2010 GT500 RWHP Question

CaliGT500524

Established Member
Hi all,

I have a 2010 GT500 with the stock M122 and was looking for your opinions on what I can expect as far as RWHP from these following mods. The car currently has a 2.6 pulley with a dyno tune for the pulley but I am looking to add a JLT Big Air CAI, Twin 65MM throttle body, VMP inlet elbow, perhaps a set of S.O.S. coils (40KV) and a Lund Tune to wrap it all up. I have a semi-educated guess about what RWHP may end up being, but I was looking for more experienced opinions/personal experience. I also may be interested in a TVS 2.3 swap down the road so I figure I'll have to do this stuff anyway. Figured this would be a good first-post question so Im looking forward to what you all have to say.

Thanks.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
if you haven't bought anything yet just go straight to the tvs. You can bolt one right up with 13-14 injectors leaving everything else stock if you want. It is what I did starting out. Hit 600rwhp std on 91.

CaliGT500524

Established Member
I'm ultimately leaning towards the TVS 2.3upgrade since the kits are approximately $2200 and the aforementioned parts I want to add total around $1500.

I do daily drive the car and was wondering if there would be any sort of reliability issues in the long run with upgrading to the TVS on the non 5.8l V8.

I am looking for about 580-620 wheel horsepower so with keeping the TVS out of the picture for the moment, I am simply curious as to what the parts I mentioned would net me. 550-570RWHP?

SirShaun

Established Member
I figure 550whp if your lucky. The mods you listed, the gains are relational to how much air your moving. Bigger blower would net larger gains with those mods, I guess it what I am trying to say.

I'm with Cali, just get a TVS and enjoy it. You won't have any reliability issues until you get to 650whp/700whp, then you want to start looking at driveshaft/clutch potentially, if your beating on it often.

I would start the to do list similar to below.
1. TVS with Injectors
2. CAI and Throttlebody
3. Heat Exchanger

If you want more, then put a 2.4 upper on it and make 650whp. Coils are a rip off, avoid buying coils. The OEM coils are proven to work past 1000whp.

4. 1 Piece Driveshaft
5. Clutch
6. Long Tube Headers
7. Bigger Blower with Upgraded Fuel System
8. Work towards 800whp, E85 makes it easy.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm ultimately leaning towards the TVS 2.3upgrade since the kits are approximately $2200 and the aforementioned parts I want to add total around $1500.

I do daily drive the car and was wondering if there would be any sort of reliability issues in the long run with upgrading to the TVS on the non 5.8l V8.

I am looking for about 580-620 wheel horsepower so with keeping the TVS out of the picture for the moment, I am simply curious as to what the parts I mentioned would net me. 550-570RWHP?

It's cheaper to pulley the stock blower but you'll quickly hit a wall. Going to a better blower off the bat is a much better use of your money IMO.

ponyboy96

Established Member
Pulley and a tune will put a smile on your face over stock. Cost about $800. You'll need the tuner anyways for anything else you're doing and the pulley can transfer to a tvs later if you go that route. It's all relative and cumulative. The heat exchanger would be the next thing I'd get. Followed by upper and lower control arms if your racing at all.

CaliGT500524

Established Member
So the car already has a 2.6 pulley with a tune for the pulley. It has also been lowered about an inch all around and it has Steeda LCAs and an adjustable pan hard bar.

With the 2.3 TVS, I don't actually need the better induction side upgrades as far as baseline functionality goes? (Did the 13-14 GT500s have better cold air intakes and all that?) I can get away with just the bigger injectors and TVS? (Obviously I figure the numbers are going to be better with the CAI, throttle body, inlet elbow and whatnot).

Thanks.

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
I did a setup with a 2.5 pulley and JLT Cai last Oct. It lasted a month..go with the TVS its totally worth the investment, Im kicking myself for not doing it right away.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
So the car already has a 2.6 pulley with a tune for the pulley. It has also been lowered about an inch all around and it has Steeda LCAs and an adjustable pan hard bar.

With the 2.3 TVS, I don't actually need the better induction side upgrades as far as baseline functionality goes? (Did the 13-14 GT500s have better cold air intakes and all that?) I can get away with just the bigger injectors and TVS? (Obviously I figure the numbers are going to be better with the CAI, throttle body, inlet elbow and whatnot).

Thanks.
the factory intake works just fine with it right down to the paper filter if you want as long as you stick with the stock tvs pulley. The stock maf will be maxed out if you ever decide to pulley it for more.

CaliGT500524

Established Member
Does the stock 13/14 TVS supercharger require a custom belt? I thought I read something about that. Would the same hold true for the Ford Racing TVS and VMP TVS? Thanks.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
if you haven't bought anything yet just go straight to the tvs. You can bolt one right up with 13-14 injectors leaving everything else stock if you want. It is what I did starting out. Hit 600rwhp std on 91.

im interested in this... are you saying you bolted up a trinity TVS, installed 13/14 injectors and done, that's it? No tune, no fuel pump, nothing else?

LEADfoot927

Established Member
I was at 537whp/ 500wtq with a pullied stock blower, Afco H/E, and exhaust. I found a 2014/14 TVS take off for $1,000 and made 606 whp/ 611wtq. If you can save up for it get the 2.3 TVS, and sell your extra parts. You will have more room to grow, which is essential with the power the muscle cars coming out now. I am only a pulley, throttle body, CAI, and larger fuel injectors from 700whp, and there will still be room to grow.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
Does the stock 13/14 TVS supercharger require a custom belt? I thought I read something about that. Would the same hold true for the Ford Racing TVS and VMP TVS? Thanks.
you either need a new belt or an idler with your stock belt. Applies to both kinds of tvs.
im interested in this... are you saying you bolted up a trinity TVS, installed 13/14 injectors and done, that's it? No tune, no fuel pump, nothing else?
needs tuned, no fuel pump is needed.

Last edited:

yellow03cobra

Established Member
Paper Filter Tvs

My exact mods were tvs, injectors, off road x, and axle back. That's it. Torque was a little lower on the second and third pulls. VMP tune. I sold it recently for a 2.9 whipple.
IMG_0826_1.jpg

Scan.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Users who are viewing this thread