2004 Pontiac GTO | Retro Review

robvas

Established Member
Had an 04, very cool car. Was hooked from the test drive. Seats and such were nothing like any other GM car at the time. Had issues with the front end and getting parts from Oz, loved the T56/LS1 combo, too bad the rear end wasn't setup for a decent tire size. Looked like a weenie with those stock tires.

Worst part was people didn't know what it was, asked if it was a G5 or Grand Am etc

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Had an 04, very cool car. Was hooked from the test drive. Seats and such were nothing like any other GM car at the time. Had issues with the front end and getting parts from Oz, loved the T56/LS1 combo, too bad the rear end wasn't setup for a decent tire size. Looked like a weenie with those stock tires.

Worst part was people didn't know what it was, asked if it was a G5 or Grand Am etc

The styling looked like a Cavalier, but the interior was lightyears ahead of anything else from GM. They may have been more popular if they had launched with the updates they received with the 6.0.

Fun fact, at the time GM had plans to make all Pontiacs rear wheel drive and more performance oriented.

DaBigBone

Established Member
I've always had a thing for these. Every so often I do some searching and see what prices look like. Probably jump on one if the stars aligned

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
The ls2's were sweet. Id pick one up as a dd if I could find a stock, 1 owner, 6spd car. The torrid red and impulse blue ones are ultra sexy.

mariusvt

Established Member
I'd still enjoy owning an 05 or 06 6spd with the 6.0 in it. Every so often I go window shopping.

ArabianOak

Established Member
This was a nice ride with good performance. Offcourse by this time the Cobra was eating people. And ohh yeah LS6>>>LS2
yep, my first introduction to a cobra was in my 04 gto...guy rolled up on me from 40mph and literally left me in another zip code...pulled up, chatted and he had 600rwhp on his 03 cobra...ran 10.8@128-130. Back then that was NUTS.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
yep, my first introduction to a cobra was in my 04 gto...guy rolled up on me from 40mph and literally left me in another zip code...pulled up, chatted and he had 600rwhp on his 03 cobra...ran 10.8@128-130. Back then that was NUTS.
I had a 2001 Vortec Camaro SS. Just a basic 6lb kit with cooler with not much else. I was afraid of blowing the motor but the way it sat made 470RWHP. Ran very nice , until I ran into a certain 03 cobra. We ran a few times in the HWY and he would leave me slowly every time. He was also modded but man I was heart broken. Lol. 3 months later the SS was sold and I had a beautiful 03 Red AnniversayCobra.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I miss the days of high performance cars starting in the upper 20s low 30s. Camaros/Ws6/Cobra/Mach/STi/Srts all attainable. Yes, one can argue the new 5.0 is attainable in a bare bones configuration. But something is missing. Maybe its just personal bias to those times and or a combination of inflation not keeping up with payscales.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Txyaloo and I were just talking about how to fix the ugly ass rear end on his.
I just can't get over the skinny tires and Cavalier looking rear end.
Ugly on the outside pretty on the inside for its day.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Friend had an 04 stick car until someone ran a light and pushed him into a UPS truck. Totalled with ease, since parts were usually sourced from Ozzie-land. He had stock manifolds, off road pipe, air intake, and a tune. On a regular radial he ran 12.80s@111 with that. Stock was 13.30s@104. He is also a very good driver, so those weren't the typical times. I'll see if his brother still has his 12.80 pass recorded somewhere. He had a handheld camera that was always with us at the track. Phones weren't shooting movies back then.....haha.
I drove it a couple of times and with the stock shifter it felt like I had to reach into the windshield to get to 3rd....haha. Still easy to bang gears in it, just had a LONG ASS way to go to get to 3rd.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Didn’t they wind up with 400 hp at the end of production?
I always thought if you took off all the badging it would make an good sleeper.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

mariusvt

Established Member
Didn’t they wind up with 400 hp at the end of production?
I always thought if you took off all the badging it would make an good sleeper.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Yea in 05 they bumped up to the 6.0 ls2 for 400hp

Rambro

Established Member
Always liked these. Was going to buy an 06, test drove a brand new one, liked it, but then I test drove my cobra and the rest is history. Brother-in-law bought an 05. It has supposedly ported stock heads, cam, fast intake, headers and a stall. Kid he bought it from swears it ran 11.0, best her brother could get at the track was 11.6 but that was on 93. It’s supposedly flex tuned? Has a fuel cell and a/c delete from what I can tell. 11.0 seems pretty quick for a h/c/i gto but we don’t know what it weighs.

Users who are viewing this thread