2011 5.0L Clutch Pedal Issue Fix

kbroush

Established Member
Keep us updated on the GT500 assembly. I will either take the helper spring out of mine or do the swap from a shelby. I just want to see what other peoples thoughts are on the shelby assembly before I do the swap. Thanks.

RFM50

Established Member
no makes it worse. The return spring holds the pedal up. Once you remove it, your pedal will be heavier and the pedal will sag. Mine did this.

Dude I think you have something else going on! Mine doesn't sag at all and returns back way better then it did with the spring in. I have not had it stick to the floor once, since I pulled the extra spring.

SicShelby09

Banned
Dude I think you have something else going on! Mine doesn't sag at all and returns back way better then it did with the spring in. I have not had it stick to the floor once, since I pulled the extra spring.

It doesnt matter anymore anyway. I traded it off for a vette. But I was just trying to help. I went through many clutch woes with my old 11, and it never worked right even with all the tricks.

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member

^Im with him i have 30+ passes and no issues after spring was removed... i dont drive grandpa style so i like the feel of the pedal better

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
Anyone have problems with pushing fluid out of there master cylinder cap after some spirited driving??

mine did that one time as well... this was before i took the spring off, but i did notice that fluid was over the outside of res. and cap was still on

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
Did you ever install the GT500 pedal assembly? If so how does it work?

Yes. I intend on taking it in and having the area touched up once it warms up. The brake fluid has obviously eaten through the paint below the MC. Heard someone say that Ford overfilled them?....:shrug:

ComfortableLiar

Established Member
My sticky pedal caused my pressure plate assembly and clutch to prematurely wear to the point where my dealership replaced them including a new flywheel. I got lucky that the dealership didn't void my warranty and I not have a brand new clutch but I'm determined not to let this happen again.

Has anyone figured out what the absolute best fix for sticky pedal is? I'm reading through this thread and hearing horror stories of guys who straight up removed the spring from the stock assembly and coming up with other issues. I'm not against spending the cash for a GT500 assembly I just want to be sure that this will cure the problem. Will the combo of a GT500 clutch assembly, JHR clutch line, & DOT4 fluid all together fix it? Or does my '12 GT already basically have the GT500 assembly but with the helper spring and will removing the spring do the trick?

I'm at a loss.

Sent from the depths of hell using Tapatalk

5 DOT 0

Established Member
My sticky pedal caused my pressure plate assembly and clutch to prematurely wear to the point where my dealership replaced them including a new flywheel. I got lucky that the dealership didn't void my warranty and I not have a brand new clutch but I'm determined not to let this happen again.

Has anyone figured out what the absolute best fix for sticky pedal is? I'm reading through this thread and hearing horror stories of guys who straight up removed the spring from the stock assembly and coming up with other issues. I'm not against spending the cash for a GT500 assembly I just want to be sure that this will cure the problem. Will the combo of a GT500 clutch assembly, JHR clutch line, & DOT4 fluid all together fix it? Or does my '12 GT already basically have the GT500 assembly but with the helper spring and will removing the spring do the trick?

I'm at a loss.

Changing the clutch line does nothing to fix this problem and while DOT 4 brake fluid might help it won't fix it either. So far the only fix it that I've read is an aftermarket clutch. Ford is leaving us hanging on this one. :bash:

ComfortableLiar

Established Member
What does an aftermarket clutch have to do with fixing the sticky pedal? Seems to me like the clutch sticking is almost entirely due to that stupid helper spring design. When I picked up my car from the dealership today the pedal was completely stuck to the floor and I had to put my foot behind the pedal and pull up. With just a slight bit of pressure it sprung back into place. The helper spring had binded in the opposite direction causing the pedal to stick all the way to the floor when the tech removed the factory clutch.

Once I pulled the pedal back and the spring went back to its normal position it worked fine. I just don't know what to do now.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
What does an aftermarket clutch have to do with fixing the sticky pedal? Seems to me like the clutch sticking is almost entirely due to that stupid helper spring design. When I picked up my car from the dealership today the pedal was completely stuck to the floor and I had to put my foot behind the pedal and pull up. With just a slight bit of pressure it sprung back into place. The helper spring had binded in the opposite direction causing the pedal to stick all the way to the floor when the tech removed the factory clutch.

Once I pulled the pedal back and the spring went back to its normal position it worked fine. I just don't know what to do now.

I'm not convinced it's just the spring and taking it off ruins the feel. I think most of the "transmission" problems are the clutch pressure plate and fingers not capable to handle the high revs. If yours was stuck to the floor sitting still you have another issue.

ComfortableLiar

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the pedal was stuck sitting still due to something the tech either didn't do or missed once he buttoned up the car. Maybe the pedal went completely to the floor when the whole clutch assembly was removed and the spring just kept it in place? I don't know, but the pedal works fine now in normal driving once I lifted it up off the floor.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Many of us are having issues with the clutch sticking to the floor under high RPM conditions especially while tracking our cars.

ComfortableLiar

Established Member
My sticky pedal always happens when driving the car hard and shifting over 7k as well. This is the 1st and only time it's ever done that sitting still. Again I think it was just an error on the tech's part.

Last edited:

Larry03GT

Established Member
After the SC install clutch would stick almost every time on high RPM's. Did the simple 15min DIY and took out the assist spring a while back ago and never had the clutch stick again. Why spend $100+ to buy a new assembly when the only diffrence is the assist spring and the mounting tabs for the assist spring. everything else is 100% the same.

ComfortableLiar

Established Member
After the SC install clutch would stick almost every time on high RPM's. Did the simple 15min DIY and took out the assist spring a while back ago and never had the clutch stick again. Why spend $100+ to buy a new assembly when the only diffrence is the assist spring and the mounting tabs for the assist spring. everything else is 100% the same.

So you haven't experienced any problems due to removing the helper spring? How many miles have you driven the car with the assist spring removed?

Someone was saying their pedal was sagging on the top portion of the pedal stroke after removing the assist spring. Someone else mentioned the clutch pedal being ridiculously heavy after removing it. These are the reasons for me being apprehensive to removing it. I'm just looking for a consensus on what the best remedy for sticky pedal is.

It makes me a sad panda that Ford hasn't issued a TSB or recognized this issue at all. Then again I think the majority of people experiencing the issue are tuned and have their rev limiter raised.

Users who are viewing this thread