2011 Driveshaft

Carl

Established Member
Asking anyone with a 2011 GT500, is the factory driveshaft aluminum?

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
cant wait to look up under mine. my brother took delivery and placed it in the garage but he said it was a 2 piece steel thats why i ordered the dynotech from lethal. he needs to go and look again i need accurate information lol

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
so did I waste money getting a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft? I thought it was steele so I ordered an aluminum one. Oh well guess it will just be stronger then having a one piece over a two. Think I will slow down on ordering until I give the car a good once over but I know I will be ordering the Rad/HE on the first of the month. Hope all works out well

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
so did I waste money getting a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft? I thought it was steele so I ordered an aluminum one. Oh well guess it will just be stronger then having a one piece over a two. Think I will slow down on ordering until I give the car a good once over but I know I will be ordering the Rad/HE on the first of the month. Hope all works out well

no you didnt cause the 1 pc is still lighter than the 2 pc

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
Does anyone know how much the stock 2010/2011 gt500 drive shaft weighs? Also is the one piece stronger than the 2 piece or is it just lighter? Thanks.

kevinp

Established Member
I dunno, the supplement says my 2010 is supposed to have an aluminum 2 piece and it doesnt.

Unless they make aluminum that rusts and is magnetic these days :)

NightEnforcer

Established Member
The supplemnet is wrong. The 2011 GT500 drive shaft is a two piece steel unit. I swapped mine last weekend for a one piece aluminum unit I purchased from Shelby when they had their sale on over the 4th of July. I weighed it but can't put my fingers on the exact numbers right now but I believe the original two piece unit weighed 41 or 42 pounds. The one piece is stronger!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The supplemnet is wrong. The 2011 GT500 drive shaft is a two piece steel unit. I swapped mine last weekend for a one piece aluminum unit I purchased from Shelby when they had their sale on over the 4th of July. I weighed it but can't put my fingers on the exact numbers right now but I believe the original two piece unit weighed 41 or 42 pounds. The one piece is stronger!

the stock steel on the 07-09 was 43lbs, but ford was advertizing the new 10-11 had Aluminum 2 pc. so i guess they lied.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
not trying to be an A-- but I thought that someone was answering from experience, but it seems they are answering from something they read. When mine was delivered my brother basically looked under the car while it was on the truck. He has a few physical handicaps which prevents him from any serious physical movements. He said from what he saw it was a two piece steel, the car had an H pipe instead of x and was 2 3/4 exhaust. So when I get home the first thing I'm changing is the driveshaft after I drive it and hope for no vibration.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I bought the car based on the aluminum drive shaft I read about in Ford literature. If It's steel, it's going back.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
I'm going to go with steel:

946874861_btfNp-M.jpg

946876504_b6gEg-M.jpg

946876175_jmcZ2-M.jpg

Carl

Established Member
Steel it is!! I went and checked one with a magnet at a dealer today and it's steel. So much for that idea...

NightEnforcer

Established Member
As I said, I installed the new aluminum one piece drive shaft last Sunday. I was worried that the original one was aluminum as the supplement indicates because I bought the aluminum unit without checking. When I put it up in the air and put a magnet on it -- it was steel.

I wonder if Ford was going to install a two piece aluminum unit, but the bean counters got in the way and put a halt to it. Has anybody called SVT about it yet? It will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
As I said, I installed the new aluminum one piece drive shaft last Sunday. I was worried that the original one was aluminum as the supplement indicates because I bought the aluminum unit without checking. When I put it up in the air and put a magnet on it -- it was steel.

I wonder if Ford was going to install a two piece aluminum unit, but the bean counters got in the way and put a halt to it. Has anybody called SVT about it yet? It will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

I would be suprised if this wasn't the case. Kind of suprising since the phrase of the day at ford is "LOSE WEIGHT." Could have made it part of the PP package if not standard.

Users who are viewing this thread