2010 GT500 upgrade

XP900

Established Member
I have a 2010 with 42K and my stock Eaton makes a metallic sound if I let off the gas and hit it again. Usually the rpm is just under 3K when I hear it most and I need the window down to hear it. It sometimes lasts for only a short second but every now and then I hear it longer as the engine rpm goes up. I changed all my pullies to rule them out. There is no belt slippage and the SC seems to perform fine. I'm wondering if this is normal or the beginning of a SC problem.

My other options are Ford Cobra Jet twin 65mm throttle, 123mm JLT CAI, VMP 2.5 SC pulley with 90mm side pulley, one piece Ford driveshaft, BAMA tune for 93 octane.......everything else is stock ---exhaust, crank pulley, 3.55 rear, tire size, fuel pump, injectors.

I may try to up load a sound file if I can.

I have been thinking that maybe I should upgrade at this time since I will be dynoing the car soon and don't want to have to redo it if the SC needs to get replaced.

This brings up the next issue....VMP Gen 3 is on sale and cheaper than the GEN2R but is the GEN2R a better fit for my car. I do not race or drag, no rallying and only hit it now and then on the street. I do NOT want to mess with the bottom end and will never go over 6500 rpm.

If I went with a VMP Gen 3 or 2R, are the stock injectors and pump fine for my use assuming I will always be running only 93 octane all the time with 6300-6500 max rpm with my current options listed above. Should I change to 56lb injectors at the same time before the tune??

Thanks

HKusp

Established Member
If you go with a Gen2R or a Gen 3 I believe you would really WANT to at least move up to the 56lb/hr (really 52's) and a boost a pump. Depending on who tunes the car, they may be able to tune for the Gen3 and stock pumps but you will have to pulley it down quite a bit I would think. The other thing with the Gen 3 (unless they have changed it) is it has to have a special throttle body or an adapter plate to run the twin 65mm TB. I think for your goals the Gen 3 is too much, but others more in the know will chime in soon.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 2010 with 42K and my stock Eaton makes a metallic sound if I let off the gas and hit it again. Usually the rpm is just under 3K when I hear it most and I need the window down to hear it. It sometimes lasts for only a short second but every now and then I hear it longer as the engine rpm goes up. I changed all my pullies to rule them out. There is no belt slippage and the SC seems to perform fine. I'm wondering if this is normal or the beginning of a SC problem.

My other options are Ford Cobra Jet twin 65mm throttle, 123mm JLT CAI, VMP 2.5 SC pulley with 90mm side pulley, one piece Ford driveshaft, BAMA tune for 93 octane.......everything else is stock ---exhaust, crank pulley, 3.55 rear, tire size, fuel pump, injectors.

I may try to up load a sound file if I can.

I have been thinking that maybe I should upgrade at this time since I will be dynoing the car soon and don't want to have to redo it if the SC needs to get replaced.

This brings up the next issue....VMP Gen 3 is on sale and cheaper than the GEN2R but is the GEN2R a better fit for my car. I do not race or drag, no rallying and only hit it now and then on the street. I do NOT want to mess with the bottom end and will never go over 6500 rpm.

If I went with a VMP Gen 3 or 2R, are the stock injectors and pump fine for my use assuming I will always be running only 93 octane all the time with 6300-6500 max rpm with my current options listed above. Should I change to 56lb injectors at the same time before the tune??

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I had a stock 2011 with 55k miles. I've enclosed the link here. It is a STEP by STEP look that answers most your questions.

GEN2R is better than a GEN3 for 93 pump. <--just my opinion

And do not use a BAMA tune!.
There are guys on this site in the MA area. Use a REPUTABLE shop or remote tune and ask around.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/bone-stock-to-fully-modded-11.1166686/

Almost all my parts were purchased off the classifieds on this forum. No need to pay new for everything. I ran pump 93 only, and the new owner drove it from Georgia to Arizona with no issues. It is a dependable setup that works.

VMP Gen2r, 2.5"
Twin 67MM (you can do a 65MM)
JLT 123
13/14 Injectors
VMP Daul BAP
NGK TR71Z Plugs
Metco Idler
180 Thermostat
VMP Heat Exchanger
3X Coolant Tank

Last edited:

HKusp

Established Member
I have almost the exact set-up Kona mentioned above. I remote tuned with BJ at Venomous tuning and he was very thorough and helpful. I use a different plug, have the Lethal performance BAP's which are the same unit as VMP I am told, and the twin 65mm FRPP. I daily my car and wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere (as long as there is no snow in the forcast;) ) and it just turned 150K miles last week. It burns no oil and runs VERY strong.

XP900

Established Member
Welcome to the forum. I had a stock 2011 with 55k miles. I've enclosed the link here. It is a STEP by STEP look that answers most your questions.

GEN2R is better than a GEN3 for 93 pump. <--just my opinion

And do not use a BAMA tune!.
There are guys on this site in the MA area. Use a REPUTABLE shop or remote tune and ask around.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/bone-stock-to-fully-modded-11.1166686/

Almost all my parts were purchased off the classifieds on this forum. No need to pay new for everything. I ran pump 93 only, and the new owner drove it from Georgia to Arizona with no issues. It is a dependable setup that works.

VMP Gen2r, 2.5"
Twin 67MM (you can do a 65MM)
JLT 123
13/14 Injectors
VMP Daul BAP
NGK TR71Z Plugs
Metco Idler
180 Thermostat
VMP Heat Exchanger
3X Coolant Tank

THANKS! I have been looking at those options and considering the purchase.
I don't see any used heat exchangers anywhere...in fact I really don't see a classified section on this site.

Questions.....If can a few options at a time over a month period....can I still drive the car carefully to get it to a shop for tuning.

Example...upgrade the heat exchanger, 3x tank and maybe pump....probably no tune needed..

next...update the injectors and BAP.....do I need a tune just to tune the care carefully....will it start okay still with the larger injectors??

next update the SC to a Gen2r.....will it run with my BAMA tune if I drive really easy and not push the SC on? I do not know if BAMA can give me tune for these specific options even though I have their free tunes for life.

I don't want my tuner dyno and tuning it until I have it all complete and it will a take a few weeks and I have to drive it 30 miles to get to the tuning shop once it is ready.....

THANKS

HKusp

Established Member
You can do the HE, pump, and tank, no issues there. It won't run right with the injectors and BAP on your current tune. I would do them and the SC together. You can get the plug and play BAP's from Lethal, VMP, or Kenne Bell and mount them where you can hook them up, and just wait until you are ready to tune before you actually do it.

Classifieds from this site:

Shelby GT500 Parts Buy/Sell | SVTPerformance.com

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I drive 5 hours, one way to my shop.
I take and save as much stuff as I can and do it all at once. Going from 525rwhp to 700rwhp all at once is awesome.

Also, each time you "retune" your gonna pay. So, guess if you want to pay over and over that's up to you.

Few items I bought new, H/E being one of them.

Holiday sales at VMP are usually good.

XP900

Established Member
I just received a response from BAMA and they said they can provide a tune with my current setup for the 52lb injectors and BAP if I install them. I may try to do them and the VMP or AFCO cooler all at once, tune it with the BAMA tune and get it running. Then add the Gen2R when I get it later in a month or two...out of stcok at VMP.

Bama said to first verify with the tuner that the 52lb injectors are large enough for my Gen2r with my other mods.

Next question....If I get it running with the new injectors and BAP and cooler, can I install the Gen2r without another tune update and drive it gently to the tuner if I keep off the throttle? My stock SC only puts out any pressure when I start pressing on the gas fairly hard.

HKusp

Established Member
The 52's are large enough, but they do limit it a bit which isn't necessarily a bad thing. On a stock bottom end a Gen2R can put out more power than is considered safe by many. I am currently running them and they were my limiting factor as I was "running out of injector" at the top. That being said I was a 656WHP at the wheels last February with a Kenne Bell Bap that was on it's way out. With the Lethals I have now, It's nice and rich in the tune I am running at WOT. On street tires 650HP at the wheels is plenty of power.

Your stock SC is actually putting boost out pretty much all the time. The stock gauge in the dash isn't exactly reading actual boost. It is an algorithm that the computer uses based off of inputs and gives you that reading. Positive displacement superchargers are putting out boost if they are spinning.

As for driving it not tuned for the Gen2R, I wouldn't do it, but smarter people than me will be along and give their opinion.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
^ All the smarter people will say, dont go with a Bama tune

Bama has free tunes for life? Get what you pay for. Or in this case, dont pay for.

I just received a response from BAMA and they said....Bama said to first verify with the tuner that the 52lb injectors are large enough for my Gen2r with my other mods.
^^I'm very confused by this statement. Who's tooning who?

I understand most people can't just drop $10k and do it all at once. In that case, I would stock pile the parts until you have everything.

At this point, I would recommend finding a reputable tuner, and discuss your plans in depth. Let them guide you along the way and follow their recommendations.

If your going in on VMP, than buy their products and let them write your tune for you.

Last edited:

XP900

Established Member
If you do upgrade how much would you sell your eaton for

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I wouldn't sell it until after the tune later this year - need something to go back to if this upgrade doesn't work out. Then I will get rid of it....either VMP trade in or outright sell...it has 42K on it...changed the oil twice so far as a precaution.

XP900

Established Member
So here is my list of things that I have or will purchase...for the 2010 upgrade

VMP Gen2r, 2.5" or 2.6"
Twin 65 Ford Perf Intake
JLT 123
VMP Or Lethal Perf Dual BAP
NGK TR71Z Plugs
90mm VMP idler
170 Thermostat
VMP Heat Exchanger with 3x tank
Either Davies Craig or 13/14 Intercooler Pump

want it done before year end, and the tuner can tune into Dec if needed

QUESTION......The Ford 13/14 injectors are the best cost value but if there is a better set to put in what is the recommended set without going overboard price wise?

I was looking at the DeatschWerks 60 or 70 lb units as an alternative since they seem to fit the power secs and flow at the max high end for this setup...??

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
the 13/14 Injectors are the best option

I can't speak 100%, but the DeatschWerks may not fit/spacers etc? I am not 100% though
The only other injector my tuner prefers, as do others, are ID1000s after the 13/14s are maxed out

Your limiting factor on your setup is NOT the injector. It's Octane

Users who are viewing this thread