2008 GT500 switch to E85

pridemore54

Established Member
What parts would I need to support a swap over to E85? Surprisingly E85 is a lot more available than 93. I don't know a lot about E85 other than the basics of lower IAT's, lowers your mpg (not that I care), and requires a lot more flow than typical gas. Right now my mods are a 2.3L TVS(14# on stock pulley), O/R X pipe (stock manifolds), and a couple other small things like oil catch can and what not. I have some 2013 GT500 55# injectors sitting around, would those be up to the task? Right now I'm making 615 whp and 610wtq on a conservative 93 tune. Thank you.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
You would need to add a plug n play boost a pump like this:

http://www.vmpperformance.com/VMP-D...ump-Voltage-Booster-40a-p/vmpamppnp2-0710.htm

The 55lb injectors will not be adequate....I would go with the ID1050X injectors that are plenty of flow and long term ethanol rated internals:

http://injectordynamics.com/injectors/id1050x/

These 2 sets of parts will give you plenty of room to support ethanol use.....I would also recommend you change your pulley setup to push boost closer to 18-20 psi and take full advantage of the ethanol. Last thing you would need is a retune with a reputable E85 expert like 04sleeper can provide. Your hp/tq should go up 100/100 range

nxhappy

Established Member
best setup will be a return system. Especially if you want room to grow in the future.

pridemore54

Established Member
You would need to add a plug n play boost a pump like this:

http://www.vmpperformance.com/VMP-D...ump-Voltage-Booster-40a-p/vmpamppnp2-0710.htm

The 55lb injectors will not be adequate....I would go with the ID1050X injectors that are plenty of flow and long term ethanol rated internals:

http://injectordynamics.com/injectors/id1050x/

These 2 sets of parts will give you plenty of room to support ethanol use.....I would also recommend you change your pulley setup to push boost closer to 18-20 psi and take full advantage of the ethanol. Last thing you would need is a retune with a reputable E85 expert like 04sleeper can provide. Your hp/tq should go up 100/100 range

I was thinking about the pulley swap but with ethanol in the mix wont I be pushing the limit of the stock motor? I don't have the funds to build a new 5.4 lol. Also won't a dual boost a pump be really pushing the stock fuel pump limits? Would it just be smarter to upgrade to a stronger fuel pump? Thank you for your input.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I was thinking about the pulley swap but with ethanol in the mix wont I be pushing the limit of the stock motor? I don't have the funds to build a new 5.4 lol. Also won't a dual boost a pump be really pushing the stock fuel pump limits? Would it just be smarter to upgrade to a stronger fuel pump? Thank you for your input.

The vmp boost a pump has a proven track record to work reliably with the factory shelby pumps and remain returnless.....as long as the pumps are up to par before the install. I would think considering you are running 600+ wheel right now, your tuner probably has confidence the pumps are working well according to the datalogs or he wouldn't have let you drive away with the factory system intact.

My thoughts are on your 5.4 that you are going to be just fine at 700 on ethanol. But it's your car and you are the one that has to sleep at night.....even if you left the pulley psi setup as is, I'd still be in favor of seeing you run ethanol. It has so many safety advantages over pump 93 they are too numerous to list. The safety margin is so much greater I believe you can kick the boost up considerably from where you are now and still be as safe as your current pump gas setup. At the end of the day, if you are going thru the $$$ and time to switch to E85, take advantage of the opportunity and spin the blower past 14psi. If the idea of 20psi is too much....split the difference and run 17psi.

As far as return vs returnless.....return would be warranted if you were going to run BIG time boost past where I believe you are currently envisioning. Like maybe a 2.9 whipple spinning it hard. I think for a fraction of going full return (new pumps, new fuel hat, regulator, lines, lots of labor), you can stay returnless and be up and running in no time. With plenty of fuel delivery for your current goals and then some (i.e. Like spinning to 20 which your blower can do).

builttodrive

Established Member
You can look at my setup listed in my signature and feel free to message me with any questions. I am running about the max set up before a person needs to go to a return system. I ran out of fuel pump with the stock pumps at about 667 rwhp and had to limit my RPM to stock limiter 6,250. I was also running much more conservative timing. I added the DW300M plug and play pumps and got about a 10% increase and was able to bring my limiter up to 6,400 RPM and still have a little safety margin. We added a little timing and increased to 704 RWHP. I am making roughly 16PSI Boost.

pridemore54

Established Member
The vmp boost a pump has a proven track record to work reliably with the factory shelby pumps and remain returnless.....as long as the pumps are up to par before the install. I would think considering you are running 600+ wheel right now, your tuner probably has confidence the pumps are working well according to the datalogs or he wouldn't have let you drive away with the factory system intact.

My thoughts are on your 5.4 that you are going to be just fine at 700 on ethanol. But it's your car and you are the one that has to sleep at night.....even if you left the pulley psi setup as is, I'd still be in favor of seeing you run ethanol. It has so many safety advantages over pump 93 they are too numerous to list. The safety margin is so much greater I believe you can kick the boost up considerably from where you are now and still be as safe as your current pump gas setup. At the end of the day, if you are going thru the $$$ and time to switch to E85, take advantage of the opportunity and spin the blower past 14psi. If the idea of 20psi is too much....split the difference and run 17psi.

As far as return vs returnless.....return would be warranted if you were going to run BIG time boost past where I believe you are currently envisioning. Like maybe a 2.9 whipple spinning it hard. I think for a fraction of going full return (new pumps, new fuel hat, regulator, lines, lots of labor), you can stay returnless and be up and running in no time. With plenty of fuel delivery for your current goals and then some (i.e. Like spinning to 20 which your blower can do).
appreciate the input. I definitely want to push it up to 17, still considering 20 but there is just no way I could afford to replace this motor if I ever destroyed it. At least no where in the near future. However I would feel much better if it was running on e85 so I want to try and accomplish that while I upgrade the pulley. I will certainly hold off on the return system for now cause my goal is just 700whp till I can build the motor itself.

pridemore54

Established Member
You can look at my setup listed in my signature and feel free to message me with any questions. I am running about the max set up before a person needs to go to a return system. I ran out of fuel pump with the stock pumps at about 667 rwhp and had to limit my RPM to stock limiter 6,250. I was also running much more conservative timing. I added the DW300M plug and play pumps and got about a 10% increase and was able to bring my limiter up to 6,400 RPM and still have a little safety margin. We added a little timing and increased to 704 RWHP. I am making roughly 16PSI Boost.
Thanks! That's definitely the power im looking for so I will look into those parts you have listed

pridemore54

Established Member
Hey guys I just got an offer to trade those 55# I have for some 80# ones. Think that will be enough to support my setup if I keep the stock pulley for now?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

good info... thanks

JeremyH

Established Member
I personally hated the 80s and went to the 1000s (95s). Car drives like stock again and 1000s will do 850-900rwhp on e85. Here's a comparison video.

pridemore54

Established Member
I personally hated the 80s and went to the 1000s (95s). Car drives like stock again and 1000s will do 850-900rwhp on e85. Here's a comparison video.

Cool video! I certainly was looking to get 1000s but the 80# injectors kind of fell into my lap. Had a guy that needed to downsize and I had the exact injectors he wanted (55# 13 gt500 OEM) and so we did a straight up trade. This video is making me consider selling them and spending the money on the 1000s. But holy crap those are pricey for a guy like me

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
the DW 95's (1000s) are getting good reviews for about $250-300 less than the ID1000s.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The DW 95s look like factory 47# and 56# injectors.

Are they supposed to be Bosch's OEM style 95# flow injectors?

pridemore54

Established Member
Hey guys another question. Hoping to get in answered without starting another thread. I was reading that doing these mods (injectors, BAP, tune) without a return style fuel system is dangerous. Is that true? I cannot afford to blow the motor in this car.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
For a TVS, it appears that a KB BAP and injectors are plenty fine in a returnless system. The idea is that power leveks found at like 3.4 Whipples, or KB 3.6 and up or large shot nitrous will require a much higher flow. But TVSs, M122s, and maybe nitrous should be ok on injectors, BAP and filter.

Users who are viewing this thread