2008 Super Snake Prototype???

Willie

Established Member
Few questions:

1) Wasn't the first year of Super Snake production 2007? If so, why would there be a need to produce prototypes the following year, especially when there were no significant changes for that year? Or were there on a Super Snake?

2) With four prototypes made in the second year of production infers prototypes were made every year of production. Is this the case?

3) Were prototypes sold to the public?

4) Is there documentation included with a prototype? Yes, I see the assigned Shelby sequential serial number ends with "P", but is that all there is? Seems to me there should be more, but who am I to say?

5) Value. What would be fair market price on one of four compared to a regular production model with like mileage?

Willie

Last edited:

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Honestly. If you’re seriously interested. Reach out to Shelby America. That’s going to be your best and most honest line.

In 2008, the Shelby prototypes utilized a few unique features not option on what was the standard Super Snake:

1.hand-cut Baer six-piston front disc brake calipers, which were then
2. Baer calipers hand-painted to body color at Shelby automobiles.
3. A hand-laid fiberglass hood with hand-cut hood vents also varies from the production-spec offering.
4. Custom Alcoa wheels, have a coating that was not found on the later production Super Snakes, as well as this
5. Unique car having an early cold air intake configuration.
6. A non-production clearcoating of the engine bay.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Few questions:

1) Wasn't the first year of Super Snake production 2007? If so, why would there be a need to produce prototypes the following year, especially when there were no significant changes for that year? Or were there on a Super Snake?

2) With four prototypes made in the second year of production infers prototypes were made every year of production. Is this the case?

3) Were prototypes sold to the public?

4) Is there documentation included with a prototype? Yes, I see the assigned Shelby sequential serial number ends with "P", but is that all there is? Seems to me there should be more, but who am I to say?
Willie

I asked the same question(s) when I saw this car a few weeks ago. The 2007-2008 Super Snake brochure from Shelby Automobiles in that time period was the same with no changes. During this time period a buyer could choose 605 or 725 Horsepower, Black or $1300 upgrade Polished on the 725 Kenne Bell, Color choice of Baer Extreme front calipers, 1/4 Window Side Scoops OR Block-off plates (Block off plate choice of Black or Alum. finish) and standard FRPP Blue suspension or the $100 Eibach Coilover Upgrade. <<That was it in that time period. The Ford options that were added for 2008, HID, Ambient, etc. would have nothing to do with the 2008 Super Snake build.

^^^^So given these facts, I am not sure why there would be a "Prototype" for the 2008 Super Snake build?

All of this being said............Too bad it is only the standard 605HP. <<6XX HP was "Super" up until 2013 because no S197's were at that level from Ford, but once the 2013's came out at 662HP from Ford, the 6XX Super Snake's were not so "Super" any more.

7XX in the S197?, Ford never got there in factory production so if a person wants a 7XX or more GT500 from Ford or Shelby the Super Snake at that higher/optional level is it.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Honestly. If you’re seriously interested. Reach out to Shelby America. That’s going to be your best and most honest line.

In 2008, the Shelby prototypes utilized a few unique features not option on what was the standard Super Snake:

1.hand-cut Baer six-piston front disc brake calipers, which were then
2. Baer calipers hand-painted to body color at Shelby automobiles.
3. A hand-laid fiberglass hood with hand-cut hood vents also varies from the production-spec offering.
4. Custom Alcoa wheels, have a coating that was not found on the later production Super Snakes, as well as this
5. Unique car having an early cold air intake configuration.
6. A non-production clearcoating of the engine bay.

I guess I would have to hear more from Shelby, many of the items you have listed above are on my 2008 Super Snake, I have discussed some of these items with Shelby and Baer in the past. Mine is not prototype.

R

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
I guess I would have to hear more from Shelby, many of the items you have listed above are on my 2008 Super Snake, I have discussed some of these items with Shelby and Baer in the past. Mine is not prototype.

R

please call and post up what learn. I am by far NO Shelby expert. I thought in 2008 there was just 3 P ending shelbys SS made too? But again, that’s just what I’ve heard.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
please call and post up what learn. I am by far NO Shelby expert. I thought in 2008 there was just 3 P ending shelbys SS made too? But again, that’s just what I’ve heard.

The real problem is finding people at Shelby that a person can talk to who are familiar with the "early days" of the Super Snake production. Many lower level as well as upper level contacts have long since moved on and jogging someones memory about technical details from 10+ years ago is hard now.

I recently (last few months) started a discussion on Team Shelby about the Shelby Super Snake Faux Ring and how one sold for just over $800 on eBay, and then a second for just under $800 and how those rings were a Great investment for someone who bought one (or more) for $79.95 when they were new. These were restricted so you had to provide proof of Super Snake ownership to even buy one through SPP. The SAI person on the forum said that Shelby never sold them and that they were aftermarket, my thought was WAIT WHAT???? I bought one of these rings from SPP myself, it was a Shelby item from Shelby......

This is the 2007-2009 Super Snake faux ring...

001.jpg

002.jpg

^^^^^Def. a Shelby item. Once I provided the box with Shelby part number and description the discussion changed.

My plan was to removed my original Shelby GT500 faux cap and add what is pictured below to my 2008 Super Snake.....

001.jpg

002.jpg

.............but after seeing those $800+ or - for the ring itself new, I don't think it would be wise to make it "used".........

R

Last edited:

Willie

Established Member
For the record, I am absolutely in no way interested in this, nor any other Mustang at this time. The one I own now is a lifetime keeper, as it as major sentimental value.... and so much customization that it will forever be in my garage. It is my second GT500 and my last.

I would never question the existence of 2007 Super Snake prototypes, as it was the first year. But having one, much less four the following year makes no sense to me. Unless... there were major changes for 2008. Mechanically, there were none. Cosmetically, I can think of only one... ambient lighting.... Ahhh, that one option justifies four prototypes, lol... (Sorry, sarcasm does not convey well in written language.) But you know what I'm saying....

Evidently, for whatever reason (or no reason at all), there were four in 2008. So to me, that translates to more being built for 2009. Were there?

I found the Super Snake ad on craigslist because there was a rumor that a friend's GT500 (which he sold about one year ago) was for sale by the person who bought it from him. I had to see if that was true, which it turned out to be. That's when I saw the Super Snake ad.

Willie

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
For the record, I am absolutely in no way interested in this, nor any other Mustang at this time. The one I own now is a lifetime keeper, as it as major sentimental value.... and so much customization that it will forever be in my garage. It is my second GT500 and my last.

I would never question the existence of 2007 Super Snakes, as it was the first year. But having one, much less four the following year makes no sense to me. Unless... there were major changes for 2008. Mechanically, there were none. Cosmetically, I can think of only one... ambient lighting.... Ahhh, that one option justifies four prototypes, lol... (Sorry, sarcasm does not convey well in written language.) But you know what I'm saying....

Evidently, for whatever reason (or no reason at all), there were four in 2008. So to me, that translates to more being built for 2009. Were there?

I found the Super Snake ad on craigslist because there was a rumor that a friend's GT500 (which he sold about one year ago) was for sale by the person who bought it from him. I had to see if that was true, which it turned out to be. That's when I saw the Super Snake ad.

Willie

Ahhhh, come one Willie.......Make an appointment with the loan officer at your local bank or credit union, tell them you want to buy this "Special car" and she/he will say "please sign here X___________". It is as simple as that......

R

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Shelby did not start producing the Super Snakes for the general public until the early part of 2008. Remember, they were taking deposits from anyone who already owned 2007 cars and early 2008 cars and who were ordering 2008 MY cars and didn't start doing the conversions until approx. January of 2008. I know this because I placed an order for my 08 with a Ford dealer in NJ in December of 07 and sent my deposit for a Super Snake conversion to SAI shortly thereafter and flew out to Vegas shortly after the first of the year in 08 to make arrangements with SAI to see if they could accept my car after it was built. They said they would so I made arrangements to have it shipped to Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas as a courtesy delivery. It was built March 5th and arrived at Gaudin Ford from the Autoalliance Plant in Michigan early April and Gaudin Ford delivered it to SAI approx. 1 week later and I drove out and picked it up 3rd week of May 08.

At that time there were only 2 prototype Super Snakes produced for the early run cars. That being an 08 Grabber Orange 605 HP coupe owned by then President of SAI Amy Boylan and an 08 Torch Red 725 HP coupe owned by then VP of Operations Gary Patterson. Don't know why SAI would have built additional concept cars for the 07-09 run Super Snakes because in those early run cars there were very few options available to purchase other than 605 HP option which was a Ford Racing TVS blower or the 725 HP option which was the Kenne Bell blower. Other choices were Ford Racing's Handling Pack or Eibach coil over suspension and either 1/4 window scoops or block off plates and different colored front brake calipers. Black stripes only. If any additional 07-09 prototype cars were built I'm assuming it would have been to showcase any additional options offered for purchase as part of the Super Snake package at later dates as they were released other than the original ones I listed above.

Users who are viewing this thread