2003 Mach 1 Project Bad Mach

JoeJoe

Established Member
Hey man, just happened to find this. I've seen you on sn95 forums. I'm over there often. at least more often than here. I'm really interested in your procharger set up and when you get that. I just purchased a used procharger set up for mine and am in no hurry to throw it on but haven't used one before so I'll be interested in any experience you have with yours. Joe

Attachments

• IMG_2997.jpg
    IMG_2997.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 159

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you gentlemen.

I got another piece in, the radio bezel from Carbon Driven came back in stock so I snagged that. I still really want the instrument cluster bezel with dual gauge pods and I think I want the 03-04 Cobra spoiler in CF also.

Also, since I have decided to go more restomod build I am getting ideas to try and add some upgrades to the look and feel of the interior. I have to say that looking at what @geoffmt did with the door panels I think that may be something.

I was hoping to maybe get some time to mess with the car this coming weekend but mother nature looks like it will not play nice. It looks like I may have a slower month in regards to work in March so maybe I can get some work done then.

milehisnk

I've been refreshing the carbondriven website several times a day hoping the radio bezel would be back in stock. I converted my 98 to double DIN and wanted to add the CF to the center. So far your car looks like it's progressing.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
IMG_2983.jpg

I finally titled the car in my name. I applied for a specialty plate and it was approved.

IMG_2998.JPG

My daughter thinks these are pretty because of the purple. I think the ID1000s will provide adequate fuel.

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_2997.JPG

My Mach 1 keychain arrived. I like how it looks and feels. I need to get two new Ford keys for the Mach 1.

IMG_2944.JPG

I ordered the elbow into the throttle body from Vortech. I will have the end cut off and it welded to the next piece. I want to keep couplers to a minimum.

IMG_2940.JPG

I also dropped stuff off at the machine shop. There has been a change in what the machine shop is doing since I dropped the stuff off but we will get into that when the replacement part arrives.

If you buy an EV you won’t suffer through high gas prices. - Peter Buttplug

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congrats on getting your personalized plate approved. I take it that you want to surprise us later with what it is?

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
A little bit of an update.

My plate has shipped and possibly arrived at the County Clerk, I will cal this week as work is kinda slow right now.

I did drive the car a bit recently.

I ordered Antimatter Blue paint to start working on cleaning the interior, removing the OEM sound material, and putting down new Noico Liner.

Once the paint arrives I will order new carpet.

The bad, this car just wants to fight me.

I had inventory for work this week. I decided to start the car and let it idle for a few minutes while I counted the parts I keep in my van. While it was idling it popped a P0354 code. Normally, I would not be all that concerned as the car is 19 years old. However, the COPs have maybe 300 miles on them as I have a receipt where the previous owner had Ford replace them before I bought the car.

Now, it could just be bad luck and a bad COP. It is ok I have new OEM ones. It could be the ECU. Again, ok I have the MS3PNP. Or it could be wiring which is my concern since I have already had to buy new wiring for other sections due to cut wires.

We will see.

I did get a MM steering shaft for the car. Tomorrow I will probably check the COP and pull the valve cover off to get the PN for the cams so I know what is actually there.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, I'm totally surprised that your plate was even available. That was awesome! I wonder if someone already snagged '04Mach1'? LOL.

I really hope your COP issue isn't bad wiring.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Wow, I'm totally surprised that your plate was even available. That was awesome! I wonder if someone already snagged '04Mach1'? LOL.

FB group post said bad coil connector, sounds like its time to buy 8 new ones and just de-pin the existing connector. The first 1-2 to get the hang of it takes about as long as the rest put together.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member

So”03MACH1” was taken but “O3MACH1” was available which I snagged.

And Jerry is correct below. The P0354 code seemed to be a connector that came loose and it does not want to click in. I am going to replace all the connectors when I replace the engine.

I think 11:1 CR and whatever boost a 4” pulley with a 10% IW crank should do. I may go a 3.85” pulley but we will start with the 4”.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Here is some driveline stuff for the Mach 1.

FRPP Differential Cover with ARP Fasteners
Eaton Detroit True-Trac LSD
FRPP Install Kit
Strange 31 Spline Axles with ARP Studs
Swarr Bar
Stiffler’s Driveshaft Safety Loop and T56 Trans Mount
MGW Shifter
26 spline upgrade and Steel Retainer Sleeve
McLeod Adjustable Pivot Ball

The 8.8 has Strange Billet Main Caps and has had the tubes welded.

IMG_3227.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3176.JPG

IMG_3175.JPG

IMG_3200.JPG

IMG_3201.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3196.JPG

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Got a few more parts for the Mach 1.

View attachment 1734499
View attachment 1734500

Ordered some Gen 2 Coyote/Boss rods. Going to do a budget engine to see how some cheap rods and pistons hold up.

Solid plan on the rods. They will be good for at least 800whp. My personal opinion its closer to 1000. They are stout.

That said, do no waste time with factory pistons. Buy some quality forged units and hang them on the boss rods.

ID1000s are good for about 900 whp on e85 with a proper return system. Any more than that and you need 13 or 1700s.

What are HP goals for this build?

Oh.. and I wish you the best or luck rowing gears to a 9 sec pass. Obviously it can be done, but it takes much more than what most think.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Solid plan on the rods. They will be good for at least 800whp. My personal opinion its closer to 1000. They are stout.

That said, do no waste time with factory pistons. Buy some quality forged units and hang them on the boss rods.

ID1000s are good for about 900 whp on e85 with a proper return system. Any more than that and you need 13 or 1700s.

What are HP goals for this build?

Oh.. and I wish you the best or luck rowing gears to a 9 sec pass. Obviously it can be done, but it takes much more than what most think.

I was going to use Probe SRS Pistons initially, it was going to be a budget build while I built something more stout.

That has been changed, I actually ordered a set of proper forged pistons. What do you think of 11:1 CR and about 10lbs of boost? Lol, I have a P1SC-1 and plan to upgrade to a P1X with a 10% Crank with a 4”, maybe a 3.8” upper.

As far as goals, I have given up on power or et goals.

Only goal I have now is a fun car, good power, looks good.

Once the GT and Mach 1 is finished, I will look for a GT to build a properly dedicated drag car. I realized I needed to stop trying to build a jack of all trades.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I was going to use Probe SRS Pistons initially, it was going to be a budget build while I built something more stout.

That has been changed, I actually ordered a set of proper forged pistons. What do you think of 11:1 CR and about 10lbs of boost? Lol, I have a P1SC-1 and plan to upgrade to a P1X with a 10% Crank with a 4”, maybe a 3.8” upper.

As far as goals, I have given up on power or et goals.

Only goal I have now is a fun car, good power, looks good.

Once the GT and Mach 1 is finished, I will look for a GT to build a properly dedicated drag car. I realized I needed to stop trying to build a jack of all trades.

Im a fan of compression. 11:1 and 10 psi is going to be awesome. Run E and never look back. It'll crank out 800 or so at 10 psi.. maybe a bit more. The coyote is a bad bitch.

Sweet build.. ive always loved Mach 1's.

Users who are viewing this thread