2011 gt vs 2010 camero ss

hammerhead2

Established Member
Just to add some more insight to the discussion. I am at NMCA vs NMRA at Z-Max in Chralotte this weekend and there are a couple stock 2011 GT's here. They have both been running 12.8-13.0 at 110-112 mph. I like both cars but it would certainly seem the new mustang has the advantage in stock form.

04nccobra

Established Member
Good read to me as I am selling my Terminator and going over to the darkside tomorrow buying a 10 SS. I know I am a traitor, been a ford mustang man my whole life but it was time for a change. I tell you what I have been test driving both the 5.0 and the SS for weeks now and they are equally as fast. I am not surprised that the SS stayed with you. Now when it comes to modifications I think the 5.0 responds better. I would have purchased the 5.0 but I couldn't get past the rear end view of it. I am sure going to miss the power of the Terminator but these SS are fun cars that seem to do everything well. CAI, Long Tubes, and a Tune in my near future and then maybe I'll go looking for some 5.0s. Just remember all of us driving these SS are not A-holes...

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
^^^bad move...how do you like your blindspots? and they weigh a ton!!!! i am not a big fan of these cars at all...the gauges are cool but the whole styling and interior is so blah...buy a challenger instead!

04nccobra

Established Member
Well to answer your question, yeah I wish the interior was layed out differantly but it's much better than my Cobra's except for the seats. The blind spot is a pia for sure but not a deal breaker. If I remember the 10 weighs in around 3700 lbs and the 5.0 is just above 3600 lbs, I think my Cobra is 3680 lbs.

I too didn't like the looks of the Camaro but it has grown on me, I guess it reminds me of my all time favorite car a 69 Camaro SS. Again I don't think it can match the raw power of my Terminator but overall it does a very good job with what it has for hp.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
The base Camaro SS weighs 3860lbs with cloth seats. It's built off a platform shared from a full sized sedan.

Similarly equipped the Mustang GT is roughly 250lbs lighter.

Sent using Tapatalk

04nccobra

Established Member
Some sites list 3780, some 3880 who knows whats right, I'll weigh her at the track to find out. If it does weigh in at 3880 the fact that it's trapping at 111 mph is even more impressive. And again as much as I wanted to love the 5.0 and stay in the Ford family the 5.0 didn't do it for me.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Some sites list 3780, some 3880 who knows whats right, I'll weigh her at the track to find out. If it does weigh in at 3880 the fact that it's trapping at 111 mph is even more impressive. And again as much as I wanted to love the 5.0 and stay in the Ford family the 5.0 didn't do it for me.

It's listed as 3860lbs from the manufacture.

As for trap speeds, they vary A LOT, but yes it does perform well considering how heavy it is. The LS3 is a great engine.

I don't think it's really neck and neck with a GT though. People like to compare records, but it's easy to manipulate times with negative DA conditions in mineshaft air. I think all that really matter is how they do head to head, in the same conditions with reasonable drivers.

[youtube_browser]uhNRDXaSJkA[/youtube_browser]

SSmokinn SS

Established Member
^^^bad move...how do you like your blindspots? and they weigh a ton!!!! i am not a big fan of these cars at all...the gauges are cool but the whole styling and interior is so blah...buy a challenger instead!

LOL your complaining about weight but yet you tell the dude to get a CHALLENGER :pepper:

you realize the challenger has the same power as the camaro, doesnt handle nearly as well and weighs 500lbs heavier, right?

SSmokinn SS

Established Member
It's listed as 3860lbs from the manufacture.

As for trap speeds, they vary A LOT, but yes it does perform well considering how heavy it is. The LS3 is a great engine.

I don't think it's really neck and neck with a GT though. People like to compare records, but it's easy to manipulate times with negative DA conditions in mineshaft air. I think all that really matter is how they do head to head, in the same conditions with reasonable drivers.

[youtube_browser]uhNRDXaSJkA[/youtube_browser]

one video isn't going to put a end to this argument my man.

Heater

Just Bolt On's
Established Member
Camero's have LS engines in them.

LS engines were made by God therefore cannot be beaten.

/thread

GT Stang

Torque
Established Member
While I generally agree with you, what about power under the curve? This is one of the few areas where the SS has a significant advantage and probably is what keeps the runs pretty close. Peak power is only telling part of the story.

GT vs SS, Same day, same dyno, same conditions. The SS is the green line.

201120mustang20vs20201020camaro.jpg

tune them both and let that stang to shift at 7K or even more ,as u can see the hp didn't even start to fall ,, also the mustang will stay in the power band because of the gears ratio :beer:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
one video isn't going to put a end to this argument my man.

Meh, there is nothing to argue. The GT is almost 250lbs lighter and it puts down nearly the same power.

LuLz at people feeling the need to correct the spelling of CamEro :whine:

Dude, this is a car enthusiast forum based on American cars. Not knowing how to spell Camaro is pretty ****ing ridiculous. :)

Heater

Just Bolt On's
Established Member
I'm sure that I spell better than you; I just choose to spell it CamEro.

Have a nice day ass wipe :beer:

Last edited:

Kewlv8

Established Member
Meh, there is nothing to argue. The GT is almost 250lbs lighter and it puts down nearly the same power.

Yes, the GT is faster, albeit by a small margin for the Manual version. That margin is larger vs. the Camaro SS Automatic, which is both porkier and less powerful (3920 lbs @ 400HP). Of course, true nutswingers know that their chosen brand\model will defy the laws of physics on a daily basis....... so the argument goes on ;-)

04nccobra

Established Member
Well picked up the new 2010 SS yesterday 1SS model, Silver with Silver Rally Stripes, 4-gauge pack, 20" wheels, performance exhaust, shifter, and Prem Mats for $27,000.00 the car is beautiful. I drove the 4 hour trip home last night and here are my opinions. The car rides beautiful compared to the Cobra, no shakes, rattles, harsh bumps, handles very well. Very comfortable driving positions. I love the onstar sytem.

The car is a beast in 1st and 2nd gear, slight wheel hop in the shift between those gears the traction control on this car actually does a really nice job on launches. It pulls hard and I think it would be in front of the 5.0 in those gears stock vs stock, 3rd and 4th gear are strong also but I think this is where the 5.0 would edge out the SS. My immediate plans are for a CAI, Tuner & Tune, sticky Tires, and possibly a 75-hp nos shot.

Also I am told the weight issues in these SS are in the 20" wheels and tires. Apparently there is approx 160 lbs to be saved there. I might look into some lightweight versions

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Yes, the GT is faster, albeit by a small margin for the Manual version. That margin is larger vs. the Camaro SS Automatic, which is both porkier and less powerful (3920 lbs @ 400HP). Of course, true nutswingers know that their chosen brand\model will defy the laws of physics on a daily basis....... so the argument goes on ;-)

Absolutely agree 100%

EDIT Oops, I didn't even notice I posted this same chart months back. This is an old thread lol

This will probably start a poop storm but everyone is so stuck on the peak power between the two when that is only part of the story. Yes, it is very close at peak, but take a look at a same dyno comparison between the two. When you look at power under the curve, the LS3 is clearly superior, which is why it keep it somewhat close given the significant weight and gearing deficiencies.

Camaro = Green
Mustang = Red

201120mustang20vs20201020camaro-1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread