I saw an '03-'04 Cobra.

The prices are skyrocketing for them when you do find them. I have seen salvage cars with over 100k miles going for over $10k.

“At least I didn’t get tased for not wearing a seatbelt.” - George Floyd

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member

Hopefully the sounds are nothing to worry about. I am hoping to get another video up soon.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
You're going to re-build the motor anyway, right?

Yes, however I was hoping this engine would be healthy. I am about to throw a blower on it.

So, I noticed that knock/slap a few times on start up before the oil change. It was on 20W-50 for break in. I switched to 5W-30 and that noise while audible I. The video is not audible in the car. The sound never increases with RPM just a second or two at start up then gone. I am clueless as to what it could be. It has a Melling Timing Kit. Somebody said maybe tensioner.

I am also having a bogging issue at times when you first get on it, almost like fuel cut. It doesn’t happen all the time but when it does fuel pressure drops to low 30s then quickly comes back up through the pull to upper 40s low 50s. I don’t know if it is a FRPS, pumps, or something else.

I found the built rear isn’t so built. At least the axles are stock I don’t know about anything else.

The Viking shocks in the rear are dead I think.

Fun times. Lol! I do have about $10-12k in parts to throw at it so we will see what happens.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Now I have a more complete picture in my head of what you're doing. It's nice that you have a much of parts on hand should you need them. Also great that you're going see what state the current engine is in as an early step. It's going to be fun following your build.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Now I have a more complete picture in my head of what you're doing. It's nice that you have a much of parts on hand should you need them. Also great that you're going see what state the current engine is in as an early step. It's going to be fun following your build.

I really wanted to go slow and document changes and what they do for the car. I am still thinking I want to take the car back to as close to stock as possible. Yes, I’d waste tons of money.

Or I jump in head first and see what ripples I make.

Users who are viewing this thread