2003cobra#2's 3.4 Whipple Build

D-MANN

Established Member
I’ve read not to use a maf with ms3pro. Had planned on that. I do have a hpx-e maf. Should i use it?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Little update. Got the blower on, alternator in, and just about all back together. Many small things came up along the way requiring grinding, and trips to the auto parts store lol.

Today the MS3 and 14 point 7 widebands showed up. Hopefully get everything buttoned up this week and get this thing fired up this weekend.

One thing I'm curious is to see the bank to bank AF difference since I'm running 2 widebands and what the actual base timing of my motor is once I get it fired up and put a timing light to it.
3a8599eac92860203f69e8cf19fecf7a.jpg

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Mine was only a couple degrees off when I first checked everything. I made a mark on my sway bar and pulley so I could look from under the car.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Update:
Got the MS3 installed, dual Spartan 3 widebands installed using canbus. Noticed my Stainless Works cats were failing so I replaced with straight pipes. Now it makes sense as I felt the car made a hair more boost then I felt it should and power was down ever so slightly when I had the Whipple 3.4 on last year on the dyno...Car is a little louder now .

I'm having someone online helping me with the tuning to shorten the learning curve. Started the car and got a good idle going. We noticed the passenger 02 was being weird, acting up, and being all crazy so we disabled it and took the car out for a very easy drive.....did not drive very well lol. Start up and idle is good, so we have a very good base tune in place.

After playing with the passenger o2, swapping sensors, verifying with my innovate 02, I came to the conclusion there is no problem with the wideband 02 but a problem with the passenger bank. Drivers side it good...passenger side was running 1.3 to 1.5 lambda verified no Bueno. The MS3 has great test modes / troubleshooting capabilities and I was able to trace the problem to cylinder 4 fuel injector connector! I have a replacement on the way.

This week, I will get the bad injector plug fixed, replace the plugs with fresh NGK Br7's, and I have ordered a hall effect sensor to replace the factory cam sensor. Everyone once in a while it throws a cam code on startup. Looks like I am nearing the finish line.
15b0f224fec43fc717ae8984572b9dfd.jpg

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Update:
Got the MS3 installed, dual Spartan 3 widebands installed using canbus. Noticed my Stainless Works cats were failing so I replaced with straight pipes. Now it makes sense as I felt the car made a hair more boost then I felt it should and power was down ever so slightly when I had the Whipple 3.4 on last year on the dyno...Car is a little louder now .

I'm having someone online helping me with the tuning to shorten the learning curve. Started the car and got a good idle going. We noticed the passenger 02 was being weird, acting up, and being all crazy so we disabled it and took the car out for a very easy drive.....did not drive very well lol. Start up and idle is good, so we have a very good base tune in place.

After playing with the passenger o2, swapping sensors, verifying with my innovate 02, I came to the conclusion there is no problem with the wideband 02 but a problem with the passenger bank. Drivers side it good...passenger side was running 1.3 to 1.5 lambda verified no Bueno. The MS3 has great test modes / troubleshooting capabilities and I was able to trace the problem to cylinder 4 fuel injector connector! I have a replacement on the way.

This week, I will get the bad injector plug fixed, replace the plugs with fresh NGK Br7's, and I have ordered a hall effect sensor to replace the factory cam sensor. Everyone once in a while it throws a cam code on startup. Looks like I am nearing the finish line.
15b0f224fec43fc717ae8984572b9dfd.jpg
During my install I replaced like half the injector plugs because they stopped snapping in lol.

(8pcs) Fuel Injector Connector for EV6 EV14 USCAR Pigtail Harness Socket Plug Wire for LS2 LS3 LS7 GM Ford Dodge Jeep Mustang Vehicles Bosch https://a.co/d/0Mrzga2

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Once the start up is dialed in you won't get the sync error as much. I still get it, but it's so random I'm not in a hurry to swap out that sensor. It's still a good idea though.

Once you get the injector plug changed out drive the car with autotune on. You'll feel it driving better as you go. It's kind of trippy really. But it's cool to feel it come around while you're driving.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Finished up my 3rd tuning session with my tuner today. Issues I ran into after first fire up were:

Both cats had failed, I deleted them. Car is louder

#4 injector plug was bad, had to replace it.

I had the 02's wired wrong into the ecu quick fix.

Alt plug was loose causing all kinds of problems.

Even with the Cobra base tune most sensors were configured wrong in the software amd had to be fixed.

Had to replace plugs. Currently running BR7's gapped at 024.

It took my tuner a lot of time to get the tune down, as I insisted on running a maf vs map. The PMAS HXP-E has proven to be quite a challenge in the crusher 5" housing and running Comp XER stage 3 cams don't make it easier lol.

With that said the car is running really nice. I would say we're 90% done. From creeping around developments with lots of stop signs to a 5500 rpm pull on the highway the car feels great. I would say idle and drivability is better than the stock ecu and still have some refinement to do. I hit 26 lbs of boost using a 2lb lower and 3.25 upper which surprised me a bit with no spark blow out. I may go back to TR7IX'S because they provided great drivability compared to the BR7's when I ran the stock ecu....so I'll tinker with that.

Super satisfying to finally see everything come together. Eventually I'll add traction control, and get this to the dyno to finish up the top end and go for that number. I'll post baxk when I get to that.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I wonder if it's possible to use speed density at idle and then switch to MAF above a certain RPM? I might have to do some digging.

Users who are viewing this thread