2011 5.0 vs. 2007-09 GT500

G Wrecks

Established Member
So I was bored last night and decided to get in my car and go for a small cruise. After driving for about 10 minutes or so, I noticed some familiar lights in my rear view... sure enough it was an 07-09 GT500. Shortly after he pulled up behind me, we were both entering the on ramp on the highway... not knowing whether or not he wanted to play, I stayed at normal speeds. As we were entering, the very first opportunity he had to get over to the left lane he did, at full throttle. So I decided to catch up and pace him, and see if he wanted a little fun. At this time we had both slowed back down to about 65mph and were in 3rd (at least I hope he was in third) I paced and paced, we looked back and forth waiting for someone to make a move, or honk off or whatever. Getting impatient, I punched it just for a second to see what he would do. Right after I punched it he did to, and I thought to myself, "yes! he wants to run... but he wants me to get the jump." After that we were back pacing at 65, and after a few seconds I decided to just lay into the throttle. I jumped out about a car and a half and he never gained on me... actually I was pulling away! I went through 3rd, 4th, and all of 5th gear reaching about 145. After our race we both exited the highway, and at the first light we came to a stop, he gave me a thumbs up and asked what I had done to my car. I replied, "CAI, custom dyno tune, and a cat back exhaust." He was really deflated to find out that I didn't have nitrous or a supercharger and he actually said, "Thats quick, but I should have been able to catch you." I just shrugged and said, "thanks for the race!"

I was really surprised that he didn't catch up and I'll be looking for some more GT500's just so I can be put in my place, but until then... I beat the shit out of GT500's! lol

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Good kill for light mods op! yeah a stock blower Shelby would be a fun race, havnt gotten the chance to tun into any of those or a cobra thats in my league.

Did it sound like he had any mods?

G Wrecks

Established Member
He was definitely stock. With my mods I'm making 414 rwhp and 397 lb/ft torque. From what I've seen the stock 07-09 gt500's make about 430 rwhp when they are heatsoaked, so it makes sense that I won since he gave me the hit

Rob Nelson

Established Member
He was definitely stock. With my mods I'm making 414 rwhp and 397 lb/ft torque. From what I've seen the stock 07-09 gt500's make about 430 rwhp when they are heatsoaked, so it makes sense that I won since he gave me the hit

Nice kill and exact outcome I expected for racing a stock 07-09 GT500. Most of the stock one's in my area dynoed 395-410 rwhp on a dynojet heatsoaked. So your modded 5.0 should inch on that car from a roll with equal drivers considering your car is lighter than a GT500. The 5.0's are pretty sick with a couple mods...

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Well OP you have me and my friend (rattlesnake3 :16) in a confused mind state. We read the story and....

y4anaded.jpg

Nah but real shit I had to share this because its funny as shit, and its true, we don't want it to be true but it is true lol :beer:

Last edited:

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
Nice Kill OP.

Being an 07 GT500 owner. (Stock 455 whp/Tune Only 500/ Currently 575) I could see a bolt-on coyote running away from a stock 500, especially with the weight savings of the new 5.0. Stock 500's are too well mannered in stock form and very prone to heat.

Also a consideration is the gearing in the 500's. When I do roll's with other car's I am always sure to be down a gear.... (for example when I dust my buddy's blown C5 he is in 3rd at a 45ish roll while I am in 2nd)

It took me awhile to figure out to downshift more then I used to coming from the Terminator.

Did the car sound stock?

G Wrecks

Established Member
Nice Kill OP.

Being an 07 GT500 owner. (Stock 455 whp/Tune Only 500/ Currently 575) I could see a bolt-on coyote running away from a stock 500, especially with the weight savings of the new 5.0. Stock 500's are too well mannered in stock form and very prone to heat.

Also a consideration is the gearing in the 500's. When I do roll's with other car's I am always sure to be down a gear.... (for example when I dust my buddy's blown C5 he is in 3rd at a 45ish roll while I am in 2nd)

It took me awhile to figure out to downshift more then I used to coming from the Terminator.

Did the car sound stock?

His car was stock. Didn't even have aftermarket mufflers.

As far as gearing goes, I definitely think that had a huge factor. I mean my 5th gear is a 1:1 ratio and my redline is 7k rpms along with a factory 3.73 final drive ratio. All that equals reaching my top speed a lot sooner.

G Wrecks

Established Member
Well OP you have me and my friend (rattlesnake3 :16) in a confused mind state.

Nah but real shit I had to share this because its funny as shit, and its true, we don't want it to be true but it is true lol :beer:

hahahaha good shit man

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
My tuned Boss kills my stock 07 GT 500 Conv. in every aspect! The 03 485 WHP Cobra will not pass the Boss.......

These new 5.0's are the best car I have ever owned (except for the MT-82)

Mike

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
His car was stock. Didn't even have aftermarket mufflers.

As far as gearing goes, I definitely think that had a huge factor. I mean my 5th gear is a 1:1 ratio and my redline is 7k rpms along with a factory 3.73 final drive ratio. All that equals reaching my top speed a lot sooner.

Yes... When my car was stock I ran a 2002 2V and I had it in 3rd on a 40 roll... That was embarrassing, took me till 90ish to real him back in. He was only a bolt on too.:nonono: I about posted my gt500 for sale that day to get back into a Term. But now I love it.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Yes... When my car was stock I ran a 2002 2V and I had it in 3rd on a 40 roll... That was embarrassing, took me till 90ish to real him back in. He was only a bolt on too.:nonono: I about posted my gt500 for sale that day to get back into a Term. But now I love it.
OUCH!!! That same scenerio happened to me before I had the swap. I raced a fart can Integra with my bolt on Cobra (was 17 then), I was in the wrong gear (it felt good though :shrug:). Damn Integra was right next to me for a while, once I reached my powerband I pulled him nasty but it wasnt the victory I wanted either. I felt….. disappointed in my Cobra, a bit… embarrassed.

Users who are viewing this thread